• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I guess I should have stayed up later last night... everyone beat me to the punch on the headlines lol.

Well, here it is again... Songbird ReMix Kiwis are out!

I also have additional Kiwi freebies available in my Songbird ReMix Downloads.

KiwisCuplg.jpg

Above: The artwork for my Kiwi Coffee mugs available at Red Bubble, Zazzle and Cafe Press. I have shirts too.

I should have the burrow prop wrapped up today and tested by mid-week, which means it will be in the store by the end of the month (or sooner)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The Great Backyard Bird Count starts today and it’s never been easier to join. Anyone, anywhere in the world can participate by watching birds for just 15 minutes on one or more days of the count. If you can identify a robin, crow, or pigeon, you can help!

Last year, birdwatchers of all skill levels from over 100 countries participated in the count, documenting over 5,000 species—nearly half the possible bird species in the world—on more than 147,000 bird checklists. The data collected each year are essential to understanding how to help birds survive against both global threats like climate change and local threats like habitat loss.

So from February 12-15, join in the Great Backyard Bird Count on your own or in a local event and help us protect the birds we all love.

Szark

Awesome
Just a quick Iray test render

My only gripe is that the beak doesn't have a mat zone of it own. I will have to see if I can split it off myself. Otherwise very happy

kiwi1 copy.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Just a quick Iray test render

My only gripe is that the beak doesn't have a mat zone of it own. I will have to see if I can split it off myself. Otherwise very happy

View attachment 3549

I debated on giving the beak a different material zone, but I've found (especially in DAZ Studio) doing that often creates a seam due to their preliminarily material settings (plastic, matte, glossy, etc). In addition, with shifting feathered/beak lines depending on species it be be an issue, so it's been my practice in later models to not do the separate zone.

Szark

Awesome
Thanks for the explanation Ken, though I have never had issues with your latter birds with the Beak having a separate zone.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sweet render there Szark.

Hey Ken, anyway we can use this image of yours for a homepage banner? Can I post it on our HiveWire facebook page with a link back to your post?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Oh, forgot to say that your mini environment for your Kiwi's is very cool. You seemed to whip that out pretty quickly too.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Lovely render Szark...this is sitting in my trolley while I decide what else to buy with it. I can't make up my mind whether to wait for Ravyn outfit to be available for DS or grab it now instead of some of Dawn's lovely items. Decisions...

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Sweet render there Szark.

Hey Ken, anyway we can use this image of yours for a homepage banner? Can I post it on our HiveWire facebook page with a link back to your post?

Your welcome to use any of my renders... I'll have a few more very soon as I do some promo work for the burrow set

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Excellent work on the Kiwi!!! Kiwi's are sooo cute in an odd sort of way.

Thanks for the link to the Great Backyard Bird Count!!
I have my check list, and I'm planning a weekend out doors!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Thank, Ken found the add on's on page SIX.... and so looking forward to your little 'environment' model! Mapping looking SO good!!!

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Awesome pack - these guys are just soooo cute. Cool render, Szark!

Szark

Awesome
Thanks guys but it was only a quick exercise to see what it looked like in Iray. Looks better now that I have honed the surfaces and converted the bump maps in to Normal maps and better fitting lighting and environment. Plus I think the image is good enough for this years contest so I will hold off showing it when it finishes rendering. :) I must say that is does scrub up well in Iray.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'm getting closer on the "Kiwi Burrow"... I scrapped the bush lily model I had for a new one and re-added it to the scene. Here's the Great Spotted Kiwi and a couple Puiri moths in a Firefly Render. Next on my list is trying to get Studio to cooperate and give the same (or better results).
GSpotKiwi.jpg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
love those large round leaf plants!! and ya know come to think of it... Kiwi's look like alien creatures in another world.... :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
love those large round leaf plants!! and ya know come to think of it... Kiwi's look like alien creatures in another world.... :)
Me too. Ken called them common shield fern (aka pikopiko), and I like the fringed look around the edges of some of them. :)