• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Smartphone

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Well... If you follow Axel Foley's lead, a banana in the tailpipe is doing work, so technically... Yes... And frozen bananas can be used to temporarily prop a door open or stun a rat if you have good aim.

Now that you mention it, I use to drive a Citroën 2CV - in the Netherlands lovingly called an 'Ugly Duck' though I don't know why. It was my first car and legend has it, that car will start & drive in every circumstance, in every situation and the gear-shift is basically just for the fun of it because it will take a turn in every gear. I personally tell you that all of that is true.
That little wonder can even take banana-mush incase you don't have oil anymore to lubricate the engine.
It's true, two men drove through the desert in a Citroën 2CV and they ran out of car oil. Only thing they had left were a bunch of banana's and the mush kept the engine going.
True story

quietrob

Extraordinary
Or Bananarama. :D
I shouldn't write stuff first thing in the morning or late at night

Miss B for the Win!

And yes! I liked Bananarama!

I don't know if they drove Citroën 2CV but I bet they didn't have a smartphone either.

There! I linked it all up!

McGyver

Energetic
I'd believe pretty much anything about a 2CV.
Good or bad.
It ranks right up at around my top 20 favorite cars, because you seemingly can't kill them.
When I was a kid, I'd visit my dad in Italy and my brother's friend had a yellow late 60s 2cv, that looked a bit "warped", it had obviously had some sort of an accident...
I later found out that apparently the friend had driven off the road late one night and the car ended up in an olive tree... The friend wasn't hurt and managed to climb out and down with a little help.
Being that it was late, he decided to leave it and come back in the morning to figure out what to do.
When he returned the next morning, they found it sideways way down at the bottom of the steep terrain against a rock next to the road below.
They surmised it fell out of the tree and slid and rolled (hitting various trees and objects) until it came to rest below.
It tracked oddly, looked like a giant dog had chewed it, but it ran and aside from needing to be repainted (badly it looked like someone painted it with a spray can) needing new glass, wheels and various exterior bits, it lived on as that guy's daily driver for years.

Last edited:

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
That car is awesome! It was the first car I drove and the last thing I bought together with my father.
I remember him running into the dealership, sliding under it all the while calling to me "You got to buy this one!"
I didn't have my liscense yet but he didn't think that would be a problem, I was going to take the test 6 weeks later and I would surely pass.
Two weeks later he died and I failed the first test, passed the third one though and drove the "Ugly Duck" the first time with 6 - yesss 6 - headbangers in there to a heavy-metal concert of some famous rockband. It had no radio but someone brought a portable tape-recorder and to the beat of 'for those about to rock' the little white car would slowly creep up a hill with 6 headbangers moving back and front just to help the speed. Downhill was no problem, we would overtake every porsche and ferrari in the death defying race down. Still with AC/DC blasting from the tape recorder.
I cried the day I had to sell my "Puck the Duck" because the maintenance was starting to cost more then the car was worth, they don't make them anymore you know so the spare parts are becoming extremely rare.
But did we have fun with our chariot of rock back then.

Hornet3d

Wise
That car is awesome! It was the first car I drove and the last thing I bought together with my father.
I remember him running into the dealership, sliding under it all the while calling to me "You got to buy this one!"
I didn't have my liscense yet but he didn't think that would be a problem, I was going to take the test 6 weeks later and I would surely pass.
Two weeks later he died and I failed the first test, passed the third one though and drove the "Ugly Duck" the first time with 6 - yesss 6 - headbangers in there to a heavy-metal concert of some famous rockband. It had no radio but someone brought a portable tape-recorder and to the beat of 'for those about to rock' the little white car would slowly creep up a hill with 6 headbangers moving back and front just to help the speed. Downhill was no problem, we would overtake every porsche and ferrari in the death defying race down. Still with AC/DC blasting from the tape recorder.
I cried the day I had to sell my "Puck the Duck" because the maintenance was starting to cost more then the car was worth, they don't make them anymore you know so the spare parts are becoming extremely rare.
But did we have fun with our chariot of rock back then.

The 2CV was the go to car for young drivers here in the UK for many years not only because they were so rugged but it was a way to get insured cheaply and earn some no claims bonus before they moved on.

Maybe I am getting old but I remember my old cars with a lot of fondness, the pure adventure of wondering if you were going to reach your destination without drama every time you set off. I love new cars with all the gadgets and extra features, like actually keeping you warm and dry, but the same character is missing.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Maybe I am getting old but I remember my old cars with a lot of fondness, the pure adventure of wondering if you were going to reach your destination without drama every time you set off. I love new cars with all the gadgets and extra features, like actually keeping you warm and dry, but the same character is missing.

I totally understand that. I can't get used to all these "remakes" of "retro-models" like the 'new and improved' -version of the mini, the Fiat 500 and such. The new Fiat 500 can contain 2 of the old models, it's nowhere near the original at all

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
My Grandad had a 2CV when he was younger, maroon and black it was. I've only seen pictures of it as Grandad sold it before I was born. Now he can't drive at all because he had a stroke and has to be cared for day and night.

Hornet3d

Wise
My Grandad had a 2CV when he was younger, maroon and black it was. I've only seen pictures of it as Grandad sold it before I was born. Now he can't drive at all because he had a stroke and has to be cared for day and night.

Sorry to hear that about your Grandad, it is a long, long time ago now but my Grandfather had lung cancer and had to have everything done for him, not nice. My thoughts are with you.

quietrob

Extraordinary
And mine. A like button just isn't appropriate. We need a "feel your pain" button.

My paternal grandmother, god bless her soul, rode a harley. She was wild, ahead of her time and ate life in big gulps. One of our joys was her cramming her three grand kids into the sidecar (My sister and I weren't very big) and tooling around Washington D.C.

McGyver

Energetic
My stepdad was a "bit" of a biker in his day... He had some great stories of his carefree days and some of the amazing bikes he owned... Now he can't remember any of it... I tell my girls about what I can remember, but it's nothing like his hot rod and bike stories.

Hornet3d

Wise
My stepdad was a "bit" of a biker in his day... He had some great stories of his carefree days and some of the amazing bikes he owned... Now he can't remember any of it... I tell my girls about what I can remember, but it's nothing like his hot rod and bike stories.

That is really sad, many of the memories I have from many years ago are from photographs taken at the time but I worry about the future. I was recently asked by my mother-in-law to take pictures at a pantomime which wife was appearing in, something I have done for a number of years. This year I was told I could not take photos as there were children in the production and it was against the data protection act. I know this to be untrue but did not argue however, I wonder just how memories are being lost for the future. I totally understand the need to protect children but I feel sad that in modern Britain anyone with a camera is regarded as either a pedifile or a terroist. Particualrly as this type of correctness does little to stop the pedifile or the terrorist but impacts photographers in general. I also fear that not only will all this history be lost but soon we will be unable to understand what is going on in some parts of the world as the photographers will be a dying breed.

OK, off my soap box and back to the photos and renders.

McGyver

Energetic
That's pretty lousy... I'd be really bothered if couldn't take pictures of my kids in a play or show of some sort.
I think a lot of imagery history will be lost now that almost everything is digital... It sounds weird, because it's extremely cheap to take good pictures now, but people tend to treat pictures cheaply, and store and file them badly...
I know folks who delete whole bunches of pictures for some stupid reason and regret it later... Also lose them or don't back them up well.
We'd be so screwed if there was a sizable enough solar storm... Not enough to be lethal to the planet, but enough to screw up servers and such.
Though I've read it's debatable on both sides, as to what is protected and what is not, as well as if that is a possibility in so far as if it's bad enough to fry a significant amount of electronics and still be survivable.
The prohibition on photos is pretty harsh and sounds like another one of those "burn down the house to kill the rats" solutions our wise officials on both sides of the pond keep coming up with.
They could at least offer professional or "official" photos for family and performers...
My friend owns a dancing school... So in the past since film cameras generally needed a flash to produce a decent low light photo, parents and attendees at their shows were forbidden to use flash cameras, as the flash could result in distraction and a fall... But at least the school offered a professional video and photos of the event.
I'd have hoped if someone is going to forbid photos they have some service of a similar nature available... Otherwise that's pretty unfair and shortsighted.
I agree with what you say about such knee jerk reactions...
People have to go to extremes... They overreact or they act recklessly...
One of my daughters was watching some YouTube videos by a well known young YouTube star...
She mostly does gymnastics, but it's not like it's at shows, its at home with friends in her room and some stuff is borderline inappropriate in private, nevermind making it a public video...
And some stunts are actually dangerous. It's fairly clear her family is allowing it since they pop up and egg her or her friends on in some videos.
My daughter actually pointed the weirder videos out after a conversation about dumb behavior by parents.
I see stuff like that, (and it's not uncommon on YouTube) and all I can come up with is "what the hell are you thinking?"... But I'm suppose it's mostly "this will surely get more views"...
Humans...
You have two vastly different ends of the spectrum...
Overreactive or absolutely lax... Too often anything in between is too sensible to attempt.
Sadly, it's always one of two ends that either writes the rules or bangs the drum the loudest.

Hornet3d

Wise
That's pretty lousy... I'd be really bothered if couldn't take pictures of my kids in a play or show of some sort.
I think a lot of imagery history will be lost now that almost everything is digital... It sounds weird, because it's extremely cheap to take good pictures now, but people tend to treat pictures cheaply, and store and file them badly...
I know folks who delete whole bunches of pictures for some stupid reason and regret it later... Also lose them or don't back them up well.
We'd be so screwed if there was a sizable enough solar storm... Not enough to be lethal to the planet, but enough to screw up servers and such.
Though I've read it's debatable on both sides, as to what is protected and what is not, as well as if that is a possibility in so far as if it's bad enough to fry a significant amount of electronics and still be survivable.
The prohibition on photos is pretty harsh and sounds like another one of those "burn down the house to kill the rats" solutions our wise officials on both sides of the pond keep coming up with.
They could at least offer professional or "official" photos for family and performers...
My friend owns a dancing school... So in the past since film cameras generally needed a flash to produce a decent low light photo, parents and attendees at their shows were forbidden to use flash cameras, as the flash could result in distraction and a fall... But at least the school offered a professional video and photos of the event.
I'd have hoped if someone is going to forbid photos they have some service of a similar nature available... Otherwise that's pretty unfair and shortsighted.
I agree with what you say about such knee jerk reactions...
People have to go to extremes... They overreact or they act recklessly...
One of my daughters was watching some YouTube videos by a well known young YouTube star...
She mostly does gymnastics, but it's not like it's at shows, its at home with friends in her room and some stuff is borderline inappropriate in private, nevermind making it a public video...
And some stunts are actually dangerous. It's fairly clear her family is allowing it since they pop up and egg her or her friends on in some videos.
My daughter actually pointed the weirder videos out after a conversation about dumb behavior by parents.
I see stuff like that, (and it's not uncommon on YouTube) and all I can come up with is "what the hell are you thinking?"... But I'm suppose it's mostly "this will surely get more views"...
Humans...
You have two vastly different ends of the spectrum...
Overreactive or absolutely lax... Too often anything in between is too sensible to attempt.
Sadly, it's always one of two ends that either writes the rules or bangs the drum the loudest.

One of the reasons I was asked to take the pictures was because I was using a camera that I could boost the speed and not use flash as flash was banned for the reasons you stated, understandably. No there was no official photographs that I was aware of so the only one I suspect were the ones snapped discretely with a smart phones.