• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Unfortunately after running the tablet, and then attempting to open Carrara, it failed again to load. It sounded like a reasonable solution there for awhile, since NET framework errors have been common in the past with tablet drivers conflicting with other software. However, in this case, Carrara still fails to load....so I'll just keep it installed on a Windows 7 drive so that I have access to it when its needed. Thanks everyone for the tips....at least we tried :)

:coding:

Terre

Renowned
Good evening. At least you have a way to get what you need working, Sky. Not perfect but as least functional.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Hey Stezza :) I'll be needing my tablet on my main workstation, so I'll just access Carrara on the older drive...the tablet will require Windows 10...so it'll be best in my workflow to do it that way. Thanks for the tip :) Sounds like a NET framework bug.

And, more troubleshooting tips....in this article about how to fix Poser library since the loss of flash.

yep,
dunno if trying 'ticking the tablet compatibility mode' will work if you haven't tried it..

1611282021114.png

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah, good to see you :) The animation was actually by Janet...I was testing it for her in Studio. I'm sure I left something unchecked with it failing to render the fur, but otherwise I think Janet did a great job with Moshi :) Hope all is going well for you these days....we miss seeing you :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hey Seliah, good to see you :) The animation was actually by Janet...I was testing it for her in Studio. I'm sure I left something unchecked with it failing to render the fur, but otherwise I think Janet did a great job with Moshi :) Hope all is going well for you these days....we miss seeing you :)

Yeah, I'm so sorry! I'm around, it's just been absolutely nuts. I work in healthcare, so you can imagine what my schedule has been like over the last year or so. I've been put out of work for a few months at the moment, though, so hopefully I'll be around a little bit more. At least for a while. ^_^ I miss my art! :roflmao: :laugh:

skylab

Esteemed
Oh my goodness, I didn't realize that you were still involved in healthcare....what a nightmare this year must have been for you! I have the greatest respect for anyone who is willing to frontline healthcare work at this time. I put in 30 years with it, but never in all that time was there anything equal to what we've seen over the past year. One of the things that I said upon retirement was that if we ever had something like a pandemic occur, the system would be totally blindsided, so I can only imagine what it took to get the staff functioning with proper procedures. I guess life and death scenarios have a way of bringing the training into practice.

Seliah, glad you'll be around a little more, and back in 3D. I took a break last year to move, so I'm just now getting back up and running. I've been trying out DAZ Studio 4.15 and the new Genesis 8.1 Michael. Took me awhile to figure out that everything for Genesis 8 works for 8.1 (except expressions), because I was not about to start over with that content. The difference will be, anything created for 8.1 will only work with 8.1. So I'll be trying out just Michael 8.1 to check out the facial expressions/animations.

I was just beginning to get the hang of Studio when I had to take a break last year....so things like the fur failing to render on Moshi is just my newbie mistake. I could see the calculations being made during the rendering process, and it takes longer for a fur animation to render...so the time was there, but it probably required my checking something when doing fur, so Moshi ended up furless :) I'm enjoying using Studio, and am at least past the "jaw-dropping" stage when opening the program. I can remember doing the same thing the first time I used Poser, just totally overwhelmed...haha. Seliah, I remember your being somewhat of a Studio guru around here, so feel free to advise, instruct, help, whatever....I'm sure by now you know where ALL the bells and whistles are :) And welcome back! :)

:snoopydances:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh my goodness, I didn't realize that you were still involved in healthcare....what a nightmare this year must have been for you!

Yeah, I'm still involved. I'm actually still involved specifically because of the pandemic. I re-treaded back in March due to the need for healthcare workers. I spent 10 years in the field before that. 5 years as a CNA, and then 5 more years as an EMT-B. So, when I re-treaded, I went back as a CNA with the understanding that if we started to lose EMT's in my area, I'd re-cert for that and move back over to that area as well. (I was much happier as an EMT anyway, but I can't drive nowadays due to not being able to afford to replace my glasses 2-3 times a year every time the astigmatisms in my eyes decide to change, and it's just not fair to one's partner to stick the same person with driving all of the time.)

So. Yeah. I had left the field for several years due to on-the-job injury. But I went back for the pandemic. And I was continuing to work up until recently. I will probably go back again once my current issues are no longer requiring me to stay off my feet.

Yes, it's been a tough year. But nothing that's happened here has surprised me in the slightest. I've known for many years that a sizable portion of this country's population are selfish instant-gratification-centered cavemen. I also know that a lot of this nonsense we're seeing now happened here during the 1918 pandemic as well. And given how this for-profit healthcare crap has led to intentional understaffing and under-supplying of healthcare workers in facilities for years, I was also NOT the slight bit surprised at the PPE and supply shortages, either. We all knew this would happen in another pandemic, because we've seen this coming for years, and the idiots looking at profit margins could care less about the patients or about the staff trying to care for those patients. My facility is STILL rationing our n95's. I am STILL having to bake my ONE weekly mask in my oven at home. I am STILL having to buy and supply a lot of my gloves because there just aren't enough to go around. Nothing has changed since February with this situation. I'm hopeful that with an administration in place that actually pays attention, this will begin to change soon. I hope.

The nurses recently had a strike at a nearby hospital here, too. The pandemic was not the cause of the strike, but it did exacerbate the already existing problems and provide the last bit of fuel to set the strike in motion. We are not heroes. We are not some mythical legend rushing into battle knowing we're going to be struck down. We never signed up to do our jobs without our necessary safety equipment in place, and prior to this pandemic, we would have been written up, disciplined, and-or fired for working without it, and endangering ourselves, our coworkers, and our patients this way. No one expects firefighters to go into a burning building without their turnout gear. But that's exactly what we're being expected to do.

I've had this virus twice. Every single one of my coworkers has been sick with it at LEAST once, and most of us twice. They don't keep you at home when you're sick, either. You can get a positive test, and still be told to come back into work if you "aren't showing symptoms." The only time they keep you out of work for having it, is if you're showing visible symptoms. So, in other words, they don't care if you infect people, they only care if the public can SEE that they're at risk of you infecting them. This is all typical for-profit healthcare management crap.

So, yeah. It's been a tough year. But the main things that have made it a tough year could have been avoided if people would just listen, do what they're asked, and oh, I dunno... maybe care about someone other than themselves or their profit margins for a change???

The for-profit aspect of this nonsense was actually the main reason I left the field int he first place. My parting words to my DON at the time were along the lines of "Call me when healthcare is actually interested in healing patients instead of turning a profit and growing someone's off-shore bank account. I don't work for insurance or pharmaceutical companies, and I don't work for shareholders."

Shrugs. We're getting by. We always do.

Seliah, glad you'll be around a little more, and back in 3D. I took a break last year to move, so I'm just now getting back up and running. I've been trying out DAZ Studio 4.15 and the new Genesis 8.1 Michael. Took me awhile to figure out that everything for Genesis 8 works for 8.1 (except expressions), because I was not about to start over with that content. The difference will be, anything created for 8.1 will only work with 8.1. So I'll be trying out just Michael 8.1 to check out the facial expressions/animations.

Yes, I'm actually trying to get Poser up and running again, so I can do some LaFemme/L'Homme content creation, and more Dawn/Dusk stuff. I've seen the 8.1 releases for Mike and Vicky, but I wasn't sure if they were worth it - especially as they've come out at the standard gouging costs associated with new figures and/or "branded" character packs. Is he worth using? I'm really stingy with my 3D cash these days. I don't just willy-nilly buy stuff. A lot of the time I can just make it myself anyway. LOL

I was just beginning to get the hang of Studio when I had to take a break last year....

LOL! That's kind of how I feel with Poser right now. It's been a trip trying to get this back up and running, especially with the change in ownership between SM and Rendo now.

I'm enjoying using Studio, and am at least past the "jaw-dropping" stage when opening the program. I can remember doing the same thing the first time I used Poser, just totally overwhelmed...haha. Seliah, I remember your being somewhat of a Studio guru around here, so feel free to advise, instruct, help, whatever....I'm sure by now you know where ALL the bells and whistles are

It's nice when it all starts to come together finally, isn't it? When things start making sense, it's a bit of a relief. LOL I'm no guru, there's a lot that I *don't* know about DS. Especially now with the Filament and Iray and dForce stuff, none of which I understand yet. ;) I'll help where I'm able, though. You know that. It's not in my nature to do anything else if I know I can help someone.

I'm glad you're starting to enjoy it, now. Hopefully I'll reach that point again with Poser, but we'll see. Once I got comfortable in DS, Poser has just felt clunky and awkward and annoyingly, frustratingly inefficient for me ever since. Hopefully that will change once I get going again. :)