• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Are you sure that's for the actual "use" of 2.8, or for the new EEVEE render engine it contains?

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :) When attempting to open Blender 2.80, a box popped up indicating the need for OpenGL 3.33, and then Blender closed itself before even loading the program. So, not having much of a choice, I just gave up on it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
AHA, OK, that answers that question.

Have you investigated to see if your CPU can upgrade it's OpenGL to 3.33?

skylab

Esteemed
No, I've decided to just let it alone. I made the mistake of trying to upgrade a graphics driver one time, and when I rebooted the computer, my monitor was stuck just showing "blinds" and twisted patterns...I had to reboot to safe mode and undo the mess I had made, and I vowed never to mess with the a video driver again. What I have works fine with everything I normally use, so it's not worth it to mess everything up pursuing compatibility with one program. It's something I'll face again as 3D programs reach for new capabilities. Reallusion stuff won't work on my system either. I'll just happily work with what I have, and I'm sure there will be other hobbyists who will be in the same boat, so I won't be alone. I've also basically lost Vue, as it is totally subscription based now, and the older versions that I had purchased will never be able to be installed again even if I did get a new system, since the serial validation process is now obsolete. So, I've had a gut feeling lately that I'd be using Carrara, Hexagon, Silo (up to version 2.3.1, newer versions don't work on my system either), and Anim8or, along with Blender 2.79, for modeling needs. Even if video issues were solved, I just don't have the system speed or RAM to even render superfly animations in Poser 11. Once I realized that (while working on the superfly flame render attempts), I pretty well knew that I had reached the top of what I could do. But, knowing that, I can settle down to working with what I have. I can turn most anything into an art project...even Play-Doh...haha.

:bee:

Miss B

CV-BEE
So, I've had a gut feeling lately that I'd be using Carrara, Hexagon, Silo (up to version 2.3.1, newer versions don't work on my system either), and Anim8or, along with Blender 2.79, for modeling needs.
Hmmmm, I don't have a GPU either, and yet I have Silo 2.5.3, along with my 2.3.1, working on my computer, and no it's almost 6 years old, so definitely not extremely powerful either. Then again, I don't do animations, so that's where I might have issues.

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, it takes a lot of juice to do animations, especially animation renders of Poser superfly. I can manage simple looping animations...repetitive motions, and limited movements, easily in firefly.

For some reason, none of the attempts at Silo 2.5+ being workable on my system have failed...and I've tried them all. That was my first disappointment, as I had counted on Silo being my most capable modeling program. Then I got excited when they finally updated Hexagon, but then their bridge version wouldn't work on my system. Carrara has pretty much camped out at the last version, and I'll have to stay with Blender 2.79. Every upgrade path is becoming a dead end now, with the exception of anim8or. I've explored every possibility, and often posted discussions about it here in this thread...to benefit anyone else who might find their 3D options, or opportunities, shrinking.

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Watching a Star Trek marathon today on satellite, and created another Spock while I had a little inspiration. This was modeled after a Spock puppet that I saw online.

spock-trek-02.jpg

spock-trek-04.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks Terre :) If only I could learn to do the same thing with a modeling program...I enjoy creating the characters.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
some Candy Cane and baubles for your Carrara Christmas Trees ... :flower02:

over in my Wacky Modeling thread if you think they may be of use to you :)

skylab

Esteemed
Thank you Stezza :) I wondered if you saw the Carrara Christmas tree that was added on ShareCG....and now we have your ornaments to add to it :) You've been busy....I saw a couple of planes that you've added, and a keyboard....and even a rubber chicken...haha.

I saw where someone was attempting to rig the keys on your keyboard. That would be neat. Below is the beginning of an animation using Nursoda's Zlata, jumping on the piano keys, beginning to play chopsticks....I thought of doing it like a musical game of hopscotch. I never finished that project...it is tricky getting the timing right with the pressure being applied to the keys, and for the right interval. The timing of the keys was harder to control than Zlata.

ZLATA-CHOPSTICKS-ani.gif

The only time I ever completed a project like this was using Slon on a double stack keyboard. The song was just a simple rehearsal jam back in my much younger days...I used it so as not to get into copyright issues...I just needed something with a simple, well-defined rhythm to see if I could get Slon to keep up with the pace with his hands...haha. I'm putting the YouTube version here in order for there to be sound included.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Yep, the christmas tree was modeled by a fellow Carrara buddy... he has his own thread showing the process..

Lot's of Wacky fun stuff happening.... enjoy :flower02::shineon: