• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Gorilla Renders!

Me195

Extraordinary
Also make sure you have the latest update Kage, that was happening early on and I thought the settings were updated

Yes they were Rae. I'm pretty sure Laurie (CWRW) redid the textures, as I was seeing the wrong skin color when I rendered him as well.

Thank you both. I never knew they updated the gorilla. I just made my own shaders. I guess it pays to go back and read the old forum posts.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Poor SuperMonkey has been left out of the spotlight recently, so I thought I would go ahead and double-post this one. Started out as a hair preset for the HiveWire Kitten, and now there's a monkey to match...
g007.jpg

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah, this is spectacular work. Great fur on both and a gorgeous image too.

IMPRESSIVE!!

Two products then?

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
TWO products!? Chris is getting greedy... ;) I'll worry on getting just one out for now, thanks. Fuzzy Monkey was just a quickie I slapped together in about half an hour. Not nearly enough grooming, shaping, and tweaking to make it a "real" product yet. Besides, I have this itch to make a furry centaur, where the extra hair would help me not having to do any postwork...

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Thanks. Couldn't do much at all without all these awesome critters. While it is true that the LAMH fur hides a lot of defects (just look at my tuxedo cat if you don't believe me...), the better the texture map, the more realistic the fur looks. The same is true for the base model. You can breathe new life into a lot of old models by adding fur to them, but if they look "alive" before you add the fur, well, you have to keep telling them to sit still so you can take the picture... ;)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
So if the specs all over are from DS, they might not show like that in a poser render, using the export-import idea I have? Still have not even installed DS, just waiting to see if/when you offer these... I'd ONLY use DS to render Howies' DS nature environments and LAMH animals... IF my brain can wrap around it enough to do those two things... :)

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
The Iray specs are different than the Firefly specs, but everything is re-producable if you know what slot to fill in. Translucency in Iray is SubSurfaceScattering in Firefly, Opacity translates to Transparency. The numbers will probably be different, but they should be workable. I will definitely try the export at some point and include a Poser render.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
A long while back scripters from both side of the fence made scripts that MOSTLY brought settings over from Poser Firefly to 3Delight and vice versa. Still hoping that someone on both sides will write one for doing this for all four rendering engines. Superfly to iRay and an updated one for Firefly to 3Delight and vice versa. So far no one has thought it important enough but for those of us that work primarily in one of the main platforms it would be a boon to our work flow and give our potential sales market a nice boost, not to mention all the happy end users out there. Shame really. I'd pay good money for a script like that. Oh well!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
The Iray specs are different than the Firefly specs, but everything is re-producable if you know what slot to fill in. Translucency in Iray is SubSurfaceScattering in Firefly, Opacity translates to Transparency. The numbers will probably be different, but they should be workable. I will definitely try the export at some point and include a Poser render.

hmmm well I have a bit of a 'pet peeve' about spec... I nearly always turn it BLACK on all animals as I just don't like SHINE that makes the coats look like plastic... but the white specs in DS I'm talking about are all over some of your renders?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think VB, that Lyne means those "speckles/glitter" the coat seams to have? (please correct me if I'm wrong Lyne)
g007.jpg

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
If the "speckles" are all over the render, it is a result of the render not finishing all the way, which is very often my computer's fault; it just takes too long. If it is the "speckles" along the edges of the fur, that is probably from the backlighting. In the image with the closeup posted, there are two spotlights "off camera" which are causing the shine on the fur.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@VortigensBane - ah! THANKS! That answers both my questions (the main one being about the ALL OVER specs) I get the idea that I will like poser's final renders better because they are pretty fast. and I can control the spec that is on a coat/texture. :)

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
The all over specs come from the "progressive" rendering that Iray works in. The image starts out REALLY grainy, and then little by little becomes clear(er). I think it's the same with the new Superfly render engine in Poser 11, but I never upgraded past 2014.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
In Poser, f you are seeing speckles after a Firefly/Superfly render is complete, the usual culprit is displacement or bump settings that are set too high. Halving those settings usually solves the speckling issue.