• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dusk Renders, And Now The New Dusk SE!!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Thought I would dust off my Dusk character Rodrigo and mess with him in iray some for fun- actually this is a total simple Sun/Sky render. Poor guy was feeling abandoned by me:) I DID give him a cuddly kitty to keep him company:)

All HW products!:
Dusk SE
Dusk MidLength Hair
Rodrigo for Dusk
HW House Cat
Savannah Cat from my Exotics 1

View attachment 66911

So good! More of this please. Beautifully done.

Carey

Extraordinary
Thought I would dust off my Dusk character Rodrigo and mess with him in iray some for fun- actually this is a total simple Sun/Sky render. Poor guy was feeling abandoned by me:) I DID give him a cuddly kitty to keep him company:)

All HW products!:
Dusk SE
Dusk MidLength Hair
Rodrigo for Dusk
HW House Cat
Savannah Cat from my Exotics 1

View attachment 66911
haaaa, now that is going to be hard to match...Great render

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've been going through my zbrush files and trying to organise them and came across these two for dusk. Just wanted to share them so I hope it's okay to post them here. They are very large fibremesh files unfortunately and I never worked out how to successfully make them smaller so I could share. I wanted to have a beard for Dusk's dwarf character.
dusk beard copy.jpg
dusk beard 2 copy.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I would love to see that Laurie...the hair above was done in Zbrush. I'm planning on looking at their newer systems for hair as I think those may be more viable than fibremesh due to size of files but strand hair in DS could work also. I find LAMH to be unreliable as it often doesn't work on my system.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yeah I need to take another whack at learning the DS SBH system.. Which is a drag- wish it was as easy to style as LAMH... ditto Poser hair room. LAMH's styling tools are just really intuitive to me, where I found the SBH ones totally not so. But I will try again on it sometime this summer:) I thnk human facial hair will be a lot easier than fur.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes possibly it will be easier. I don't like either interface. I really like the Zbrush hair tools but I need to find a method to get the size of the mesh it creates to a smaller amount.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Yes possibly it will be easier. I don't like either interface. I really like the Zbrush hair tools but I need to find a method to get the size of the mesh it creates to a smaller amount.
Pen I am doing Unshaven for Dusk2 as well as it works across all platform and my male characters can't go without it, it also can use the DS SBH shaders , there is also way to convert the zbrush hair curves to DS SBH, but you need to have the exclusive PA's tools to do that.

Small tip, when creating the fiber modification , you need to be sure the hair have always 3 sides , and as less a possible segments , how more segments how bigger the files but less curved take the advantage of subdivision in DS. Also the proper diameter of the hair as facial hair are much thicker than scalp hair , you can adjust under "coverage dial" . The best way to use the hair stubs on Dusk textures to match the diameter.
The whole rigging process was my own little trade secret invention I did for DAZ for commission work so not going to talk about that in details.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Yeah I need to take another whack at learning the DS SBH system.. Which is a drag- wish it was as easy to style as LAMH... ditto Poser hair room. LAMH's styling tools are just really intuitive to me, where I found the SBH ones totally not so. But I will try again on it sometime this summer:) I thnk human facial hair will be a lot easier than fur.
DS SBH are actually based on the Garibaldi hair plugin for DS that was designed for 3DL engine as it used the Pixar's amazing hair shader that I was part of beta testing in the production . But it is not more the same thing , most important make sure you get the proper hair diameter as all the facial hair I see in the store for SBH looks like a fur , too much hair and too thin ,also best way to work is on a rigged scalp cap , the parts of the figure like eyes and inner mouth and material zones just messing up with the working process too much and often the reason for crash. Definitely not great tool for making facial hair but I like what some do with the scalp hair, in most cases converted from other programs they modeled it in.
If you like you can make some fur for my upcoming chimp using LAMH or Poser hair room once the final rigging is done. Chimps have so many fur variations you can go wild with it. I will use just simple cards for the release so my other customers that don't use DS or Poser for rendering can still enjoy it like game engines or Carrara among others.

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Pen I am doing Unshaven for Dusk2 as well as it works across all platform and my male characters can't go without it, it also can use the DS SBH shaders , there is also way to convert the zbrush hair curves to DS SBH, but you need to have the exclusive PA's tools to do that.

Small tip, when creating the fiber modification , you need to be sure the hair have always 3 sides , and as less a possible segments , how more segments how bigger the files but less curved take the advantage of subdivision in DS. Also the proper diameter of the hair as facial hair are much thicker than scalp hair , you can adjust under "coverage dial" . The best way to use the hair stubs on Dusk textures to match the diameter.
The whole rigging process was my own little trade secret invention I did for DAZ for commission work so not going to talk about that in details.
I will look forward to seeing your unshaven Cath! I didn't know you could convert to SBH in DS but as I'm not a Daz vendor that's not surprising.

Thanks for the tips. Totally understand about trade secrets.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Pen, you gave me the incentive I needed to finish an image I'd started months ago. I'd originally intended the beard for my Eirc character. This character isn't Eirc (obviously), but he does use a bit of both Dwarf 1 and Giant 1 head. Both beard and hair are Poser Hair. I still can't use the Poser hair styling tool to save my life, but I am generally able to get the results I want without the styling tool.

Bearded Dusk.jpg

Render / No Postwork

Dusk in a Beard_Untouched Render.jpg

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Nice job Satira!! Way better than anything I've done in the Poser Hair Room for sure!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very nice Satira! I've haven't played with the Poser Hair Room since about Poser 7. It eluded me then like much about Poser.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I really don't understand why Daz made a separate tool that only PA s can use. It is so limiting.
Now that I don't have to work full time, 'm going to look for a render engine that is affordable but not restricted the way Daz studio is. I've seen some decent looking Blender hair, does anyone have opinions on a good way to render without Daz ? ( and don't know Poser )

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B, Laurie, and Pendraia.

I spent far more time with the beard than I did with the head hair. The beard was done months and months ago, long before Eirc was released. I just did the hair this week. But, for the last several months, Poser has been sluggish, and I have to wait longer than usual for it to respond to changing selections or values. I'm just not THAT patient. While some beard groups grow hair to the edge of the beard, other beard groups do not. With the hair, all but one hair group grow hair to the edge of the hairline, which is why the hairline is not as wispy as the edges of the beard.

I found increasing the Kink Scale (percent) to 500% gave me the tight curl I wanted. Increasing Kink Strength results in messier curls that stick out further from the head, even with increasing Verts Per Hair.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I really don't understand why Daz made a separate tool that only PA s can use. It is so limiting.
Now that I don't have to work full time, 'm going to look for a render engine that is affordable but not restricted the way Daz studio is. I've seen some decent looking Blender hair, does anyone have opinions on a good way to render without Daz ? ( and don't know Poser )
It is a marketing strategy that why everyone make simple products just to become a PA to get hands on the tools , Free DS is intended to make Art and not to create assets. If you want to render DS assets use the bridge to blender and you good at no cost. It depends what you want to do, just render or create and render, there is a lot of good engines but not all offers both render and creation. Call me old fashioned but I like actually Carrara, I don't know why got abandoned, it was so good and still is to some level .

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Totally agree Cath that they do it deliberately it's the same with the HD from Zbrush. It's to ensure that this type of product is sold exclusively at their store.
It's such a shame that programs like Bryce and Carrara weren't updated. I have never really used them despite owning them both and also a low level edition of Vue.
They all had many dedicated users who feel that they have been left behind. That said I can also understand why they have focused their development on DS as that is what brings in the cash by selling products whereas the other programs have systems in place where you can create your own items.
@Desertsilver there are many programs around that people use for rendering. The majority are ones you would need to pay for though. Blender as Cath suggested is a good free program...I've never quite got a handle on using it but many people have and do great stuff with it.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
You know @Pendraia , the other programs was an idea by the original owners of DAZ before , not the new now, that why it was never done .
I was talking to the development team, they could not do much , if they merged Carrara with DS before it would be another Blender , but they could not do that because it would mess up the codes and the software would lost on value . I used Carrara for long time , it is better than DS with 3DL engine.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's such a shame that programs like Bryce and Carrara weren't updated.
Bryce is how I got started in 3D, and I was using it for 4 or 5 years before a friend, who was using an early version of Poser, sent me to DAZ 3D, a site I had never heard of before then. I was a member at Renderosity, because back then it was the only forum that had a forum for Bryce.

Unfortunately now, however, the Bryce forum at Renderosity is pretty quiet. Still some folks who use it, but not that many.