• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

unreal

Noteworthy
A new feature in the Add-on (a few lines added) is the ability to write the imported morphed welded OBJ as a Blender Shape Key inside an imported source OBJ. Shape Keys are pretty much just like morphs. One fun thing you can do is paint a vertex weight map for the diff between two shape keys. In effect, you can paint-blend morphs. In this case, I did something easily done in Poser anyway. But blender, by painting vertex weights, can be more subtle.

I weighted the head to transition fully to willow, smoothed the connection, and left the rest of dawn at weight zero. Now I have a morph that is just Willow head, smoothly on dawn's body. I could actually blend one characters eyes with another's mouth and jaw and use that as a starting point for yet a 3rd character. All are their own shape keys inside the one object which can export a source ordered OBJ.

Oh, and a Dawn render. To keep on thread :p

Yes, this does give the possibility of scripting a mass dump of Poser morphs from figure as OBJs and the import of the same OBJs into Blender as Shape Keys, and a script that goes the other way. That is, making a heap of morphs as Blender shape keys, then dumping them and mass-importing them into a Poser figure as morphs. Closer to a bridge :)

unreal

Noteworthy
It's either play with this or finish watching "Prisoner of Azkaban". Soooo.... playing with the new "write Poser morphs into Blender Object Keys, I took an old Blender file where I had developed various morphs on Dawn. Here are two.

(Note: this is only the mesh morph. The finished characters in Poser also use joint scales. When I make the morphs, I find keeping things Dawn sized makes fitting clothing much easier. The 2 morphs are Dawn mesh as a kid. And Dawn as young. These are just shape keys.)

The underlying Blender object is Dawn.obj, imported directly. The shapes were developed in a back and forth with Poser morphing and Blender sculpting a while ago. I used the add-on to create shape keys on the source object. Result: an animation that would be trivial in poser :D BUT the mesh (and morphs) are in Blender, where I have Blender's sculpting. And I can take these back and forth. Baby steps.

An interesting thing. I accidentally exported one morph from poser un-welded. So long as I have the zero form (also unwelded), I can still map to the source. The process dose not care how many verts the zero and morph mesh has. Only that the zero and morph verts are the same number in the same order (needed to calculate the zero to morph map). And that the src and zero meshes have all verts in overlapping positions (needed to calculate the zero to source map). The target will have the same number and order as the source, with positions from the morph mesh (morph to zero & zero to source = morph to source! :)

And now, popcorn and Harry Potter :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
"Artificial Life", composed in Stable Diffusion and Paintshop.

ArtificialLife.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ken! Between you and parkdalegardener I may actually get this morph injection done.

I also have had lots help from Miss B and Ram.

Just to keep it on track an image of Alexis wearing the camisole with one of my textures and Dawn's skinny jeans.

Quick question, what's the preferred way for an image to be inserted as a thumbnail or a full image? I'm never sure which I should do.

Camiwithjeans.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh that looks good with the jeans. :)

I always insert full size renders, unless, of course, the image is too large for the forum. The one you just uploaded is good, so no issues loading it full size.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B, it does look good as a top. I've found they don't upload at all if the images are too large. From now on I'll insert the large image unless it's over in my thread and they're just pose test images which I'll continue to load as thumbnails.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The image I have posted above is quite large, but I keep the file sizes small. Maybe that's what matters when you upload images here?

Miss B

CV-BEE
There's a pixel size limit as well, and IIRC, it's 1600 x 1600, and yours is only 1600 in the length, so that's why yours loaded without issue.

unreal

Noteworthy
An example of how back and forth between Blender and Poser (morphing and sculpting). This is the base mesh of something I made for La Femme, *ages* ago. It's very low polygon count (4.2k). The sculpt tools do a better job of quickly stretching a fit without messing up the edges. I find messed up edge flow in low res meshes really shows up with subd.

But for skintight clothes, Poser's Tighten fit morph brush works really well. Very easy to use, no? Can do the same in Blender but it's not obvious or nearly as easy to do. But, in this case, a final "smooth" in Blender is better as I can make the smooth not distort the open edges.

Then rigged with a single click of Dawn's dev rig. No poke, no extra fit morphs needed. Dawn is a nice Mesh :)

Originally making this fit La Femme took forever and a day due to the heaps of JCMs. Of course, it was my first rigged tight clothing. And I learned a lot about meshing. Especially flow.

Maybe I should finish the edge's and post it as a freebie.
Untitled.jpg

Also some Blender sculpting on Dawn. Ghostship's eye and hair shaders.

I also was denied uploading this 1600 high image. On file size, though. But it didn't tell me the problem. Just error. Luckily, the previous discussion :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Isn't 1600 large enough for displaying on a monitor?
I suppose it depends on your monitor. I'm on a laptop, and my monitor size is 1920x1080, so at full size I had to scroll your image down to see the bottom.

For those working with a desktop, the separate monitor will very likely be larger. I believe the 1600x1600 limit was because of the way the forum is set up, so not a matter of what size monitor you have.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am on a desktop here, and my monitor is 2K, so I have scroll to see the whole image as well.

Then rigged with a single click of Dawn's dev rig. No poke, no extra fit morphs needed. Dawn is a nice Mesh :)
Originally making this fit La Femme took forever and a day due to the heaps of JCMs. Of course, it was my first rigged tight clothing. And I learned a lot about meshing. Especially flow.

I have always found creating contents for Dawn much easier than for other figures. ^^

unreal

Noteworthy
I am on a desktop here, and my monitor is 2K, so I have scroll to see the whole image as well.

I have always found creating contents for Dawn much easier than for other figures. ^^
I seem to recall you saying this more than once, pretty much since Dawn first came out. :)

Back then (I call it the late "Poser Middle Age") I didn't understand any of the technical reasons that you would put forth to support that. That is, until I starting making rigged clothing for figures (when La Femme was released... let's say early "Poser Enlightened Age"). She's meshed with a different strategy. I now get what you were talking about :)

Dawn 2 brings us firmly into "Poser Enlightened Age"!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I seem to recall you saying this more than once, pretty much since Dawn first came out. :)

Back then (I call it the late "Poser Middle Age") I didn't understand any of the technical reasons that you would put forth to support that. That is, until I starting making rigged clothing for figures (when La Femme was released... let's say early "Poser Enlightened Age"). She's meshed with a different strategy. I now get what you were talking about :)

Dawn 2 brings us firmly into "Poser Enlightened Age"!

Nothing like trying for yourself and see it. ^____^

unreal

Noteworthy
Oh, those gym shoes remind me of ballet slippers. Very cute. :)
They're actually very similar, except that ballet shoes are stiffer and have the toe box. Gym slippers are almost sock-like, with a patch or 2 of flexible sole. Maybe I should morph them to make them more fitted (gym slippers) or more ballet slipper (pointe shoe / toe box)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Actually, practice shoes don't. Toe shoes are indeed quite different. Littlefox did a lovely series of ballet gear for V4, both practice and performance-wear, back on RDNA. Didn't include toe shoes though. But very nice shoes like the ones that kids who take ballet, or dancers who are not going on point use.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Exactly @JOdel as I wasn't referring to "Toe Shoes" but the soft "Ballet Shoes". I remember them from when I was a kid. I took ballet and tap dancing first, and then tried toe dancing the following year, though didn't like it as much.