• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Okay, as a non poser user I'm confused. I know when I was setting up Diva I could set it to unimesh. What does Unimesh Poser actually change?

I know these things can be confusing. When PSS (Pixar Subdivision Surface) was first introduced (in Poser 10?), it couldn't be applied to split figures in Poser because it required unimesh geometry. The Morph Tool was the same thing - it was incompatible with split figures, and required unimesh geometry. For that purpose, SMS had introduced a way to convert split figures into unimesh geometry, and that's the command we find in the main menu to convert to "Unimesh Skinning".

This creates a version of the geometry that is unimesh, and it's only used for PSS. In some cases, you might also want to use Unimesh Skinning when using the Morph Tool, because it can spike out verts between split groups.

However, Poser is still internally using the split version for general operations, because it doesn't know how to handle single piece geometries. The new Unimesh Skinning is only used in PSS, optionally (but recommended) when using morph brushes, and when rendering. You can say this is a kind of chimera creature, which explains why PSS has such an impact on Poser performance.

With unimesh Poser, the figures will ALWAYS be a single piece geometry, so we no longer need to convert to "Unimesh Skinning". In other words, Poser would no longer split the figure groups into separate geometries when loaded. This has deep repercussions in how it works inside. As it is now:

* Groups can only exist as split geometries,
* Morphs are applied per specific groups, not the entire figure,
* Viewport selections only work if the groups are split,
* Skeleton binding can only be done per split geometry group.
etc....

All this will be gone in unimesh Poser. A lot will have to change on how it works internally. All the other Rooms will have to adapted to how the new core operates. One could say they will basically have to rewrite Poser. The deepest change ever done to it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Wow! So if I understand what you are saying correctly. Up until now it creates an overlay on a split figure to allow you use a figure as unimesh. The new versions of Poser they are talking about rewriting to allow a full version of unimesh to be used.
Am I correct in thinking that this will bring in closer to DS and how it operates? So when loading a morph for example you can load it to the whole figure?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I agree it will need to be a new version, I'm just not sure if it will be the "next" version. Rewriting the code from top to bottom isn't going to be quick, so we'll have to see what progress they make when they get started with it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Wow! So if I understand what you are saying correctly. Up until now it creates an overlay on a split figure to allow you use a figure as unimesh. The new versions of Poser they are talking about rewriting to allow a full version of unimesh to be used.
Am I correct in thinking that this will bring in closer to DS and how it operates? So when loading a morph for example you can load it to the whole figure?

YES! :D Poser will be working [internally] just like DAZ Studio. It will no longer split the figures when loaded. It will always use "unimesh skinning". ^^

Oh I agree it will need to be a new version, I'm just not sure if it will be the "next" version. Rewriting the code from top to bottom isn't going to be quick, so we'll have to see what progress they make when they get started with it.

They have already started. ^____^

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thought that might be the case...I have a number of poser morphs for dawn to redo for ds. Looks like I'll be using the old method...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
What a pity, Pen. The script was created exactly to automate things like that. I also create morphs for DS, and I wanted to make it easier and quicker. It was meant for this task.

unreal

Noteworthy
One thing I always wished was that Poser be modified to at least store the maps when it splits. This would have helped a lot. 2 maps: original (source OBJ) to split (what poser uses). 2nd map: split to welded (what poser exports on weld). They're easy enough to generate (most times.) But Poser knows absolutely what they are.

unreal

Noteworthy
Yeah it is a pity. But now I'm retired I can't afford to just buy whenever I want. That's life and I just can't justify buying the later version.
I made a Blender add-on that creates a unimesh (in original SRC OBJ order) from a Poser split mesh. I made it for sculpting morphs in Blender. If I'm just sculpting the original mesh, then I don't need this; I can just morph a copy of the original (source) mesh.

It's only if you manipulate the mesh in Poser (in any way) and you want that manipulated mesh as a unimesh for some other reason (for me: further morphing in Blender to be used as a FBM in poser). Sometimes I combine morphs, scales, etc. in Poser. Then I use Blender's sculpt tools to manipulate the mesh even more (great for head morphs).

You can use it to create a Poser morphed unimesh of the original OBJ.

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 11.13.20 am.jpg

Let me know if it would be useful to you. So far I've used it in Blender 2.8 though 3.2.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the offer! I don't use blender because it tends to make my brain melt but I will need to look at it further as I want to do some modding for elder scrolls at some point.

unreal

Noteworthy
Thanks for the offer! I don't use blender because it tends to make my brain melt but I will need to look at it further as I want to do some modding for elder scrolls at some point.
It did mine as well. Luckily, years of therapy helped that :D

The GUI starting at 2.8 got a *lot* better. And each release since has improved on that. So much better having waited :)

And while Blender has become easier, there are still very obtuse ways to do some things that you'd think would be more obvious. But that's any software, I suppose. Insanity is not a requirement but it helps :p

Poser seems to me to do a pretty good job at letting even the *marginally* sane people do cool CGI :)

I use Blender for mesh manipulation and UV. But I use Poser for... well, posing (and rigging). So much easier.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...one day I'll give it a try.

Personally I'm a DS girl as Poser has a similar effect to Blender but I'm going to need to delve into it and see if I can create a dynamic outfit for Dawn so I can release for both programs. Wish me luck!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I would love your script. One of the things that keeps me from investigating Blender more is there is no bridge between Poser and Blender.