• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I never saw it myself, it was not available where I grew up. Though I am a fan of classic 70s and 80's Anime, so maybe I will check it out.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I never saw it myself, it was not available where I grew up. Though I am a fan of classic 70s and 80's Anime, so maybe I will check it out.

Some claim the best of Anime was created in that period, just before the 30 years recession that keeps closing animation studios in Japan to this date. Comes down the 80's is still called the Anime "Golden Years". It coincides with the apex of the Japanese economy bubble, which would, unfortunately, burst in the 90s.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Some claim the best of Anime was created in that period, just before the 30 years recession that keeps closing animation studios in Japan to this date. Comes down the 80's is still called the Anime "Golden Years". It coincides with the apex of the Japanese economy bubble, which would, unfortunately, burst in the 90s.
There's a fair bit of anime out of the 90's I like too (Vision of Escaflowne, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Martion Successor Nadesico, Irrisponsible Captain Tyler) - but it feels to me that as anime has increased in popularity in the U.S. it has become increasingly watered down, kidified, and less edgy and groundbreaking. For example, too many of what passes for anime that got brought to the U.S. in the 90's and millenium were glorified commercials for collectible card games - this was what I was never fond of about mainstream U.S. cartoons. I am a long fan of Mecha and Space Battleships...but even what has been offered in those of late I have found disappointing. Maybe I'm just getting old...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
it feels to me that as anime has increased in popularity in the U.S. it has become increasingly watered down, kidified, and less edgy and groundbreaking.

One of the very first guys to bring Anime to America was Peter Payne, the founder of JastUSA, and I have worked with him for a while and witnessed a few things about the history of Anime in the US. One of the biggest barriers during the 90s and early 2000s was the US censorship that started to butcher the videos, up to the point where Sailor Moon was forbidden from playing in several states because of her transformation sequence. I remember seeing a LOT of videos being butchered to even 15 minutes shorter than the original. Censorship was not only cutting footage, but also butchering translations in the English versions. So much that Mayao Miyasaki didn't allow Disney to translate his movies without Studio Ghibli's presence and participation. He stated that if Disney cut even a frame from his movies, the deal was off. That's when things started to change.

Eventually, the only thing allowed to play on American TV were children's shows like Pokemon, while adult animation was mostly forbidden and boycotted. This has persisted for about 2 decades before censorship became more like it is today. So if Anime in America became watered down, it's because that was being imposed for decades, and has become a requirement.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 yes, I had worked with and been part of some fansub groups and had seen major differences in the official releases of many anime. I generally prefer Subtitled to dubbed because so many of the dubs are so horribly done - and while not all of the subtitles are always faithful they tend to diverge less than the dubs. As to editing, I saw that first hand when Fox tried to run Vision of Escaflowne... having already seen an imported set of DVDs I quickly noticed there was so much eiditng in just episode one on Fox it was not only cut from the 20+ minute runtime of the actual episode, but contained material from Episodes 1-3 of the orriginal... so basically they took 60 minutes of source material before editing and cut it down to 15 minutes... Being an opponent of censorship this angered me greatly. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I am still trying to pursue my personal animated projects - even if I get them done with some quality they will never make it to broadcast anywhere.

CajunBeauty

Adventurous
Kei wouldn't be called the "Dirty Pair" without her opposite counterpart, Yuri. Now the fanart set is complete. While Kei was the explosive tomboy, Yuri was the girly, smarter one. While Kei preferred the large bazookas, Yuri would pick energy whips, lightsabers, and throwing cards over fire weapons. Kei loved muscle men, while Yuri would only flirt with cultured, educated men. Complete opposites. Not to mention their bear-sized cat-like creature pet, Mughi, who could pilot spaceships.

One of the fun parts of watching this 1980's TV series was the constant bickering between these two, and of course, how they often managed to accidentally cause large scale destruction, and occasionally explode a whole planet.

I really love your work! If you ever need renders of your products let me know.

Hornet3d

Wise
It was late into the night before Caoimhe finally opened the package Turlough had left for her and only because she could not sleep wondering just what the box held. On opening it she felt immediate shock that hit her with such and impact her reaction was almost as if she had been punched on the stomach. The box held a black rose which was clearly hand made and of a rare delicacy, it was not however, it’s physical form that gave such an impact. Black Rose was a name Darragh called her when they were alone and only two people knew that and Darragh was dead. As they were both in the military at the time and it flew in the face of so many rules their relationship had remained a closely guarded secret right up to his death, a death she still felt responsible for even if it was at the hands of the enemy.

She felt her hands shake as did her whole body. How could Turlough know of the significance of the black rose? A man who was from another place, another time and had never met Darragh and, while Caoimhe had discussed him with Turlough, there was no way she would have mentioned the tale of the black rose. It was not the sort of gift one would fall across and she was sure he had commissioned it’s creation expressly for her.

Now as she struggled to control both her emotions and her body, more questions flooded her mind. Was this the reason he had not given her the gift face to face? Was he aware of the questions she would ask, ones he would not, or could not answer. It also sent her mind reeling back to the times with Turlough when he seemed to know her thoughts almost before she did. There was clearly far more to Turlough than she could have imagined and now he was beyond her reach leaving all her questions unanswered. She felt her loss now as deeply as she ever had when Darragh was ripped from her and she knew tonight she was slipping back to her old ways, tonight she would cry herself to sleep.

Parting Gift HW.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
A nurse told me flu-like virus can be transmitted through the mouth, nose, ears and the eyes, so a mask of this kind wouldn't do much to prevent transmission. After all, the eyes are internal organs completely exposed to the environment, so they as much prone to infection as the nose and mouth. In addition, masks like this tend to retain bacteria that can cause other kinds of trouble, so people would have to be constantly replacing them with new ones, which again, will not prevent transmission.

When my wife had a doctor appointment earlier this week, I asked her to confirm this with her, and she said it was correct. The doctor said this kind of mask is meant for when the person wearing it wants to prevent infecting other people when they are sick, and not the other way around, so that complements what the nurse said before. The doctor also mentioned that Japan, Sweden and South Korea have refused to submit to social isolation, and infection rates in these countries remain unchanged. I have lived in Japan, and I know how densely populated it is, and if Corona virus infections have not increased there alone, I guess that means social isolation has no effect whatsoever, as it seems in the real world.