• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
These are just some samples of HDRi's without any other lights used...
DH2 Arab Dawn3.jpg DH2 Arab Dawn2.jpg DH2 Arab Dawn4.jpg
(thumbnails, click to view larger)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Those are nice Rae. I especially like that first one. Where did you get it, and is it only for use with DS? I don't know if HDRis are different between software apps.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's one from Daz "Through the Pines" (actually I think they are all from Daz, they have quite a few :)).

A HDRi is a HDRi, Like a JPG is a JPG, if a program uses them they work, but I don't know if they look the same in each. As Ken said above, he's found Poser's work is too small. I do know that the quality can vary greatly between photographers just like normal images (same are only good for lighting while others can be used as skies/backgrounds).

Hornet3d

Wise
:yeahthat:

Indeed! The real deal with Octane is when we start using its own materials. ^^

The material database on line is quite extensive but I also like the fact that the default material can be modified and copied with relative ease. Maybe it is just me but the materials also make a lot more sense than the nodes in Poser's material room, such as adding and controlling emitters or adding a sheen are all straight forward and logically named. Where there is something I do not understand the explanations given by floating over the parameter is precise. I am only scratching the surface but I do like it a lot so far and you have the added advantages that you can see changes in almost real time and you are not affecting the Poser scene if you wish to revert to Firefly or Superfly. There is so much more to learn but to be able to come up with pleasing results so early in the learning curve is encouraging.

Hornet3d

Wise
For some reason I could not get the orginal HDR of the posted a couple of pages back to work with Octane, not the lighting just getting to line up correctly seemed impossible. So here is a variation on the theme with the HDR in Octane and no lights.

Night Out HW.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For some reason I could not get the orginal HDR of the posted a couple of pages back to work with Octane, not the lighting just getting to line up correctly seemed impossible. So here is a variation on the theme with the HDR in Octane and no lights.

I can tell the HDRI projection is not right here. This is cylindrical or spherical, but was rendered as planar. This will definitely affect the lighting. You can change the projection type in the parameters.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The material database on line is quite extensive but I also like the fact that the default material can be modified and copied with relative ease. Maybe it is just me but the materials also make a lot more sense than the nodes in Poser's material room, such as adding and controlling emitters or adding a sheen are all straight forward and logically named. Where there is something I do not understand the explanations given by floating over the parameter is precise. I am only scratching the surface but I do like it a lot so far and you have the added advantages that you can see changes in almost real time and you are not affecting the Poser scene if you wish to revert to Firefly or Superfly. There is so much more to learn but to be able to come up with pleasing results so early in the learning curve is encouraging.

I keep saying that PBR rendering makes more sense than biased rendering like FF and 3DL. The lighting, materials and cameras use real-world parameters that make sense, especially if you understand photography jargon. There is also the fact that you don't have to fake AO and color bleed with extra lights, extra shaders, and extra rendering parameters - all of these are handled automatically in Octane. The bottom line is that PBR rendering produces predictable results, as opposed to how it is with FF/3DL. Getting instant refresh in Octane is also a breeze to work with, because this tends to be the MOST time-consuming part with other renderers. ^^

Hornet3d

Wise
I can tell the HDRI projection is not right here. This is cylindrical or spherical, but was rendered as planar. This will definitely affect the lighting. You can change the projection type in the parameters.

Thank you, I was trying to prove the concept but I knew it looked wrong which is very different from 'knowing' what is wrong.