• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, Poser can split morphs, this is actually a very old feature. I am happy to hear DS can do it too, for I have needed that in the past.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
In one of threads we were talking about Littlefox's fantastic tutorials and as I had originally made the dress for genesis I thought I'd see if I could convert it. No uv mapping on it yet...
Dawn in LLFDress.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Would any of LLF's tutorials cover a Poser/DS workflow for how to create UV mapping and body groups in Modo?

UV mapping, yes. Body groups, I honestly do not remember since I don't use Modo and just skipped over those parts.

And, while she does cover UV mapping, she's a proponent of UVLayout and urges you to get the best maps you can by using it (I took her advice and do agree with her, BTW).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The Cowl Dress came out good Pen. What app did you model it in? I know you have ZBrush, but don't recall if there's another modeling app you might have used.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
UV mapping, yes. Body groups, I honestly do not remember since I don't use Modo and just skipped over those parts.
And, while she does cover UV mapping, she's a proponent of UVLayout and urges you to get the best maps you can by using it (I took her advice and do agree with her, BTW).

I am quite happy with UV mapping in MAX, but it can't preserve the body groups, so I have to do it somewhere else. After grouping is done, I cannot edit the UVs in MAX anymore because the geometry is split, and so are the UVs. I need to learn this in Modo, and I was hoping LLF would have touched these subjects since she uses that program. If she uses other programs for UV mapping, maybe I could check at least the body grouping part. Which tutorial covers it?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I am quite happy with UV mapping in MAX, but it can't preserve the body groups, so I have to do it somewhere else. After grouping is done, I cannot edit the UVs in MAX anymore because the geometry is split, and so are the UVs. I need to learn this in Modo, and I was hoping LLF would have touched these subjects since she uses that program. If she uses other programs for UV mapping, maybe I could check at least the body grouping part. Which tutorial covers it?

Rigging in Poser (not sure about the DS one).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am a Poser guy, so if the tutorial is for it, even better. But the parts I need are UV mapping and body grouping in Modo. That part doesn't matter if the models are for Poser or DS. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I am a Poser guy, so if the tutorial is for it, even better. But the parts I need are UV mapping and body grouping in Modo. That part doesn't matter if the models are for Poser or DS. :)

I know.........I'm just saying I don't know what is in the DS tutorial! LOL!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Would any of LLF's tutorials cover a Poser/DS workflow for how to create UV mapping and body groups in Modo?

Actually Littlefox uses UV Layout for mapping as Traci mentioned...I bought it also as a result of reading her comments in the tutorials. She does use Modo for her modelling though.

The Cowl Dress came out good Pen. What app did you model it in? I know you have ZBrush, but don't recall if there's another modeling app you might have used.
Thanks, I created it in Hexagon...it was before I learned how to use ZBrush and back then Z didn't have the modeller brush. I really need to work more on creating clothing but I never seem to have enough time.

View attachment 12153

Another outfit made for V4 that I have managed to fit to Dawn. I used Wardrobe Wizard for the for the main part but a lot of the outfit is built up with smart props so there was a fair bit of tweaking to be done particularly because my Dawn figure is scaled to represent a five foot figure.
Lovely work Hornet...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks, I created it in Hexagon...it was before I learned how to use ZBrush and back then Z didn't have the modeller brush. I really need to work more on creating clothing but I never seem to have enough time.
Ahhhh OK. I'm not sure how I would create something like that in ZBrush. My one successful adventure with it was a Katana sword, and I still want to revisit it, because the curve of the blade didn't come out quite right.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Since then they've introduced the modeller and it's quite easy to do things in there. I must admit when I opened up Hex recently I felt quite lost it had been so long since I opened it up.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I feel the same every time I open Silo, as I'm so used to Blender. I'm a huge user of keyboard shortcuts, so going from one set in Blender to another (plus resetting one of the buttons on my Wacom pen) in Silo, often gives me a headache until I get used to using them again. It's a good thing I keep the tips lists I do for every new software I get, and not just 3D software. They really do come in handy. :p

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Actually Littlefox uses UV Layout for mapping as Traci mentioned...I bought it also as a result of reading her comments in the tutorials. She does use Modo for her modelling though.

What about body grouping in Modo? Which LLF covers that? :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure to be honest Ken...you would have to look at the page on RDNA. It would list what's included on that.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
What about body grouping in Modo? Which LLF covers that? :)

From the page on her second tutorial "This installment sees you through UVmapping and setting up the model's grouping and material zones in preparation for the next eBook which will cover rigging for Poser and DS."

So I think that's the one you would want.