• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Welcome to the HiveWire forums Nyx_Nine. I'm liking the render you posted, and look forward to seeing more. :)

unreal

Noteworthy
Hi. I've been on a quest to render using Firefly. I'm trying to match some of the renders I've seen that used Iray and Superfly. So far, this one is Dawn as Asia. Firefly all the way. PS. I'm a newbee to this forum but have used Poser since 6 I recall. I used to use DS but found Poser more to my liking.
cool

I'm curious: why firefly?

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Sneak Peak...

Poser 2014 Pro Firefly render
I probably spent far too much time setting up ray traced spots and point lights to try to capture a more realistic outside, lit building, nightfall effect. Used some Probe Light node tricks on the Cinema letters and the Marquee to amp up their illumination too. Also probably spent too much time on creating a custom marquee and custom posters to replace what came with I13's Theatre set. Might consider releasing some of those customs as a free add on for that old theatre.

@Nyx_Nine there was a great site with information on the various shader nodes in firefly, including some neat trix. Unfortunately it is no more, but you may find some of the information on the Wayback machine. CastlePoser I used to reference it a lot. I tend to use almost exclusively Ray Tracing shadows on my lights, except in rare case. For final renders I always use manual render settings, between 3-5 bounces at least, Irradiance Cahing in the 80-90 range, I turn of gamma correct, minimum shading rate of 0.21 or lower. Just a few of my settings if they help.

unreal

Noteworthy
Sneak Peak...

I probably spent far too much time setting up ray traced spots and point lights to try to capture a more realistic outside, lit building, nightfall effect. Used some Probe Light node tricks on the Cinema letters and the Marquee to amp up their illumination too. Also probably spent too much time on creating a custom marquee and custom posters to replace what came with I13's Theatre set. Might consider releasing some of those customs as a free add on for that old theatre.

@Nyx_Nine there was a great site with information on the various shader nodes in firefly, including some neat trix. Unfortunately it is no more, but you may find some of the information on the Wayback machine. CastlePoser I used to reference it a lot. I tend to use almost exclusively Ray Tracing shadows on my lights, except in rare case. For final renders I always use manual render settings, between 3-5 bounces at least, Irradiance Cahing in the 80-90 range, I turn of gamma correct, minimum shading rate of 0.21 or lower. Just a few of my settings if they help.
Makes perfect sense!

I tend towards a "stylised" look, myself, where very realistic textures are not so important.

Honestly, if it wasn't for things like ghostship's mats, vince's supershaders, and the heaps of bagginsbill threads where he gives tutorials, superfly would be beyond me.

the shoulders of giants :D

PS: I'd pay to see any of the movies on that marquee.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
They didn't strike me as ridiculous. Last time I went to see a movie here (Sydney) was pre-covid. It was $50. :p
Wow... I am feeling truly old now. I think last time I went to a movie was just before Covid and it was a $9 matinee. It Was Solo.

unreal

Noteworthy
As a kid, I remember Saturday "all day matinees" for $2! It was 3 or 4 movies, where it would be things like "the voyages of Sinbad", "Sinbad and the sequel of doom", etc. Sometimes it would be "kung fu movies" all day. All B movies, all the time!

In the winter (long and dark; I lived in Northeast US, then), that was how the neighbourhood moms kept us out of their way on Saturdays. This was before the later "Age of Malls" :D

Your marquee reminded me of those times ^.^

Nyx_Nine

Inspired
Sneak Peak...

Thank you for the info. Here's a Dawn headshot...... Firefly. I can't get a great one with LF. And My Superfly just isn't cutting it. First, it takes all day to render. And then I'm disappointed in the results compared to a 5 minute Firefly render. Same with Iray.

Attachments

• laFemmeJewelryFirefly4.jpg
    laFemmeJewelryFirefly4.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 114

Nyx_Nine

Inspired
Thank you for the info. Here's a Dawn headshot...... Firefly. I can't get a great one with LF. And My Superfly just isn't cutting it. First, it takes all day to render. And then I'm disappointed in the results compared to a 5 minute Firefly render. Same with Iray.
Here's a relatively simple scene using Poser 11, Firefly and VUE and multiple characters....It's from one of my graphic novels....

Attachments

• grassy2blog.jpg
    grassy2blog.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 108

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
And then I'm disappointed in the results compared to a 5 minute Firefly render.

I went through the same thing when I first started rendering with Superfly. The new Cycles engine means new rendering parameters, new materials, and the way one interacts with the other is miles away different from Firefly. But here's the thing - once you understand how PBR works, and get familiarized with the parameters and materials, it becomes much easier and quicker to produce better results. The first thing that attracted me to PBR rendering was exactly how much simpler materials need to be to look good in renders, compared to Firefly. Simple is better.

When it comes to rendering speeds, the same happened to me when I got started. I was trying to use the same parameter values I was used to with Firefly, and that would produce super-long render times - but only because I was not understanding the parameters. We can get very good renders in Superfly using very low Pixel Samples, and it renders many times faster than Firefly (depends on your GPU). Poser 12 introduced "adaptive sampling", which drastically reduces rendering times comparing to Poser 11. Poser 13 introduced the new Cycles X engine, which was a complete redesign of the old Cycles engine to modernize it for better performance in modern GPUs. Benchmarks show it can be as much as 10X faster than the older Cycles engine. In my personal experience, P13 Supefly (Cycles X) is much faster to render than P12 (Adaptive Sampling), which is much faster to render than P11 (vanilla version). assuming you have a decent GPU.

Hope this helps. :)

Nyx_Nine

Inspired
I haven't used the new Superfly in P13 since there was a render bug. Hopefully fixed in 13.1

I know most everybody is all in on Superfly, but I'm not there yet. To my eye, Firefly can still produce a better render. See 3 samples. I did not produce these. The vender did. I just prefer the FF version. Better lighting, better reflections, better fabric detail. I was able to reproduce the FF version just as they did. I will give SF another look when 13.1 is delivered.

Attachments

• LivingRoom6firefly.jpg
    LivingRoom6firefly.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 119
  • LivingRoom6iray.jpg
    LivingRoom6iray.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 115
  • LivingRoom6superfly.jpg
    LivingRoom6superfly.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 126

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Indeed, PBR rendering depends on the settings, and also how the materials are set up. To me, the nicest thing about Superfly is how much simpler it is to set up materials and lighting. Firefly required more complex settings because it needs to emulate everything, while PBR doesn't. However, most materials and light sets people have in their libraries were meant for Firefly, and some won't work well with PBR rendering. I have the impression this may give people the wrong impression about Superfly when using the wrong setup in PBR renders.

unreal

Noteworthy
Indeed, PBR rendering depends on the settings, and also how the materials are set up. To me, the nicest thing about Superfly is how much simpler it is to set up materials and lighting. Firefly required more complex settings because it needs to emulate everything, while PBR doesn't. However, most materials and light sets people have in their libraries were meant for Firefly, and some won't work well with PBR rendering. I have the impression this may give people the wrong impression about Superfly when using the wrong setup in PBR renders.
What Ken Said! ^.^

I find a nice shortcut I to quickly "convert" firefly materials to superfly is to pick up some of the shader sets (supershaders, ghostships and/or ambitiously see what you can put together from threads where bagginsbill schools everyone :)

A lot of times I start with a "cotton" supershader mat, and just plug the firefly imagemap right into it. Done.

Sometimes, (especially for close ups) I combine the supershader bump map with (say) a specific UV mapped thread bump map (math node).

With PBR it's so much easier to just drop something like "brushed stainless steel" on something that should be...er... brushed stainless steel.

Like Ken said, the node setup can be so much simpler with PBR.

superfly is also super sensitive to your settings. A lot of times I use ghostships superfly render settings for one click CPU or GPU, faster or high quality.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Not entirely happy with this render, but ran out of time and needed something finished. May revisit it to tweak and adjust lighting further.

Hornet3d

Wise
A rework on Prae-Xolani Hair for La Femme Poser, with a change of shader and colour. There was nothing wrong with the supplied materials that work great but I needed to convert the hair to keep some consistency with my character Caoimhe. I do this for all the hair products I purchase now, converting them all using Ghostship hair shaders, so that there is not a massive difference between hair content I purchase from different venders.

Xolani Hair GS P13 HW.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
I am not spending too much at Rendo at the moment but I am still picking up some sale items.

Here is Prae Theia and Prae Hair Kori Hair with Asian Dream textures for Cheongsam Dress for Dawn.

Theia Hair GS_HW.jpg

Kori Hair GS HW.jpg