• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Hornet3d

Wise
Here's another comparison, this time I did 3 changes on the right side:

1. Smaller shoulders adjustment (at 70%)
2. Thinner arms adjustment
3. Applied Dawn's existing "Shoulders Narrow" morph, which reshapes the top of the upper arms.

It's a dramatic change in shoulders shape, and it can be applied in different amounts. It becomes more evident with the thinner arms.

View attachment 29265

One of the things I notice from the above is that the size reduction has the effect of changing the slope of the shoulders. When I use V4 I always change this slope as, to me at least, the default is almost a partial shrug. This is something I often do with Dawn, depending on the pose. I know this is not reason for the 'quarterback shoulders' but it does tend to exaggerate the size.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
One of the things I notice from the above is that the size reduction has the effect of changing the slope of the shoulders. When I use V4 I always change this slope as, to me at least, the default is almost a partial shrug.
That's exactly what I hate about V4's shoulders, and the one thing I don't see with Dawn's shoulders even at default size. That's why I use Corvas' fix for V4, because it does lower the shoulders so the slope no longer has that partial shrug look.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
One of the things I notice from the above is that the size reduction has the effect of changing the slope of the shoulders.

Very true. Dawn's default shoulders are too "square" for my taste. Normal shoulders have a natural down slope, while Dawn's are squared out, making a straight horizontal line instead. One has to lift weights for years to get shoulders like that. That's more of a male trait, and a pretty good indication of the so-called quarterback "square" shoulders.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here's an interesting comparison. From left to right: Dawn, Dawn (reduced shoulders), Gen3F and Gen2F.

The default Dawn (left) has the bulkiest shoulders from the bunch, but look how Gen3 also has flat "squared" shoulders. Conversely, Dawn with reduced shoulders and thinner arms gets a shape similar to Gen2F. I would also compare with Gen8F, but she's allergic to Poser.

I think this shoulder reduction morph, combined with arm thinning, can get Dawn to a comparable shape as the other leading brands. However, the adjusted Dawn seems to have the best, most natural shoulder slope from the bunch. Very promising!

Narrow Shoulders4.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
My problem with such renders is not with expressions, but how hard it is to handle realistic eyes in FF and SF when the shaders are compatible but their effect in renders is completely different. For example, cornea shaders that work good in FF look like a chrome mirror in SF. I still haven't found a good way to make this work in SF. I can even do it in Octane, but not in SF. I need to learn native Cycles shaders. That's the only way.

Carey

Extraordinary
My problem with such renders is not with expressions, but how hard it is to handle realistic eyes in FF and SF when the shaders are compatible but their effect in renders is completely different. For example, cornea shaders that work good in FF look like a chrome mirror in SF. I still haven't found a good way to make this work in SF. I can even do it in Octane, but not in SF. I need to learn native Cycles shaders. That's the only way.
My problem is, the eye lids have no depth there for don't throw a shadow, nor do they have a reflective edge

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
My problem is, the eye lids have no depth there for don't throw a shadow, nor do they have a reflective edge

That's probably because real world natural light usually comes from above, while in 3D scenes we tend to avoid that so the shadows look better placed on the face. The shadows on the eyes come mostly from the lashes, and not so much from the eyelids. The problem is that Poser will "filter" the textures and end up blurring them up, to the point where we barely see any lashes in renders, unless in extreme close-ups.

The reflective edge is probably that "tear" geometry V4 has that most later figures lack. I have found myself missing that geometry in portrait renders with Dawn. That small and almost invisible geometry really makes a difference in realism for portrait renders. In V4 they were just an extension of the eyelids. I miss that with Dawn.