• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I already commented and "liked" this in the other thread. This is really good Lyne. I love the lighting. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Continuing work on promo setups... :)

No postwork except for the frame, because, well... promo layout. LOL

The DOF was rendered with a 3Delight camera. The fog is a combination of Jepe's smoke props (with opacity set down to about 20%) and some of the old RDNA fog props.

HorsePose08.jpg

I discovered that this particular pose actually does work pretty well with the saddle from the Western Tack, with only needing just a tiny bit of adjustment on Dusk's part. But since this was a promo render, I didn't want to do that adjustment, nor did I want to have part of Dusk's shirt poking out through the back of the saddle. So I just turned off all the leathery/saddle parts and left the blanket.

Yes, I know a blanket only would never actually work like this, but I wanted just a little splash of color between Dusk and Harry's grey color scheme. Call it artistic license. ;)

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Miss B. I try to mix up the camera angles a bit with promos... there's no reason to bore the viewer just because it's a promo render. ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Absolutely. Often hard to do with "portrait" type renders for characters, but your renders are actually "scenes", so switching them up makes them more interesting. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, sometimes you just can't avoid the "boring face render" type... LOL. But I do try to mix those up with things like these two with Harry. Since Harry's renders here are showcasing the Dusk/Harry interactions, going the full scene route works fine. And so long as I remember to set up my DOF on the render cameras, I can do that without leaving the scene too "busy" for the viewer to see Harry and Dusk. That DOF is the key, though, at least for these setups.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Just wonderful Seliah...I know that if I was seeing that for the first time it would sure make me want to buy it!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Thanks all! and love the promo art! AND hey, never thought about a way to get JUST a blanket via the saddle.... so now the Indian's can ride too! LOL!! I'll have to look up and see how they used a blanket.... hmm has to be some sort of girth so it won't slip off...

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Its called a surcingle (its used to keep tack, rugs etc in place) but from all the old black and white images I can find Native Americans were either bareback or used saddles (mostly bareback tho) no blankets. :)

I used to use a blanket and surcingle all the time as I found it more comfy than a saddle and still kept me from getting too dirty or sweaty like I would completely bareback :D

I am a South Dakota girl and was brought up with horses. From what I know the early Native American's didn't use any kind of standard tack unless they were able to take it from a settler. To control the horse they used a war bridle which was just a rawhide strip that they tied around the horse's mouth bars. If they used a blanket they just had it sitting on the horses back with the rider on top of it. They were one with the horse and they didn't use a saddle or a standard bridle. As time progressed they did of course use the common saddles and bridles if they could get them.

As for me, my mom decided that I needed to learn to ride bareback first. And I did when I was 10. She was so successful that I never learned to use a saddle. So I guess I always rode the Indian way. Really I can't really see how people can stand a saddle between them and the horse. With a saddle you can't easily feel the muscles in the horse's back. So without that you can't feel if is humping up to buck or is tense and is getting ready to shy sideways or other subtle signs as to what it it feels. The only thing about riding bareback I hated was all that sweaty hair that got on your thighs and calves.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
With a saddle you can't easily feel the muscles in the horse's back. So without that you can't feel if is humping up to buck or is tense and is getting ready to shy sideways or other subtle signs as to what it it feels. The only thing about riding bareback I hated was all that sweaty hair that got on your thighs and calves.
Which is why I used the blanket and surcingle, you can still feel the horse but stayed dry (well mostly, depending on the workout :D)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
She was so successful that I never learned to use a saddle. So I guess I always rode the Indian way. Really I can't really see how people can stand a saddle between them and the horse. With a saddle you can't easily feel the muscles in the horse's back. So without that you can't feel if is humping up to buck or is tense and is getting ready to shy sideways or other subtle signs as to what it it feels.

:yeahthat:

Exactly! My elders tried to get me in a saddle until I got thrown, at which point they figured out that the saddle was more dangerous to me than tackless, even at a full gallop! If I can't feel the animal, I get worked up... if the rider is antsy, then the horse gets antsy... :)

I could never tolerate a saddle. I never tried just a blanket... I liked being as close to the horse as I could get... I don't use reigns, either... mane, my legs, and hugging their neck is usually all I need. :D