• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

eclark1894

Visionary
There's actually a number of brokerages - Fantasies Realm, CGBytes, Content Paradise - just to name a few. However, most vendors went to places like RDNA because the reputation for low quality at RO kept them away. It's a shame that many good vendors got buried in low quality stuff at RO.

I like that Hivewire is more particular and we have to go through a very rigorous QA process. It helps a vendor and the brokerage develop a reputation for high quality models.
This isn't the first time DAZ has killed a competitor you know. They bought out one store I just can't remember who. Just like RDNA they just sort withered and died on the vine. Years ago though.

James R.

Busy Bee
This isn't the first time DAZ has killed a competitor you know. They bought out one store I just can't remember who. Just like RDNA they just sort withered and died on the vine. Years ago though.

Was it PoserPros? Something like that?

You are right, that was a long time ago. Almost a decade ago, IIRC.

And it was tied into the whole botched DAZ ArtZone experiment, which failed simultaneously. (I'm sure there is a thread on RDNA detailing all of this history.)

There are different people in charge of DAZ now -- and hopefully, there is a different prevailing attitude. Given that Dreamland just arrived there with Poser-only product, I think there might be.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees

I wasn't around then, but I believe that was not really "killing" a competitor as it was incorporating a dying entity that complimented what DAZ was doing.

eclark1894

Visionary

And it was tied into the whole botched DAZ ArtZone experiment, which failed simultaneously. (I'm sure there is a thread on RDNA detailing all of this history.)

There are different people in charge of DAZ now -- and hopefully, there is a different prevailing attitude. Given that Dreamland just arrived there with Poser-only product, I think there might be.
PoserPros! Yep, that was the one. And even though DAZ didn't kill it, Animotions folded shop a few years ago, as well. Personally, I think DAZ did Hivewire a favor by removing RDNA. With RDNA out of the picture, Hivewire's profile increases.

James R.

Busy Bee
PoserPros! Yep, that was the one. And even though DAZ didn't kill it, Animotions folded shop a few years ago, as well. Personally, I think DAZ did Hivewire a favor by removing RDNA. With RDNA out of the picture, Hivewire's profile increases.

Definitely a valid point, Earl! I'm hoping to see more known artists moving here. There are already some I'm very happy to see arrive (even if current selection is a bit limited).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

And it was tied into the whole botched DAZ ArtZone experiment, which failed simultaneously.
Oh I remember PoserPros. Our Contributing Artist Shellyw got her start, and was very popular, there. I remember when DAZ took over it's management, but it eventually folded in some of the content, and then the site/forums were gone.

As for ArtZone, that was a bad experiment from the get-go. I hated the setup they had for heir "forums", if that's what you want to call them, and their personal galleries were awful as well.

James R.

Busy Bee
Oh I remember PoserPros. Our Contributing Artist Shellyw got her start, and was very popular, there. I remember when DAZ took over it's management, but it eventually folded in some of the content, and then the site/forums were gone.

As for ArtZone, that was a bad experiment from the get-go. I hated the setup they had for heir "forums", if that's what you want to call them, and their personal galleries were awful as well.

Yeah, ArtZone was kind of a gong show, wasn't it? DAZ's attempt at creating their own social network: a swing and a miss!

Hornet3d

Wise
There's actually a number of brokerages - Fantasies Realm, CGBytes, Content Paradise - just to name a few. However, most vendors went to places like RDNA because the reputation for low quality at RO kept them away. It's a shame that many good vendors got buried in low quality stuff at RO.

I like that Hivewire is more particular and we have to go through a very rigorous QA process. It helps a vendor and the brokerage develop a reputation for high quality models.

I see your point. But there are a lot of different places to buy Poser products.

Since RDNA died, instead of "one stop shopping" at a large brokerage it now might be necessary to go to your favourite artist's personal website, or to look for them at one of the new brokerages that have started.

However, I have to say that I find the arrival of Dreamland's Poser items at DAZ to be somewhat encouraging.

Maybe they really are serious about expanding their Poser content. I will need to see this before I fully believe it though!

I accept that there are other brokerages although, despite it's Poser connections Content Paradise does not look much of a paradise and has an air of being severely neglected. There is clearly a lot of good content available and being made for Poser but it can be hard to find. While I am very glad these other brokerages exist I wonder just what proportion of Poser users going looking for content this far afield. It is not an issue for me but I can see why some vendors would come to the conclusion it is Daz first and Poser second, if Poser gets a look in at all.

James R.

Busy Bee
I accept that there are other brokerages although, despite it's Poser connections Content Paradise does not look much of a paradise and has an air of being severely neglected. There is clearly a lot of good content available and being made for Poser but it can be hard to find. While I am very glad these other brokerages exist I wonder just what proportion of Poser users going looking for content this far afield. It is not an issue for me but I can see why some vendors would come to the conclusion it is Daz first and Poser second, if Poser gets a look in at all.

After RDNA blew up, I tried to keep track of where the artists I bought from went. If I can't find what I'm looking for at one of the major brokerages, I'll go "afield". I don't think that I'm in the majority, though.

I agree with your assessment of Content Paradise. It's a neglected mess. In my opinion, as it stands, it's kind of a wasteland of Poser products that time forgot. :-/

Lots of low quality items, lots of items that were made for versions of Poser from a decade ago, tiny little thumbnails, awkward navigation, and a design that has been essentially the same for years. I know they were working on it at one point a number of months ago, but I don't see what changed.

I would love CP to be a decent brokerage, but there is obviously a lot of renovating that needs to be done. I'd start from scratch, if I were them. New design, new products designed to show Poser's modern abilities.

CP really ought to be the flagship online store for Poser products!

I do hope that SM will give it the attention it deserves.

Miss B

CV-BEE
From what I remember in one of the threads at the SM Poser Forum, there are plans to redo the whole CP site. How long it will take? Who knows, but they are aware of how unhappy folks are with the site, and have been talking about making it better.

quietrob

Extraordinary
From what I remember in one of the threads at the SM Poser Forum, there are plans to redo the whole CP site. How long it will take? Who knows, but they are aware of how unhappy folks are with the site, and have been talking about making it better.

I remember commenting about the need for a Site makeover and was shut down by the "powers that be" who said it was the content that mattered. The content DOES matter. Every holiday I head over to Xurge3d as I update my scifi and historical runtimes, but no matter how one feels about DAZ, they are head and shoulders above the rest in making their site exciting. At First. Once you realize that its a DAZ only show, save for the occasional offering and now the great Dreamland, you don't stop in everyday. The things I've complained about in the past like the "buy a model you don't want and you'll get a discount on something you do" or a great model that is DAZ only unless you want to spend the time converting materials and such. I don't want get into the forum discussion. I like Boni and Kristi S. too much.

Leaving money on the table...excellent saying.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I wish they would update the site, because part of making content presentable is, well, presenting it nicely, and I don't think CP comes even close to accomplishing that.

Hornet3d

Wise
I remember commenting about the need for a Site makeover and was shut down by the "powers that be" who said it was the content that mattered. The content DOES matter. Every holiday I head over to Xurge3d as I update my scifi and historical runtimes, but no matter how one feels about DAZ, they are head and shoulders above the rest in making their site exciting. At First. Once you realize that its a DAZ only show, save for the occasional offering and now the great Dreamland, you don't stop in everyday. The things I've complained about in the past like the "buy a model you don't want and you'll get a discount on something you do" or a great model that is DAZ only unless you want to spend the time converting materials and such. I don't want get into the forum discussion. I like Boni and Kristi S. too much.

Leaving money on the table...excellent saying.

I have to agree that the DAZ site is at least fresh and exciting and it does draw you in the only disappointing part is that, having been drawn in, there is very little for Poser users unless you are looking to fill your boots with cheap M4 and V4 stuff. There is little in the market that I have seen that can compete in regards to presentation but I am happy to be proved wrong. Even here at Hivewire it is clear how much can be done with a small team and the site in light years in advance of CP.

Leana

Enthusiast
DAZ buying PoserPros was not about killing a competitor at all, PoserPros had big problems at the time and DAZ bought the store so that it didn't disappear... They kept it running for 3 years before they closed the PP shop to integrate it to their newly created ArtZone shop (which admittedly wasn't exactly their best idea ;))

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
DAZ buying PoserPros was not about killing a competitor at all, PoserPros had big problems at the time and DAZ bought the store so that it didn't disappear... They kept it running for 3 years before they closed the PP shop to integrate it to their newly created ArtZone shop (which admittedly wasn't exactly their best idea ;))

Thanks for that. I thought that's what the story was, but wasn't entirely certain.

eclark1894

Visionary
I bought a potted plant once. Had no intention of killing it, but it died anyway.:sneaky:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That is pretty much the future of all potted plants I buy.

This summer I killed a lavender plant in less than a month, as well as an "Epicurean Herb Garden" with rosemary (which was the first to go), oregano, and thyme)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I wish they would update the site, because part of making content presentable is, well, presenting it nicely, and I don't think CP comes even close to accomplishing that.

Yes, I don't think I've ever bought anything over there. The products aren't presented well, and they don't give that much information on them, so I'm never really sure if it's the thing I want or not. Actually at some point there are some anime cat ears that @Ken1171 made, that I'll pick up some day, but I only know about them because I've seen how he uses them on renders he posted here.

I bought a potted plant once. Had no intention of killing it, but it died anyway.:sneaky:

That's why I prefer Lisa's Botanicals:p. I've yet to kill any of those.