• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
Don't laugh . . . I still have quite a collection of them I never got rid of. Of course, I can't use them anymore.
I did, but my nieces and nephews got rid of them the last time I went to the hospital. I guess they thought I wasn't coming home. :cautious: Didn't really matter. All my computers that could read them were trashed by then anyway.

eclark1894

Visionary
Don't laugh . . . I still have quite a collection of them I never got rid of. Of course, I can't use them anymore.
Miss B, do you remember what I call the "dance of the disks"? When floppy disks couldn't hold all your program info on one disk, so you had to swap out disks to complete an action? I use to do something like that with Poser on my macs.

eclark1894

Visionary
As long as we're remembering computer stuff, remember these??? Probably not unless you've taken a computer programming course back when Microsoft was still using DOS.
1641079941336.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As long as we're remembering computer stuff, remember these??? Probably not unless you've taken a computer programming course back when Microsoft was still using DOS.
I used those decades ago on my first job while in college. There were hundreds of them in a draw with information about different locations which could be used while filling out forms.

However, I don't recall ever using those in any of my programming class years later, and we still had DOS based computers back then.

eclark1894

Visionary
I used those decades ago on my first job while in college. There were hundreds of them in a draw with information about different locations which could be used while filling out forms.

However, I don't recall ever using those in any of my programming class years later, and we still had DOS based computers back then.
I took a course in FORTRAN or COBOL, I honestly don't remember because I quit the course. I discovered the Mac around 1984 and never looked back.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, interesting. Most, but not all, of my programming classes were in COBOL. I've used Mac computers at one place or another years ago, but never owned one.

Terre

Renowned
Miss B, do you remember what I call the "dance of the disks"? When floppy disks couldn't hold all your program info on one disk, so you had to swap out disks to complete an action? I use to do something like that with Poser on my macs.
I had that with a couple of computer games. Ultima III being the one I can think of off hand.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
View attachment 71891

A classmate's mother worked at a company where she got those. She always gave the teacher a box full of them for crafts. They were fascinating.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember this? Punched tape - Wikipedia My grandmother was a programmer at Sandia Labs in the 60s and 70s. She would bring home old green/gold strips to use as Christmas ribbons.
It's funny you should mention punched tape. I just saw a 1950s monster movie yesterday. I think it was The Deadly Mantis. One scene had a character reading off information on a strip of tape that was coming out of a machine. Now, I've seen punched tape before, but it's been a while. And there is another type, teletype, where characters in a scene would read stuff off a strip of tape. The problem is that a lot of time, it's used as an exposition scene, a scene, where a character would explain things to the audience. But I don't know if it's possible to read punched tape like it's a headline.

robert952

Brilliant
It's funny you should mention punched tape. I just saw a 1950s monster movie yesterday. I think it was The Deadly Mantis. One scene had a character reading off information on a strip of tape that was coming out of a machine. Now, I've seen punched tape before, but it's been a while. And there is another type, teletype, where characters in a scene would read stuff off a strip of tape. The problem is that a lot of time, it's used as an exposition scene, a scene, where a character would explain things to the audience. But I don't know if it's possible to read punched tape like it's a headline.
We had a teletype machine (everyone called it a Telex machine. Telex was the service provider). It had two charges: a connect time, and a character count.

To reduce the former, we were to prepare the message by creating a punch tape. The tape was then sent through the machine. One manager listened for the bell used to get an operators attention for a live chat. And then that manager would call the office manager of the sender to find out who was using live chat. (Which then added the more expensive cost of the long distance phone call.) I used to 'ring the bell' on the tape 5-6 times on the tape just because - well, that's the way I rolled.

To reduce the latter when preparing your punched tape, we had a series of codes and formats. (FO# WWYS - Our assigned Factory Order Number (the first part of any message) When Will You Ship; ASRI - Advise Shipping and Routing Information. POD Proof of delivery (implication that factory would email photocopy of signed receipt). Goes to show that 'new ideas' (like LOL, BRB, LMAO) aren't really that new in sonst. This was in the seventies.