• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

unreal

Noteworthy
Remember This??? The original Battlestar Galactica. I had a model of the original ship, but I tore it up and built a cheap knockoff of the ship from StarBlazers, the Battleship Yamato, using the Galatica and the Queen Mary. I had a picture of it, but I can't find my photo album anywhere.
View attachment 71716
Are you me? I did the exact same thing. Almost. It succumbed to ladyfinger firecrackers (legal then). It was all about taking a core model and gluing lots of exciting stuff to it, then spraying the entire thing with a flat off-white paint. Just yesterday, I was trying to explain decals to someone since I was putting names on crew boats and it's similar. My "models" have gotten bigger with time :D

unreal

Noteworthy
we had two channels ....!!

in black and white and one channel was all fuzzy and the signal was lost when the wind got up lol

the antenna cable was this stuff!

View attachment 71722
Black and white and 13" because that was the TV. In the midwest, we only had 1 VFH. There may have been other UHF channels, but the knob had fallen off the TV so the UHF knob couldn't be changed.

The world had long since gone to color TVs but no way my father was going to buy a TV. The 13" was something he and mom got for their wedding. It was right before Battlestar Galactica was on TV it gave up the ghost. I never saw it until the next summer reruns. When our year of whining finally got dad to cave.

We had moved to halfway between NYC and Philly. So from 1 station, we went to "most broadcast stations of any location". There was even a radio station that played the Audio of the TV station. So I heard Battlestar Galactica and had to imagine it. When I saw it the next summer, it was not at all like my imagination.

However, between radio and books being passive entertainment, I consider myself super lucky. I'm pretty sure that year without TV contributed to later success in life :)

Remember UHF and VHF? :D

unreal

Noteworthy
Similar with my sister. The training wheels had twisted back so that as soon as she started peddling physics took over. The training wheels did nothing. But, she was convinced she needed them. I rode her bike to show the wheels weren't doing anything so she let me take them off.
ikr?! They caused more harm than good. Kids toys were like death traps. Remember the old high chairs and bouncy chairs? The high chair was like a french guillotine and the bouncy chair had exposed springs and pointy bits. (I had heaps of little brothers). I must have pinch my fingers and scxraped my arm a million times on those torture devices.

I tried to ride once with training wheels and one and the other stayed on preventing me from leaning into a turn which dropped my right over on someone. I was 4. Had dad take them both off, never looked back. Not too many years later, I was BMXing and doing flips off ramps. No training wheels! :D

unreal

Noteworthy
For the record... :rofl:... There was an arm that came out and held the records steady, and that was what triggered the records to drop. Itwas needed mainly with 33 1/3 rpms and 78s. because they didn't have the record adapters to cover the spindle.
For some record players, there was wider cylindrical adapter to put over the tall spindle, so you could stack 45's also. I remember the "drop" being less accurate. That thin lever on the spindle had to trigger a larger level on the adapter. While the upper arm applied downward pressure to drop a record when the lever retracted (triggered by the playing arm retracting fully). Sometimes, 2 45's would drop at once.

I used to be fascinated with the mechanics of a record player. As a kid it was the only approachable mechanical thing where you could see what was happening, reasonably precise, chain of events, and not likely to hurt you when you poked at it :)

Sometimes I think this is a problem with solid state. How does it work? No clue by looking at it.

Maybe that sort of thing inspired me to become a mechanical engineer. It was either that or art. And engineering seemed much easier to study AND make a career of. Art is friggin' difficult. The intensity of it.

eclark1894

Visionary
Sometimes I think this is a problem with solid state. How does it work? No clue by looking at it.

Maybe that sort of thing inspired me to become a mechanical engineer. It was either that or art. And engineering seemed much easier to study AND make a career of. Art is friggin' difficult. The intensity of it.
Ironically, solid state was supposed to be the end of having to "guess" what was wrong in radios and tvs. A signal went in and if it didn't come back out, replace the part. Didn't always work that way. And then things got complicated.

Terre

Renowned
The old Western I remember watching was Have Gun Will Travel. I think I did see one or two episodes of The Lone Ranger but that was about all.

eclark1894

Visionary
The old Western I remember watching was Have Gun Will Travel. I think I did see one or two episodes of The Lone Ranger but that was about all.
My problem with Have Gun Will Travel is that basically, he was a hired gun. Even wore the black hat.
1639621163194.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I liked Have gun, will travel, though probably not as much as the other westerns I watched back in the day.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember this??? If you're female, I can sorta give you a pass, but this was actually around the first time I gave thought to shaving, even though I didn't need to. :D
1639654985653.png

robert952

Brilliant
Ironically, solid state was supposed to be the end of having to "guess" what was wrong in radios and tvs. A signal went in and if it didn't come back out, replace the part. Didn't always work that way. And then things got complicated.
When in high school, I worked on Stereos, Radios and TV. Remove back...Bop a tube...replace tube. Invoice: Tube: $4.95. Knowing which tube to bop: $45. (well it was in the late sixties, $45 service call was going rate.)

eclark1894

Visionary
When in high school, I worked on Stereos, Radios and TV. Remove back...Bop a tube...replace tube. Invoice: Tube: $4.95. Knowing which tube to bop: $45. (well it was in the late sixties, $45 service call was going rate.)
I took a radio and TV repair class at our local community college. Gotta love that "Universal Tube Tester". Never wrong. If it says a tube was bad, it was. :D

unreal

Noteworthy
It's like a committee!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I recognize him and his puppet, but it's been so long, I don't recall his name, or his puppet's name.

Oh wait!!! The puppet is Charlie McCarthy. It's the actor's name I don't recall.

eclark1894

Visionary
I recognize him and his puppet, but it's been so long, I don't recall his name, or his puppet's name.

Oh wait!!! The puppet is Charlie McCarthy. It's the actor's name I don't recall.
Charlie McCarthy and Edgar Bergen. Father of actress Candice Bergen. There was another puppet called Mortimer Snerd.
1639823480635.png