• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
Speaking of SPAM. :sneaky: A lot's been said about SPAM over the decades, but when you're growing up without a lot to eat, SPAM's good eats.
1633170212666.png

eclark1894

Visionary
That's because both Superman and Batman, the two main culprits, were created in the 1930s. Superman was modeled after the Circus Strongman. In fact, when he first appeared, even his boots looked more like a circus strongman's. When Batman came along a year later, his design was more refined. But the trunks were still on the outside.
Something I found today. Notice what I said above and how Superman's boots were first drawn by Joe Shuster. I glad they didn't adopt that "S" shield.
1633301875929.png

eclark1894

Visionary
I never ate either one, so not surprising I didn't recognize it.
Sardines, I find a little hard to believe. Spam, actually considering what's been reported to be in it... not so much. Just out of curiosity, have you ever had chitterlings, or as us real southerners call it, "Chitlins"?

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
There's a crispy snack food sold out here which is identified as pork rinds. But I am uncertain whether that's the same thing as chitlins.

I did think the sardine key looked familiar, but the context wasn't surfacing. I never ate sardines, but Dad did, and that's how one got them open until the pull-tabs became common. We occasionally had spam, but that was rare enough that I probably wouldn't have remembered that you needed a key to open it.

I ought to have remembered vienna sausages, though. I'm pretty sure those were another can with a key.

eclark1894

Visionary
There's a crispy snack food sold out here which is identified as pork rinds. But I am uncertain whether that's the same thing as chitlins.

I did think the sardine key looked familiar, but the context wasn't surfacing. I never ate sardines, but Dad did, and that's how one got them open until the pull-tabs became common. We occasionally had spam, but that was rare enough that I probably wouldn't have remembered that you needed a key to open it.

I ought to have remembered vienna sausages, though. I'm pretty sure those were another can with a key.
Pork rinds are not chitlins, but chitlins is part of the pig. I honestly don't remember whether vienna sausages ever needed a twist key.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Oh, yes, I think it was Tums rather than Rollaids. Something that was supposed to be a stomach soother, anyway.

eclark1894

Visionary
When I was a kid, these used to be on every street corner telling you what street you were on. I believed they stayed there until I was about 6 or seven. I can pinpoint that because they were there until I could read. I didn't start school until I was six.
1633441175315.png

robert952

Brilliant
When I was a kid, these used to be on every street corner telling you what street you were on. I believed they stayed there until I was about 6 or seven. I can pinpoint that because they were there until I could read. I didn't start school until I was six.
View attachment 71157
Originally painted white with black lettering, I think. But they wore/weathered quickly. This was in Charlotte. When I moved to different city, they were using the 'standard' sign up on a pole.

eclark1894

Visionary
Originally painted white with black lettering, I think. But they wore/weathered quickly. This was in Charlotte. When I moved to different city, they were using the 'standard' sign up on a pole.
When I was little, they kind of reminded me of the Washington Monument.

eclark1894

Visionary
They used them Raleigh, NC up until the mid 60s. Then switched to signs on poles.
1633471016457.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
Ah, the Chrysler Imperial! Quite a heavy bodied car. Loved that show! I owned two Chrysler Newports...not at the same time, of course. They were well built and solid vehicles. I can't imagine how nice the Imperial was, being the top of the line and loaded with luxury. My Newports were very comfy, roomy, and smooth riding.

Dana

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
'69 Newport Custom 383 4bbl in seafoam green with turquoise interior was the first car I ever owned. Always drove Chrysler Dodge Plymouth products till I bought an Omni 024. Dumped it for a K Car. Bigger mistake. Bought a F150 and that was the last thing I ever bought till I quit driving. Still have a '69 Barracuda fastback in the underground parking here.