• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

All four are 45 rpm record adapters.
I had all four at one time plus one that was designed to hold multiple records for play
45recordspindle.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
The first one looks like the insert we'd pop into the big hole on the smaller vinyl records (singles, with a song on each side) to be able to play them on a turntable designed for the larger vinyl records (albums). The second two are probably the same thing.

Not a clue on the fourth image.
Actually, they're all different versions of a 45 rpm record adapter. The last one you'd recognize if you ever owned a record player mounted in a stereo console. They enabled you to play one record and position another record to drop down after the first was done. It made your record player automatically change records.
1632942555408.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
The first one looks like the insert we'd pop into the big hole on the smaller vinyl records (singles, with a song on each side) to be able to play them on a turntable designed for the larger vinyl records (albums). The second two are probably the same thing.

Not a clue on the fourth image.
The fourth one is the same, with the addition of automation, sort of. The 45 would sit at the top. When you turned the switch to play, it would drop the 45 onto the platter, then the tone arm would move over and sit at the beginning and start playing.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
Once I knew a bit more about things, I never stacked records on those, though. If there was on on the platter and another dropped down onto it, the platter was already spinning, and there would be a moment of the top one sliding as it landed...which would wear out the etching on the grooves, thus wear out the record. You'd start to lose the highs more.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Once I knew a bit more about things, I never stacked records on those, though. If there was on on the platter and another dropped down onto it, the platter was already spinning, and there would be a moment of the top one sliding as it landed...which would wear out the etching on the grooves, thus wear out the record. You'd start to lose the highs more.

Dana
Sometimes our record changer would malfunction and would drop more than one record on the turntable.

robert952

Brilliant
I do like @KageRyu comedic interpretation for these adapters. ;)
The last three set on the spindle of a turntable (the last specifically for a V-M turntables). IIRC, the first one you could buy as a pack of 12 or 20 at the 'Record Store.' We all remember the Record Store, don't we?

Edit: Wow, a lot of us must be online! Several answers while I typed the above.

At Dana and eclark...I spent many hours repairing those turntables when in High School and Tech School.

DanaTA

Distinguished
And another problem with stacking...it wore out the motor faster, and it would slow down a bit. As a musician, that's annoying, because it would be out of proper tune if you were trying to learn a tune. It could be annoying if the motor gave up on you, too! And expensive at the time. That's why the more high end turntables didn't have that high post, just a little stub.

Dana

Terre

Renowned
And another problem with stacking...it wore out the motor faster, and it would slow down a bit. As a musician, that's annoying, because it would be out of proper tune if you were trying to learn a tune. It could be annoying if the motor gave up on you, too! And expensive at the time. That's why the more high end turntables didn't have that high post, just a little stub.

Dana
I didn't know that but it does make sense.

eclark1894

Visionary
I sure do!
Until Nightline and the Gulf War started up. :sneaky:

I remember the day President Kennedy got shot. I was out side playing in the dirt like any normal five year old. My mother ran outside, grabbed me and dragged me back into the house. She was scared. The news said that Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. Most of this was over my head. I was only five at the time. But I think they only broke into regular programming to make the announcement.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I remember them, though I never lived in a private house, so never used one.

eclark1894

Visionary
I remember them, though I never lived in a private house, so never used one.
I lived in a housing project, so the City Housing authority mowed our lawns, but my sister lived in a private house and we used her lawn mower once or twice. Of course i had two older nephews that actually did most of the mowing. When we moved to my current house in the 70s. We briefly used a push mower to cut our lawn and after that one time, my mother bought a power mower.

eclark1894

Visionary
So I've been writing down my memories of growing up in my first neighborhood. There was this old lady who live down the street from me Named Mrs. Sudie. That may not have been her real name, but it's the name we all called her in the neighborhood. I didn't like her at all, but we were all afraid of her. She had a pretty niece named Mary Ann, and Mary Ann was nice. The two of them were like night and day. Did you ever have one of those neighbors that if you hit the ball into their yard, you could say goodbye to the ball? That was Mrs. Sudie. Unless MaryAnn was there. She would either go get the ball or give it back to us if she wasn't playing with us.