• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

DanaTA

Distinguished
I don't know where my head was. It's not likely that the station just went to static as that would most likely be a violation of FCC rules and regulations. Stations are licensed to broadcast during specific hours of the day, particularly radio stations. However, if a station DOES go to static, it's most likely doing some transmitter maintenance. I know all this because I studied broadcast communications in college. I even had to do some transmitter maintenance with out school's station engineer.
And when was this? I'm talking about in the early to mid 60s! Some went to test patterns, some went to static.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
And when was this? I'm talking about in the early to mid 60s! Some went to test patterns, some went to static.

Dana
IIRC since about the 1930s. Most stations that went dark did so to protect other stations. According to the FCC rules and regulations, Stations still have sign-offs and sign ons. They just don't play them that often because most stations are now 24/7 broadcasting. Static by the way is actually broadcast signals from other stations that bleed into an area. If you listen to the static really hard, sometimes you can make out portions of a broadcast from other stations. I remember a station in our area that when they signed off at night we could listen to stations from New York and sometimes even Chicago.

eclark1894

Visionary
It's quite possible you may not know what these are, but when I was a kid in NC, we LIVED for these during the summer! Also a bunch of these literally saved my life. Remember my bike riding story a few pages back? These were the kind of bushes I sailed through the air and landed on.
Wild plums grew everywhere in Raleigh. Sadly, no more. I think they plowed them all down. We had at least three kinds, peach, regular and sugar plums.
1632266829734.png

eclark1894

Visionary
So I was watching tv and a program came on showing some of the toys commercials from when I was a kid. I remembered some of them. One of the things I remembered was this toy doctor's kit. There was more to it than this, like a hammer for testing your reflexes, and a pair of tweezers.

1632350541645.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember This??? Mr. Snow Cone! Unfortunately it was the 70s and I was a little too old for this toy. I wanted one so bad! :)
But then again, by this time I could afford slushies!
1632398202826.png

Terre

Renowned
I don't know where my head was. It's not likely that the station just went to static as that would most likely be a violation of FCC rules and regulations. Stations are licensed to broadcast during specific hours of the day, particularly radio stations. However, if a station DOES go to static, it's most likely doing some transmitter maintenance. I know all this because I studied broadcast communications in college. I even had to do some transmitter maintenance with out school's station engineer.
Then there were the radio stations that had specific hours they had access to a given frequency and had to stop transmitting when their time was up so another station could use it. This was a problem with one station I used to listed too as the one in New Mexico would continue transmitting until Mountain time said their time was up and the Texas one would start transmitting as soon as Central time said their time started. There was an hour of both transmitting at the same time in the everning.

eclark1894

Visionary
Then there were the radio stations that had specific hours they had access to a given frequency and had to stop transmitting when their time was up so another station could use it. This was a problem with one station I used to listed too as the one in New Mexico would continue transmitting until Mountain time said their time was up and the Texas one would start transmitting as soon as Central time said their time started. There was an hour of both transmitting at the same time in the everning.
Those were low power daytime only stations. A popular black station in my town could only broadcast at 500 watts AM during the daytime. I always felt like black people were gypped. All the other stations could stay on the air, but they had to reduce power or go directional at night. The ONE black station in town had to sign off the air. I know somebody's thinking well that was racist. Not really. Knowing what I know now about the AM radio band and radio wave propulgation. You wouldn't have thought 500 watts wasn't a lot of power, and you're right, it's not, but it was during the daytime and that station could reach from Raleigh all the way down to Fayetteville and Almost to the beach before you would lose it. We had FM rock stations that faded as soon as you drove out of town that broadcast at 10 and 50, 000 watts.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hey, Remember these???! I would buy them as a kid when I didn't have the money for an ice cream cone!
1632531134125.png

When I did have the money for an ice cream cone, I'd hit the Tastee Freez next door!
1632531366578.png
If my pocket was really jingling with change...
1632531566233.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Anybody Remember this??? Skittles Pool. I saw it on a television ad program from the 60s and remembered it. Never owned it though. I owned the one that had pool sticks.
1632585239911.png
1632585347839.png