• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Refining Our Direction at HiveWire 3D

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
@LisaB or @Alisa - Getting back to the first post in the thread, I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to be packaging Iray materials with any upcoming products? I'm asking this, because I'm only just beginning to figure out Iray, and my laptop is NOT Nvidia, and CANNOT do more than basic test renders, so up to this juncture, I've pretty much not touched Iray at all. Iray is VERY hard on my machine's hardware, though.

Superfly I can do just fine - it's just a matter of learning what all the nodes do.

So, do my products need to include Superfly/Iray materials?

2. I am very confused on the V4/M4 thing. The store will NOT be accepting any products that include V4/M4, even if Dawn/Dusk are included in it? Do I understand that correctly? (It's not a huge issue for me as I don't think I've got anything for them in my small catalogue anyway, but I just want to make sure I understand correctly.)

3. I think this is a wise move for Hivewire to make in terms of the brand succeeding. I'm not surprised that this change is being made, and it does make good business sense.

4. What about LaFemme? She is not a Daz product, and Rendo does seem to be more than willing to have HW figure products in their store. Will LaFemme items be allowed here, or will that also be a no? (I understand if it is a no, I'm just asking in advance for clarity's sake.)

1. I am in the same boat as you and am learning how to do Iray materials. Of course it's best for the customer and the product if it includes the latest in render settings. HiveWire will provide both with our products however, we don't demand that others do as well.

2. We will not be accepting any new products for V4/M4 even if they come with a Dawn/Dusk version.

3. Thank you. So do we.

4. We will accept products for the most recent Daz and Poser figures as long as they are included as an option with a product that is for our figures. Is LaFemme an official Poser figure? In any case, if you want to create a product for Dawn and also want to include an option for LaFemme, we would accept that. We are about supporting artists where it makes sense ... until it no longer makes sense.

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
4. We will accept products for the most recent Daz and Poser figures as long as they are included as an option with a product that is for our figures. Is LaFemme an official Poser figure? In any case, if you want to create a product for Dawn and also want to include an option for LaFemme, we would accept that. We are about supporting artists where it makes sense ... until it no longer makes sense.

LaFemme was put out by Renderosity, and I think she is intended to replace V4 in Poser. She certainly seems to have picked up the product support to do so. She was made by a group of creators, including Nerd3D, Deecey, and Blackhearted, and is published under the RPublishing vendor on Rendo, which I believe is the Rendo "official" vendor account.

I don't really forsee myself making LaF items for HW, for obvious reasons (dilution of the brand), but I have considered doing LaF and Dawn versions of certain things, so wondered if it would be wise to just keep them as completely separate products in those cases, or to bundle them together. My personal preference is for bundling, and I prefer to sell through HW for reasons I won't get into here, but I understand not wanting to dilute the brand. I guess I will just keep these sorts of items separate, and try to get the LaF put through on the Rendo side for now.

Thanks for responding, Lisa. I'm much clearer now on the specifics, and it's appreciated. :)

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
Well, we wouldn't accept items for LaFemme alone so if you are making poses for Dawn and LaFemme, they would need to be bundled. Alternatively, you could also do what you suggested and keep them separate and at different stores.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I moved my products for Millennium figures to Renderosity. I feel like I'm being so unfaithful. If not for this store when YURdigital closed down I would have just called it quits. You guys are so inspiring and I'm having a blast creating products! I sure like it here and have mixed emotions about not being an exclusive vendor.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
I moved my products for Millennium figures to Renderosity. I feel like I'm being so unfaithful. If not for this store when YURdigital closed down I would have just called it quits. You guys are so inspiring and I'm having a blast creating products! I sure like it here and have mixed emotions about not being an exclusive vendor.

We appreciate that, Janet. You can still have products that are sold exclusively at HiveWire 3D. We certainly welcome them!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey Janet- even I am not an exclusive vendor :) I've had a store at Rendo since 2008. I just have loads of HW exclusive products :) I will likely move my old Mil Horse stuff over to Rendo - I was contemplating it anyway right before this new HW policy came about as that is a more appropriate venue for that older stuff.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's where I originally purchased your items for the Mill Horse years ago. ;)

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I'm not an exclusive vendor, either. I also have a store at Renderosity. I keep it open for a broader slice of the market place as a whole. It's also my backup place in case I create something which wouldn't fit in at Hivewire.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well, we wouldn't accept items for LaFemme alone so if you are making poses for Dawn and LaFemme, they would need to be bundled. Alternatively, you could also do what you suggested and keep them separate and at different stores.

Nah, I would never in a million years submit anything for LaF alone. No worries!

I was talking about bundled items, or interactive items (I actually have in mind kind of a "welcome to the neighborhood/sisterhood" set for interaction between Dawn and LaF... which is why I was initially asking about the HW policy on a bundled or interactive item like that. That's something that I'm not sure if I should submit here or over there, when it's done, as it's kind of hard to break it up between two stores, and I aways feel a little guilty whenever I consider selling anything over there. LOL

As it stands at the moment, I'd probably just submit it to Rendo and not submit it here, though.

eclark1894

Visionary
LaFemme was put out by Renderosity, and I think she is intended to replace V4 in Poser. She certainly seems to have picked up the product support to do so. She was made by a group of creators, including Nerd3D, Deecey, and Blackhearted, and is published under the RPublishing vendor on Rendo, which I believe is the Rendo "official" vendor account.

I don't really forsee myself making LaF items for HW, for obvious reasons (dilution of the brand), but I have considered doing LaF and Dawn versions of certain things, so wondered if it would be wise to just keep them as completely separate products in those cases, or to bundle them together. My personal preference is for bundling, and I prefer to sell through HW for reasons I won't get into here, but I understand not wanting to dilute the brand. I guess I will just keep these sorts of items separate, and try to get the LaF put through on the Rendo side for now.

Thanks for responding, Lisa. I'm much clearer now on the specifics, and it's appreciated. :)

I don't believe that LaFemme is an "official" Renderosity figure. Smith Micro does claim co-sponsorship with the figure, and even though RPublishing claims to have their brand on 23 items for LaFemme, I counted, 'cause that's just what I do' and I counted 6 items with their logo.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't believe that LaFemme is an "official" Renderosity figure. Smith Micro does claim co-sponsorship with the figure, and even though RPublishing claims to have their brand on 23 items for LaFemme, I counted, 'cause that's just what I do' and I counted 6 items with their logo.

Yeah, I never meant that she was their "official" figure - just that she was being associated/sold with their branded account. By that I mean her actual base figure has their branded vendor account listed on it, along with Blackhearted, Nerd, and Deecey. That's all.

Anyway. Sorry if I gave that impression - that was never my intent.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yeah, I never meant that she was their "official" figure - just that she was being associated/sold with their branded account. By that I mean her actual base figure has their branded vendor account listed on it, along with Blackhearted, Nerd, and Deecey. That's all.

Anyway. Sorry if I gave that impression - that was never my intent.
No problem.

drafter69

Inspired
I've seen some stupid moves by companies but you are certainly at the top of the list...... why don't you also ban anything made by left handed artists.....

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Considering HiveWire develops their own line of figures, it makes sense to focus on products for HiveWire figures or to require that products for other company's figures also include a version for the HiveWire figures. I imagine the decision to no longer carry products for V4 or M4 was a bit harder to make. Though, maybe that decision wasn't that difficult or even unexpected considering the age of V4 and M4 and the lack of support for the Generation 4 figures by their creators.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Considering HiveWire develops their own line of figures, it makes sense to focus on products for HiveWire figures or to require that products for other company's figures also include a version for the HiveWire figures. I imagine the decision to no longer carry products for V4 or M4 was a bit harder to make. Though, maybe that decision wasn't that difficult or even unexpected considering the age of V4 and M4 and the lack of support for the Generation 4 figures by their creators.

What year did the 4s come out?

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yes, I think 2006. I just started using DS in 2007, and they were new. Had some V3, M3 and A3, Millennium Baby 3 and Luke, Laura, Matt and Maddie. Then the 4's started coming out.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I am not exactly sure but I purchased the V4 Complete package in December 2006 so it has to be around then or earlier.
Yes, I got the V4 Base and Morphs++ the end of 2006. The V4 Elite girls came out in 2008.