• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Redistributing Poser Dynamic Hair without the base figure - a solution

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
SO many things delaying TrueHair! It's like an old B&W comedy/farce (you wouldn't believe me if I listed half the... interruptions). Yet still, progress being made :)

For example, it looks like my current PC woes are caused by Windows Upate!

Cheers,

Cliff

CliffMainPC1.jpg

CliffMainPC2.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Slowly working through... just a pita as I keep working at it as I can't concentrate on fixing my pc, tech support for clients, TrueHair and so on at the same time. My brain complains of overload! ;)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's at times like these we wish we could clone ourselves so we could get all the work done at the same time. :)

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
It's at times like these we wish we could clone ourselves so we could get all the work done at the same time. :)

YES! That's the answer - a whole bunch of Cliffs! There's no way that could possibly backfire ;)

I spent most of a couple of days sorting that problem out and turned titan off with a sigh last night, secure in the knowledge that it's basically fixed and I can trust it again.

This morning I realised that I ought to go through similar steps to "fix" my second-in-command PC, my backup, my failsafe - called "Neptune". Before looking at it I thought I'd turn on Titan (my main PC) only to find that the boot problem is back.

Le Sigh.

So now I have two PCs, my main PC and a backup PC, both showing signs of failure *intermittently*.

Yes, I have other PCs but they are... lower down the scale than my two main PCs with CPU's released in 2009.

I have ordered a new PC. Days ago. It was due to arrive today and I planned on installing it and priming it to take over Poser dev duty over the weekend, and then it would come as a nice surprise when everyone saw an uptick on the development and submitting of TrueHair.

It has been delayed. Currently due to arrive sometime Tuesday.

Meanwhile the HiveWire Big Dog has been released!

HiveWire Big Dog - A HiveWire 3D Creation by CGCubed, Christopher Creek Art, and Sparky

I don't know if that means that a "little dog" is imminent, but dogs are a prime candidate for dynamic hair. Rush out and buy the dog everyone, ready to hairify him!

Should I be getting the dog to play with? I haven't tried the horse yet because I think the transmap manes and tails that I have seen look so good already, but maybe a Hound Of The Baskervilles render could get me playing? Oh right - Titan and Neptune need some work. Hrm.

Cheers,

Cliff

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I feel your pain, Cliff! I've started looking at computers. (Sooo much money!) Since my primary computer is out of warranty, it's time to get a new one. And ... it's been showing signs that it's time. I had to reboot it several times last weekend before it stopped being sluggish. Poser and Silo and Browser tabs tend to suck the memory right out of a computer.

I retired my second computer a couple years ago when it started giving me grief. It will be nice to have a backup/second PC again!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey Cliff!

I did start messing with True Hair on the new Dog the other day- for some reason the ears don't get covered when using "Cover In Hair". Not that it would be hard to add those in manually. ( I did just go and look and it looks like each ear has 2 body parts so that's probably why).

DogTH.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Hey Cliff!

I did start messing with True Hair on the new Dog the other day- for some reason the ears don't get covered when using "Cover In Hair". Not that it would be hard to add those in manually. ( I did just go and look and it looks like each ear has 2 body parts so that's probably why).

View attachment 34665

Cool!

Regarding ears, there's a dichotomy about adding hair to ears. If it's an animal then in general you would want hair - unless it's inside the ear, when you might not. However, if it's a primate (including a human) then we probably don't want to auto-coat the ears in fur.

There's a file - !cjbCoverInHair.py - which includes a list of default body parts to ignore. That line includes:

"Right Ear", "Left Ear", "lEar", "rEar",

If you remove that, exactly, from the line it should add hair to ear by default from then on (unless you get an updated copy from me, which will add the ears back in).

It also ignores the material "3_Ears" for the same reason - that's a material default that can also be changed.

That line also tells TrueHair not to bother putting hair onto anything calling itself leftEye, Teeth, Inner Mouth, Top Teeth, tongue and so on and so forth.

TrueHair does automatically save any hair on those body parts, and load them too - so if you want to do a pig shaving hair off of it's tongue then, well, it's possible. But the "CoverInHair" defaults don't affect anything else, basically.

Cheers,

Cliff

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ah! Cool.. no worries! Just wondered, and your answer makes perfect sense. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Rosemaryr, welcome to the HiveWire forums, and thanks for the link to the Fur Caps!

Rosemaryr

New-Bee
Thanks, Miss B! I've been away for a long time... real-life stuff kept me away from many of my different forums, but now I have a bit more time for it all again.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Sorry I've been away from the thread so much - mostly due to my computer dying a long, lingering death and then when my new computer eventually arrived it blew a graphics card. None of which has been conducive to my own health. However, the new computer is "getting there" and I hope to get back to documenting TrueHair soon - hopefully even today.

Greetings Rosemary, and thanks for the link to your fur caps!

Cheers,

Cliff

eclark1894

Visionary
Hey Cliff!

View attachment 34665
Looks like you might need to exclude the claws in that cover with hair, Laurie.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Looks like you might need to exclude the claws in that cover with hair, Laurie.

I'm hoping to get the dog (I left it till it was no longer on sale - smart, right?) so I'll hope to take a look at the claws. I can't remember how the Cat claws were done offhand, so I might take a look there. Also, although TrueHair currently excludes ears by default I'm thinking of stopping that - I think more critters (that benefit from hair at all) would need fur on the ears than not.

Cheers,

Cliff

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hey Cliff, maybe it would be easier for you to create a library of groups in whatever figure is being used and ask the user to select those groups which should be ignored.

A friend of mine is doing the same for the handles on ProjectE - to exclude handles from a cloth sim.

SelectMenu.jpg

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm hoping to get the dog (I left it till it was no longer on sale - smart, right?) so I'll hope to take a look at the claws. I can't remember how the Cat claws were done offhand, so I might take a look there. Also, although TrueHair currently excludes ears by default I'm thinking of stopping that - I think more critters (that benefit from hair at all) would need fur on the ears than not.

Cheers,

Cliff
Ears might actually be a horse of a different color. Do the ears have to have fur on the inside or just the outside ? Seems to me the inner ear should be hairless. But that's just me talking.