• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

eclark1894

Visionary
Unless Poser 12 comes with some hot new features that merit a new figure, I don't see the point of reinventing the wheel--especially if it will be yet another half-assed figure. (Pauline was better than most ...) Maybe a LaFemme 2 with an easy way to refit original clothes. Dawn 2 would be interesting, but I don't see that happening.
I don't see that happening. SM was okay with it because they don't really sell content. Renderosity, on the other hand, does. I don't see them cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I hope this opens up more options for HiveWire, since Renderosity has actually been receptive to collaborating with HiveWire. Wouldn't bother me in the least if HiveWire figures were included in Poser.

While I wasn't all that happy with Smith Micro, Poser did advance under their ownership. While I'd still love to see the cloth and hair rooms get a bit more love, it's not a deal breaker to me.

But, it sure has been a low key announcement. Hopefully, we'll get a bit more information soon of the planned direction under Bondware/Renderosity.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Perhaps time to inject a note of caution amidst the euphoria but I have just asked if Renderosity has bought the vanilla Poser 11 along with the more expensive Pro version. I've asked because someone asked the same question earlier and received no answer although Jenn Blake has happily responded to other enquiries. The reason I believe a response is necessary lies in Renderosity's own upgrade offer. As Rae pointed out earlier you can upgrade to Poser 11 Pro from as little as $99 but, to do so you need an existing licence number from various Posers up to Poser 10. Note the absence of Poser 11. I also note that at least one person has tried to upgrade from Poser 11 which was rejected. While Renderosity has the right to announce their acquisition in any way they choose, there seems to be a lack of openness in favour of PR compared to the straightforward way in which SmithMicro made the same announcement which could be considered as suspect. As a long-time user of Poser, it would be nice to see a bit more openness from Renderosity on what they have actually acquired for the simple reason that it appears that I may be using the last version that I, like many others, can afford. If that's the case, it seems like very peculiar business practice to purchase a piece of software when you intend to decimate that software's support base!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not sure this is the correct response to your questioning whether R'osity has also acquired Poser 11 Standard but, as far as I have always known, when it's going from a Standard version, to the Pro of the same version, it's called a side-grade, not an upgrade. This means from say version 10 to version 11, or hopefully in the near future, version 11 to version 12 is an upgrade, whereas, going from version 11 Standard to version 11 Pro is a side-grade.

As far as pricing between the two, I'm not positive, but think a side-grade is slightly less expensive, because it's the same version, just more options become available with the Pro version.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thank you, Miss B. It's not exactly the response I'm after which preferably should come from Jenn Blake who has failed to respond to a previous request for the same information from another person. That is not in any way intended to disparage you I hasten to add. Actually, the way in which Renderosity is handling this so far puts me in mind of the way they have dealt with LaFemme. They want us all to buy her and her supporting products but just try talking about her in anything other than the two LaFemme forums, both of which are restricted to vendors. I have, and in each case have met with a rather ominous 'your request has been recorded and logged' message. To some degree, I can understand that given the overwhelming, and often unfair criticism, other figures have met with not least of which Dawn and Dusk stand proud. I would also tend to ignore those posts over at Renderosity who seem convinced that Poser is going to suddenly become compatible with Daz Studio and G8. It's just not going to happen people! What I would expect would be for Posers proud new owners to be answering simple questions from Poser owners like myself rather than just blast us with PR and hope that no one notices the things that aren't being said. I honestly believe myself (and others) have a valid question and deserve an honest answer. After all, the number of hobbyists owning Poser 11 must far outstrip those who own Poser 11 Pro given the hefty price difference. In answer to your post changing from Poser 11 (and other) versions has always been referred to by Renderosity, which is where I bought Poser 11 as an upgrade. In fact, I could do that as little as ten days ago which is when I last checked the prices to see if I could afford to make the change. Now it appears I no longer can and judging from the experience of the person I am aware of whose attempt was rejected, neither can anyone else! It seems sad to say, that given the experience so far, the most honest response has come from SmithMicro with their simple announcement which is laudable given their previous silence on the subject. Now it may appear that I am taking this personally to some degree and you would be right and for, to my mind, sound reasons. In recent months I have purchased Poser 11 twice, both times from Renderosity. The first copy was on my workstation which crashed taking everything with it, including most of my artworks and a near lifetimes collection of my photographs. After repeated attempts to recover it by getting my licence number from both Renderosity and SmithMicro, the response from both of whom can best be described as watching tumbleweed drift across the desert, I gave in and bought another copy which is the one I'm using now. So it comes as something as a shock to discover that the only way I'm going to carry on with Poser is to spend a further $199 on Poser 11 Pro in order to have access to future upgrades given that upgrading from Poser 11 has apparently been ruled out!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I could have sworn I saw that Poser 11, as well as Poser Pro 11, would be available at Renderosity, but I only see Poser Pro 11 in the store. I doubt they ONLY bought Poser Pro 11 from Smith Micro. It would make no sense for them to purchase a single product version, and to have Smith Micro still owning all other versions. It may be that Renderosity has just not yet put out the product pages for Poser 11 (non Pro), or maybe they saw no point in offering the non Pro version with an upgrade price for Poser Pro of $99. They may not have considered that someone might want to move from Poser 11 to Poser Pro 11.

If someone upgraded to Poser 11 from an earlier version, it may be possible to upgrade from that version to Poser Pro 11.

I get the impression Smith Micro announced the news before Renderosity was ready. But as has been mentioned, it's unclear if Bondware purchased the software to sell in the Renderosity store, but with no plans to continue development. It could be too that they don't have all their duckies in a row yet in terms of development, so are waiting until they have a development team and vision in place. Inquiring minds and all, you know?

Unfortunately, when there is a dearth of information, people do tend to speculate and make all kinds of odd assumptions.

eclark1894

Visionary
Perhaps time to inject a note of caution amidst the euphoria but I have just asked if Renderosity has bought the vanilla Poser 11 along with the more expensive Pro version. I've asked because someone asked the same question earlier and received no answer although Jenn Blake has happily responded to other enquiries. The reason I believe a response is necessary lies in Renderosity's own upgrade offer. As Rae pointed out earlier you can upgrade to Poser 11 Pro from as little as $99 but, to do so you need an existing licence number from various Posers up to Poser 10. Note the absence of Poser 11. I also note that at least one person has tried to upgrade from Poser 11 which was rejected. While Renderosity has the right to announce their acquisition in any way they choose, there seems to be a lack of openness in favour of PR compared to the straightforward way in which SmithMicro made the same announcement which could be considered as suspect. As a long-time user of Poser, it would be nice to see a bit more openness from Renderosity on what they have actually acquired for the simple reason that it appears that I may be using the last version that I, like many others, can afford. If that's the case, it seems like very peculiar business practice to purchase a piece of software when you intend to decimate that software's support base!

I think all you have to do is read the announcement. It says the Poser PRODUCT LINE has been purchased by Bondware, owner of Renderosity. That means Poser Standard, Poser Pro and Poser Game Dev.

eclark1894

Visionary
I get the impression Smith Micro announced the news before Renderosity was ready. But as has been mentioned, it's unclear if Bondware purchased the software to sell in the Renderosity store, but with no plans to continue development.
Well, that would make no sense. There's no way they could make their money back if they did that.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Myth, I can't believe you had to purchase a SECOND licence because of a hard ware crash. That rather sucks!

While I had my Poser Pro 11 license number, I wasn't able to activate the product because I'd not deactivated the license before my hard drive failed. (Um ... that generally is the case with a hard drive failure). There initial response was to assume I'd entered letters instead of numbers or lowercase instead of uppercase letters. I again explained I'd reached the max activations for the license (this was the second hard ware failure, so I'd already activated Poser Pro 11 twice). Their next response was to tell me to delete the C:\ProgramData\Poser\11 folder, and I would then be able to activate it.

Supposedly, Smith Micro couldn't deactivate the product, and it had to be done through the software (or by deleting the folder). I don't know about that because I was suddenly able to activate the license without doing anything other than to attempt to reinstall.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I could have sworn I saw that Poser 11, as well as Poser Pro 11, would be available at Renderosity, but I only see Poser Pro 11 in the store. I doubt they ONLY bought Poser Pro 11 from Smith Micro. It would make no sense for them to purchase a single product version, and to have Smith Micro still owning all other versions. It may be that Renderosity has just not yet put out the product pages for Poser 11 (non Pro), or maybe they saw no point in offering the non Pro version with an upgrade price for Poser Pro of $99. They may not have considered that someone might want to move from Poser 11 to Poser Pro 11.

If someone upgraded to Poser 11 from an earlier version, it may be possible to upgrade from that version to Poser Pro 11.

I get the impression Smith Micro announced the news before Renderosity was ready. But as has been mentioned, it's unclear if Bondware purchased the software to sell in the Renderosity store, but with no plans to continue development. It could be too that they don't have all their duckies in a row yet in terms of development, so are waiting until they have a development team and vision in place. Inquiring minds and all, you know?

Unfortunately, when there is a dearth of information, people do tend to speculate and make all kinds of odd assumptions.

Sorry Satira but where is the odd assumption in asking what has happened to Poser 11? That is the question I have asked over at Renderosity and here.

FACT: A few days ago I could upgrade to Poser 11 Pro from Poser 11. Now I can't.
FACT: Renderosity are offering upgrades to Poser 11 Pro on previous versions up to Poser 10. I have also heard from someone I am acquainted with that they tried to upgrade (this morning) from Poser 11and were rejected.

eclark1894

Visionary
In answer to your post changing from Poser 11 (and other) versions has always been referred to by Renderosity, which is where I bought Poser 11 as an upgrade. In fact, I could do that as little as ten days ago which is when I last checked the prices to see if I could afford to make the change. Now it appears I no longer can and judging from the experience of the person I am aware of whose attempt was rejected, neither can anyone else! It seems sad to say, that given the experience so far, the most honest response has come from SmithMicro with their simple announcement which is laudable given their previous silence on the subject. Now it may appear that I am taking this personally to some degree and you would be right and for, to my mind, sound reasons. In recent months I have purchased Poser 11 twice, both times from Renderosity. The first copy was on my workstation which crashed taking everything with it, including most of my artworks and a near lifetimes collection of my photographs. After repeated attempts to recover it by getting my licence number from both Renderosity and SmithMicro, the response from both of whom can best be described as watching tumbleweed drift across the desert, I gave in and bought another copy which is the one I'm using now. So it comes as something as a shock to discover that the only way I'm going to carry on with Poser is to spend a further $199 on Poser 11 Pro in order to have access to future upgrades given that upgrading from Poser 11 has apparently been ruled out!

Did you check your Renderosity account? You should have been able to redownload he program from there if you bought it from Rendo.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, I agree Earl, it makes no sense to purchase software with no intention to continue development. However, it wouldn't be the first time software was purchased and development ended.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Oops! I hit the post button before I finished my response so if someone would please delete it which I am no longer able to do because of the 10 minute time limit. Thank you!

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Which post, Myth? If you give me the post number (to the left of the like button), I'll delete it and the posts referring to deleting it ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh no Myth! I didn't mean you and others were making an odd assumption about being able to upgrade from Poser 11 to Poser Pro 11! I agree that's an important question (as well as what's happened to Poser 11. Hopefully, both will be addressed before the limited availability sale expires.

No, I was referring to the insistence that the Poser development team must make Poser compatible with Genesis content or that they need to make DSON functional in Poser.

HiveWire has no problem with making their figures native in both Poser and DAZ Studio. Surely, DAZ should be able to do the same. It's not like they have one person modeling and one person rigging.

Honestly, if you're going to emulate someone else's software ... go to the top. Like SideFX's Houdini!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Did you check your Renderosity account? You should have been able to redownload he program from there if you bought it from Rendo.

At that time Renderosity was selling Poser with the download being handled by SM download manager which required me to input the licence number I couldn't recover. Almost a perfect Catch 22 situation I guess! :cry:

DanaTA

Distinguished
I wonder if they may be trying to follow DAZ's lead and only provide a Pro version going forward. And maybe simply charge more for "game dev" versions of content.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
At that time Renderosity was selling Poser with the download being handled by SM download manager which required me to input the licence number I couldn't recover. Almost a perfect Catch 22 situation I guess! :cry:
Then your license number should still be in your Renderosity account. Would you do me the favor and check on that order?