• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser License Manager

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
This happened to me. I downloaded and installed the latest version from Renderosity. It accepted my serial number and has been working fine ever since.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Unfortunately Poser 11 will not run on Windows XP 64, Poser 2014 GD was the last version that would install and run on it.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Oooh... yeah... I don't even remember what version of Poser I was running on XP 64. Is your system up to Win10 (and do you have any software that's not compatible with it)?

Hornet3d

Wise
Lost a lot of programs, and some hardware, that worked in Windows XP but not in Windows 7. My expensive HP scanner that was relatively new would not work as HP did not make drivers for Windows 7. Most of the software was games but there were few security programs, like the one that hid drives also fell by the wayside.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Oooh... yeah... I don't even remember what version of Poser I was running on XP 64. Is your system up to Win10 (and do you have any software that's not compatible with it)?
A lot of the software on my workstation wont work on 10, and i hate 10 (and 8, and not very fond of 7) - I would lose my printer, my flatbed scanners, my zip drives, possibly the software for my camera. As it is a few things no longer work going from 32 to 64 bit (several image and audio tools I used no longer function). My plan was to eventually get a newer system for newer software and keep the current for the tools I needed, but this past 18 months have been major financial setbacks so I am stuck.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
-_- I just went to redo some promos only to find the manual reactivation did not stick, and it failed again today, and now the manual server is down.
Damn Smith Micro.

Hornet3d

Wise
A lot of the software on my workstation wont work on 10, and i hate 10 (and 8, and not very fond of 7) - I would lose my printer, my flatbed scanners, my zip drives, possibly the software for my camera. As it is a few things no longer work going from 32 to 64 bit (several image and audio tools I used no longer function). My plan was to eventually get a newer system for newer software and keep the current for the tools I needed, but this past 18 months have been major financial setbacks so I am stuck.

Sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble and that your plans have been thwarted, let's hope the situation changes soon.

I was lucky enough to have a wind fall and purchased a new system which sadly had to be Windows 10. To be honest it has not been as bad as I expected but I don't think I will ever fall in love with W10. Up until this week I had the old system running Windows 7 but the PSU has now failed and if it has taken the mortarboard as well it will be uneconomic to repair. That leaves me with a few programs I was still using that will not work with W10 so I will need to look for alternatives.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
A lot of the software on my workstation wont work on 10, and i hate 10 (and 8, and not very fond of 7) - I would lose my printer, my flatbed scanners, my zip drives, possibly the software for my camera.

I can empathise, I have two excellent photo printers I can't use due to switching to 10, although everything else I managed to get working one way or another (although there's a couple I have to launch with admin privileges). Maybe there's a way to wrangle the downgrade to non-GD as a temporary solution, although you've probably already looked into that.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Companies like Logitech and Microsoft are known for stopping support for their devices after most major OS updates. This means no drivers for a new OS, so perfectly working devices become pretty [and often expensive] paperweights. For example, I own 3 of Microsoft's high-end game controllers, where none was supported after Windows 7/8 were released. Microsoft claims they relied on technology that only existed in older Windows versions, so there was no way to make them work in the newer ones.

Logitech simply stopped releasing drivers for the new OSes, and that was it. As a result, my $380 3D mouse became a fancy paperweight overnight, and it is still in perfect working conditions, but is not recognized in Windows 10. I had to buy a new one, which I bet makes them happy.

I think the bottom line is that we have become hostage of drivers. There used to be a time when we bought a new device because we wanted to, or because the older one had stopped working. Now it's when the manufacturer decides we should buy a new one. Isn't that convenient?

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 what you describe is partly why I keep older machines until they suffer catastrophic motherboard failure. I still have 1 machine running 98 using ISA cards and an RS232 onboard port for my large flatbed scanner (unsupported in XP) and my very expensive (b 90's standards) Dye Sublination, full bleed, Photo Printer (also unsupported in XP) - that stuff predates my health issues and disability, back when I was till freelancing as a graphics and commercial artist. Back when I wasn't poor.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 what you describe is partly why I keep older machines until they suffer catastrophic motherboard failure. I still have 1 machine running 98 using ISA cards and an RS232 onboard port for my large flatbed scanner (unsupported in XP) and my very expensive (b 90's standards) Dye Sublination, full bleed, Photo Printer (also unsupported in XP) - that stuff predates my health issues and disability, back when I was till freelancing as a graphics and commercial artist. Back when I wasn't poor.

Wow that's drastic. I remember holding back to Windows XP for a LONG time before moving on, mostly because of devices I had at the time. However, I cannot have the luxury of holding back on hardware when working with 3D, because performance is key to be able to deliver the goods on a timely manner. I could no longer cope with 4GB RAM when working with 3DSMAX or even Poser. When I moved to Windows 7, it was already 64-bits, and I don't regret it.

A couple of years ago I was forced to retire my GTX 580 because it wouldn't work with iClone 6, as well as a number of other programs. I had to upgrade to a GTX 980 Ti, which I still use to this date, even if it's generations behind the current. I dream of having a RTX card, which alone currently costs more than my whole system combined. I get nervous when I see the GTX 980 Ti being now listed as a minimum requirement in some cases, because it's an excellent video card. Nonetheless, it's getting close to becoming obsolete. I will keep it for as long as my programs accept it, which in a way tells me it will not be my choice when it's time to replace it.

Hardware keeps advancing in faster and bigger steps these days. At least one good news is that AMD has finally reached a point where they have threaten Intel, so there is a chance prices will finally come down.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I would hold off on the RTX, as there have been folks posting that Poser's SuperFly render engine isn't ready for it.

Of course, that can change down the road, but not currently a good choice.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Poser is not the only program claimed not to be ready for RTX, but things are slowly changing. DS 4.12 claims to support RTX, and Reallusion CC3 and iClone 7 are working to have it incorporated. Octane 4 already supported it on release date. In a way, RTX seems to be an investment in the future, since things seem to be going that way. I had my doubts in the beginning because I thought people wouldn't like to pick RTX because it only works with nVidia cards, but the adoption seems to be going well, and with enthusiasm. Even AMD seems to be implementing their own version of RTX that still can't compete in the same level, but what matters is the fact that they are trying.

I actually thought something like Vulcan would become the new standard because it's platform and brand independent, but then we remember that it cannot do the same kinds of things RTX brings to the table. Real-time raytracing has always been the holy grail of 3D graphics. There is no argument about it. RTX cards also bring a new kind of hardware accelerated "Tensor cores" that can speed up artificial intelligence to levels never seen before, and even considered impossible for decades. In this day and age, this is also a game-changer. Maybe not for gamers, but instead for computer scientists like me. AI systems are already changing the way we live and work, even if most people haven't realized it yet.

basic user

New-Bee
Well today i had last day with poser at least as long as it requires some license rewakening time to time from internet
i had bought poser11 dvd for use offline but no.
This is not complaint ....See you in the future

basic user

New-Bee
Maybe "permanent license" only means it doesn't have a time limit, but you still have to remain online to use it. Many companies nowadays have opted for temporarily "renting" the software to you through monthly subscriptions. To me, that's the real tragedy.
My opinion too

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Well today i had last day with poser at least as long as it requires some license rewakening time to time from internet
i had bought poser11 dvd for use offline but no.
This is not complaint ....See you in the future

You have to upgrade your SMS license for Poser 11 with Rendo - the new Poser owners. SMS no longer supports Poser, and their licensing server is no longer online. Once you do that, you will get Poser 11.3, which has a new license manager that is currently in effect. If you didn't do it already, Poser 11 will stop working because the license cannot be verified anymore. I did that transition and it was rather quick and painless. Give it a try. :)

basic user

New-Bee
Well, problem is not poser but Id like to work offline- and I have updated my rig for poser11 and it works, though testing that was 2 years ago
Also i dont want windows 10 crappy updates to spoil my computer or any viruses, as my current rig works so fine windows10 and poser7 for about 5or
6 years now and still going strong mostly i would update is because Project E character and some HiweWire characters more better looking than default stuff but thanks for reply Ken1171
but i am still thinking....

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I remember SMS had changed the licensing scheme exactly because people had complained that it was calling home way too often, and some people didn't have stable internet connection. I remember once there was a heavy rain, and I lost internet connection for several hours, and Poser 11 would refuse to launch during that period - that kind of thing. I can't confirm this, but I think SMS has changed this so that Poser 11 will not call home every time we launch, but instead something like once a week or something like that.

I have just ran a quick test - I have disconnected the internet from my PC and launched Rendo's Poser 11.3, and it started with no error messages. I guess that confirms the above. It is not as bad as it used to be. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I could be wrong, or just not remembering correctly, but I always thought this would happen every certain amount of days/weeks. IOW, for instance, if you were using P11 locally (without being online) for say two weeks, then it would want you to "phone home", but during the first amount of time, and I guess the next amount of time after reconnecting with SM, you could then be offline again. Am I remembering this correctly? I'm always online, so this has never been a problem for me.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I don't know exactly how often Poser 11 calls home. I just know it does. In my quick test, we don't have to be online all the time, but it will have to call home eventually. Like you, I am always online, so this is not an issue for me - except when we have occasional connection outages and Poser refuses to launch, which I think is no longer an issue. At least not an immediate one.