• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser License Manager

Willowisp

Adventurous
@Willowisp Are you referring to shaders turning black in SF? We still have FF in Poser 11.
No, I am talking about Firefly. Something in Firefly was changed in P11 that makes a lot of previous content not render right. Particularly stuff from Aery Soul, I've seen that mentioned elsewhere too, so it's not just me

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
No, I am talking about Firefly. Something in Firefly was changed in P11 that makes a lot of previous content not render right. Particularly stuff from Aery Soul, I've seen that mentioned elsewhere too, so it's not just me

Oh I see. I haven't used Firefly so much these days, so I haven't noticed that. Perhaps this is something to report to Rendo?

Hornet3d

Wise
To clarify, I now believe that I was wrong in thinking that it would cost $99 to upgrade PPro2014GD. My guess is that the page I screenshot was put together before Rendo realized that GD would die w/o constant server validation and they decided to mercifully add it to the free upgrade status.

I don't have a PPro2014 license with which to downgrade; I have five PPro2014GD licenses.

Sorry to hear you have no PPro2014 license as it is useful to have, I have always kept a version installed just in case I lost Poser 11 and that was before Bondware purchased the Poser line. I guess the good news is you do not have to pay nearly $500 to upgrade your Game Dev versions.

Hornet3d

Wise
I just wish Rendo would take this opportunity to level up the Poser versions and give free P11 upgrades to everyone who has a valid Poser license, not just for the Game Dev versions. Even Microsoft did it with WIn10 to alleviate the stress of having to support so many out there who are still using older versions. Contents created with Poser 11 are not fully compatible with previous versions, and the content creation tools in Poser 10 are broken and will never be fixed. Things would be much simpler if everybody would just use the current version.

That would be a nice idea, although it looks as though it might cause some user a few issues although I guess they would have a choice as to whether to update or not. Still I guess that it is a commercial decision and at least they got rid of the standard + Pro versions in favour of a single version.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Sorry to hear you have no PPro2014 license as it is useful to have, I have always kept a version installed just in case I lost Poser 11 and that was before Bondware purchased the Poser line. I guess the good news is you do not have to pay nearly $500 to upgrade your Game Dev versions.

I have four workstations; I'll upgrade my two P11Pro licenses and two of the PPro2014GD licenses. But I won't be able to do P10 compatibility testing anymore.

skylab

Esteemed
If this helps anyone, about the Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev issue, I wasn't able to return to the Poser Pro 2014 serial in order to get it to work on my old workstation where it was originally installed.....BUT....when I did a clean install of Poser Pro 2014 on a different hard drive, it has been working fine. So somewhere on the original hard drive, license info was stored that prevented down-grading back to plain Poser Pro 2014. I purchased the Game Dev part for around $50 I think, as an upgrade....so I just cut my losses on that, and was glad to get Poser Pro 2014 back up and running. :)

:coding:

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Does anyone know of a way to do a Queue-only install for remotes (aka "render slaves", "rendercows")?
I am not sure with the new version from Bondware - but if there is still a seperate Queue Manager download that is all you need to download and install on the remotes. This was what I did time and again for Poser Pro through Poser Pro 2014GD. The Queue Manager running needs to be the same version as the Core Program. Once installed on all machines, the Queue Manager on the machine with your core program will act as the host and connect to the others (it can be used to render or not as you decide). On all nodes set them to accept jobs from network, and on the host set it to send jobs to network.

EDIT - I have even run multiple versions of queue manager consecutively (Poser 7, Poser 2012), but caution should be used when doing this.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Aha! Here's how to install Queue-only on remotes. Run the P11.2 installer. This window has "full installation" selected by default. open the drop-down menu, and change the selection to "Queue Manager only".
Queue-only install.png

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
If this helps anyone, about the Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev issue, I wasn't able to return to the Poser Pro 2014 serial in order to get it to work on my old workstation where it was originally installed.....BUT....when I did a clean install of Poser Pro 2014 on a different hard drive, it has been working fine. So somewhere on the original hard drive, license info was stored that prevented down-grading back to plain Poser Pro 2014. I purchased the Game Dev part for around $50 I think, as an upgrade....so I just cut my losses on that, and was glad to get Poser Pro 2014 back up and running. :)

That's strange. I have just entered my PP2014 serial into the Game Dev version, and next time I ran it, it had reverted back to the PP2014 version. You won't see any difference until you restart the program, and it doesn't show any messages to tell us something has changed. You will know it has changed because the About box and the splash screen will be different.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
OK, just tried sending a render off to a remote. It worked! Apparently, the Queue no longer requires precise build number match.

After updating some more servers to the 11.2 Queue, I'll try a massed network animation render.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Glad to hear it's working. I know the Content updates often didn't have the same version number as the Poser updates. Then again, the Queue Manager is software as well, so I would also assume it would have the same version number. Of course, it probably doesn't get as many updates as the software itself so that, too, could be a factor in the version number differences.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The Poser forums at SMS are also still up, though they have locked them all for viewing only.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
The thing that bugs me though, is that on the PC in question the license was supposed to have been permanent...yet I go to use it today and it pops up that annoying window "Activation Failed".

Willowisp

Adventurous
The thing that bugs me though, is that on the PC in question the license was supposed to have been permanent...yet I go to use it today and it pops up that annoying window "Activation Failed".
Yea the 'permanent' solution wasn't after all, just extended for a couple of years or something like that. SM lied about that too.

Hornet3d

Wise

Just shows that, despite all the Poser users flagging this as an issue to SM at the time, they did nothing to rectify the situation and then to add insult to injury lied and said they had it all in hand. If there is a positive to this at least Poser is no longer relying on them for it's future.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yea the 'permanent' solution wasn't after all, just extended for a couple of years or something like that. SM lied about that too.

Maybe "permanent license" only means it doesn't have a time limit, but you still have to remain online to use it. Many companies nowadays have opted for temporarily "renting" the software to you through monthly subscriptions. To me, that's the real tragedy.