• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser fur - Superfly

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Tiny, are you planning on doing anymore fur for the animals?

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
Tiny, are you planning on doing anymore fur for the animals?
I was going to and would love to do it but am a bit disillusioned by a couple of things plus health issues.

1. The superfly not rendering fur well (see pics). As far as I understand most people are using superfly renders now a days. If I could do for example the HW cat without the encoder and for firefly only it would be so much easier.
2. The hassle of needing an encoding/decoding Java program which makes it complicated for many users. Am not sure if it's even being supported anymore.

Images rendered with all default settings and lighting.

firefly.jpg
superfly.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The firefly looks lovely!

hmmm I'm sure there's someone here that can help you.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey Tiny- I feel you- the Superfly hair shader for fur just isn't good. I've tried too/messed loads with it and gotten nowhere I like with it. Firefly is much better for fur. I have mentioned this issue to Rendo several times as something to be addressed in new versions of Poser now they own it. Guess all we can do is see what happens.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmm, I wonder if Bagginsbill's Hair Shader would work with SuperFly renders. It's the fifth one on the File Cabinet page of his site.

Bagginsbill's File Cabinet

I can't guarantee it'll work, but it might help.

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
I have mentioned it too CWRW, first while in the beta testing group and superfly first appeared and lately to Rendo. I was given a workaround by the beta team but that solution would not work for users in general.
Also don't like having to use RTEjava encoder. How does that work with the fur program you use?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hmmm, I wonder if Bagginsbill's Hair Shader would work with SuperFly renders. It's the fifth one on the File Cabinet page of his site.

Bagginsbill's File Cabinet

I can't guarantee it'll work, but it might help.

I do have that on one of my drives dated last year. Guessing I tried it but will look again. The problem with most SF hair shaders is they are made for human hair not fur:) And yeah there is a difference:)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I have mentioned it too CWRW, first while in the beta testing group and superfly first appeared and lately to Rendo. I was given a workaround by the beta team but that solution would not work for users in general.
Also don't like having to use RTEjava encoder. How does that work with the fur program you use?

I am guessing you mean LAMH? AM has a free Look at My Hair "player" (as well as the full version) and the end user uses that DS plug-in software's dialogue box to apply my LAMH presets. Then there are some manual steps to be completed by the end user to apply the correct hair quantity etc and the Iray shader etc as only AM can make a "native" LAMH product that loads all at once. (Same deal with his Iray Catalyzer- only he can make products that utilize that abilty/software, so in essence one can not use the Catalyzer with my LAMH presets.)

It's a shame Cliff Bowman abandoned his True Hair software for Poser. It had real potential/made the hair creator's job a lot easier. EDITED TO ADD- stil didn't solve the SF hair shader issue though...

Tiny

The real me
Contributing Artist
Good try though. I recognise the issues and the headaches that surely came with it. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I do have that on one of my drives dated last year. Guessing I tried it but will look again. The problem with most SF hair shaders is they are made for human hair not fur:) And yeah there is a difference:)
Oh, I know there's a difference, but thought it might help get to something usable with fur.

Me195

Extraordinary
1. The superfly not rendering fur well (see pics). As far as I understand most people are using superfly renders now a days. If I could do for example the HW cat without the encoder and for firefly only it would be so much easier.
Hey Tiny- I feel you- the Superfly hair shader for fur just isn't good. I've tried too/messed loads with it and gotten nowhere I like with it. Firefly is much better for fur. I have mentioned this issue to Rendo several times as something to be addressed in new versions of Poser now they own it. Guess all we can do is see what happens.

If you'd like you can try this shader. Simple Hair Trans Cycles 4.mt5 It's is a simple Cycles Hair shader I made for hair that uses transparency, but it should work fine for strand hair. Just set it up like this.
HowToHairShader.jpg

I haven't packaged it yet, so right now it's just an MT5 file. Just stick the MT5 file in your materials folder and it should work. I am going to package it up properly and make it available as a resource soon. I plan to make a simple strand version as well. I hope this helps.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks Me. I'm definitely going to try it out on strand hair, so will post here if I have any success.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, it may be my P11 version, because I've not updated the past 3 updates, and I noticed you created this in 11.3.818, which I believe is the current update, so not sure if that's an issue. I'm also not that up-to-date on compound node setups, so with one of the strand hair products, which has two color nodes, it sort of worked when I changed the black you used to another color for the first color, but it didn't work with the other strand hair, which only has one color. I couldn't get it to be anything but black.

How it will work with animal fur, I have no idea. Not sure which of the HW animals I should try it with.

Me195

Extraordinary
I'm not sure why it's only giving you black. My guess is that the strand hair you are using needs a color ramp to color the hair. Since my shader is designed to be texture driven for color it can only do one solid color. I'd be happy to take a look at the shader, but I don't want to hijack the thread. If you want to message me I can take a look at it.

I actually just did a couple renders using the Hivewire House Cat with my Hair Shader a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I made this dynamic hair simulation back when I first started using the hair room so the settings for the fur are all wrong. So here it is with the hair lengths incorrect, the clumpiness is incorrect, and there is about 10 cats worth of fur on it. Keep in mind there is so much fur that the shadows they make darken the color. I hope these renders will demonstrate the softness and translucency.
CatDyn1.jpg

for this one I matched the incorrect fur length to make it uniform and used a lighter texture.
CatDyn3.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'll play with it more later and get back to you. One of the strand hairs I tried it on only uses one color, so I'll concentrate on that one.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I've moved these to a new thread, as they are a completely different subject than the original thread :)