• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Panama Fruit Feeder Cam

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Most birds I see at the feeder don't have much problems sharing. They might grab the fruit from another, but they don't cause a scene over it. The Clay-colored Thrushes are the exception. The minute they arrive, the squabbling begins and never stops until they leave.

There is more than enough fruit for the Flame-rumped Tanagers, even if they voice off to each other a few times. But Clay-colored Thrushes show up and suddenly, there just isn't enough fruit. One Thrush tries to drive everyone away from fruit he isn't even eating.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, they're the ones I usually see fussing over other species being there. The attendant always puts out a nice amount of food, so why they can't just let the other birds be, I have no idea. I guess they just like to "rule the roost", as it were. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, just spotted this really colorful bird at at the Fruit Feeder, and don't recall if I've ever seen this species before.

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-23-19A.jpg

Uh oh, looks like a standoff in the making. ;)

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-23-19B.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The Rufous Motmots are absolutely beautiful birds, especially with that fabulous tail. They will stand up to the Clay-colored Thrushes. Most birds I see hang back waiting for the Thrushes to leave, or bravely sneaking in to grab a bit of fruit.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhh right! I should've recognized the tip of it's tail. Now I remember seeing it before.

Miss B

CV-BEE
WOW, good catch Flint! I don't think I've ever seen so many at once. Then again, I'm rarely up "early" in the morning. ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've been so crazy busy because of work, that even when I'm home I don't tend to think about checking until it's dark!

Then, it's no fun.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, thanks Flint. It has nice distinctive coloring, so I liked it right away.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I haven't been lucky lately, probably because I'm just not checking at the right time, but I finally was able to get a couple of screenshots a few minutes ago . . .

PanamaFruitFeeder-3-10-19A.jpg

and a slightly better one.

PanamaFruitFeeder-3-10-19B.jpg

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I saw that bird a couple days ago, but it didn't get where I could get a good screenshot of it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I haven't had much luck getting a good screenshot at the Fruit Feeder lately, but just got one, with the same bird I saw the last time, about a month ago.

PanamaFruitFeeder-4-11-19.jpg

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
That's a nice capture Miss B.

I saw a Rufous Motmot this morning which had lost it's magnificent tail feathers.
115a mot mot-no tail.jpg

And then I saw - - - a Striped Basilisk!!!
116d lizard.JPG

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks Flint, as I got lucky. I always have my finger hovering over the Print Screen button when I go to the Bird Feeder, and it was a good thing I did, because he flew away almost immediately.

I always like the Rufous Motmot's coloring, and is it strange that he lost the long tail feathers, or is that something that happens at a certain age/time of year?

Don't think I've seen a Striped Basilisk before. His tail looks longer than his body.

What I really want to know is, what is that "stuff" they covered the perching logs with. It almost looks like some monstrous animal in hibernation.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
...I always like the Rufous Motmot's coloring, and is it strange that he lost the long tail feathers, or is that something that happens at a certain age/time of year?

From Wikipedia...

In several species of motmots, the barbs near the ends of the two longest (central) tail feathers are weak and fall off due to abrasion with substrates, or fall off during preening, leaving a length of bare shaft, thus creating the racket shape of the tail. It was however wrongly believed in the past that the motmot shaped its tail by plucking part of the feather web to leave the racket. This was based on inaccurate reports made by Charles William Beebe. It has since been shown that these barbs are weakly attached and fall off due to abrasion with substrates and during routine preening. There are however also several species where the tail is "normal", these being the tody motmot, blue-throated motmot, rufous-capped motmot, and the Amazonian populations of the rufous and broad-billed motmots.