Panama Fruit Feeder Cam

Discussion in 'The Meadow' started by Satira Capriccio, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

Most birds I see at the feeder don't have much problems sharing. They might grab the fruit from another, but they don't cause a scene over it. The Clay-colored Thrushes are the exception. The minute they arrive, the squabbling begins and never stops until they leave.

There is more than enough fruit for the Flame-rumped Tanagers, even if they voice off to each other a few times. But Clay-colored Thrushes show up and suddenly, there just isn't enough fruit. One Thrush tries to drive everyone away from fruit he isn't even eating.

2. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Yes, they're the ones I usually see fussing over other species being there. The attendant always puts out a nice amount of food, so why they can't just let the other birds be, I have no idea. I guess they just like to "rule the roost", as it were. ;)

3. Miss B

OK, just spotted this really colorful bird at at the Fruit Feeder, and don't recall if I've ever seen this species before.

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-23-19A.jpg

Uh oh, looks like a standoff in the making. ;)

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-23-19B.jpg

Chris likes this.
  4. Satira Capriccio

The Rufous Motmots are absolutely beautiful birds, especially with that fabulous tail. They will stand up to the Clay-colored Thrushes. Most birds I see hang back waiting for the Thrushes to leave, or bravely sneaking in to grab a bit of fruit.

5. Miss B

Ohhhh right! I should've recognized the tip of it's tail. Now I remember seeing it before.

6. Flint_Hawk

Flint_Hawk Noteworthy

Was any one else lucky enough to see all of the Collared Aracari at the feeder earlier this morning? I counted 8!

Collared Aracari .jpg

Chris likes this.
  7. Miss B

WOW, good catch Flint! I don't think I've ever seen so many at once. Then again, I'm rarely up "early" in the morning. ;)

8. Satira Capriccio

I've been so crazy busy because of work, that even when I'm home I don't tend to think about checking until it's dark!

Then, it's no fun.

9. Rowan54

Rowan54 Dragon Queen Contributing Artist

Someone was complaining that nothing is there in the dark? fruit feeder dark.JPG

10. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

Oh sweet!!! JACKPOT!!!!

Nice catch.

11. Flint_Hawk

Flint_Hawk Noteworthy

I just found that they have posted a clip of all of those Collared Aracari that I got to see-
    Cornell Lab Bird Cams

12. Miss B

OK, here's a species I don't think I've seen before.

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-30-19.jpg

Chris likes this.
  13. Flint_Hawk

Flint_Hawk Noteworthy

That's a Chestnut-headed Oropendola Miss B.

14. Miss B

Ohhh, thanks Flint. It has nice distinctive coloring, so I liked it right away.

15. Miss B

Well, I haven't been lucky lately, probably because I'm just not checking at the right time, but I finally was able to get a couple of screenshots a few minutes ago . . .

PanamaFruitFeeder-3-10-19A.jpg

and a slightly better one.

PanamaFruitFeeder-3-10-19B.jpg

Rowan54, DanaTA and Chris like this.
  16. Rowan54

Rowan54 Dragon Queen Contributing Artist

I saw that bird a couple days ago, but it didn't get where I could get a good screenshot of it.