• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Panama Fruit Feeder Cam

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Also, Cornell Bird Lab Cams on YouTube has a playlist of short videos featuring visitors to the Bird Feeder, including the Variegated and Red Tailed Squirrels, Opossums, Bats, and a Common Basilisk. There is also a video of a tree falling behind the feeder.

Panama Fruit Feeder Cam Playlist

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sweet looking birds here for sure. Way to save away and show what you've been able to catch.

Also probably a good idea not to suck up all this camera stuff on Ken's thread.

Will check it out in the morning to see things in color again.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Squirrels are back this morning
bird-feeder.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, first time I looked there was no food, and no "visitors", but then I went back about 15 mins. later, and there was a crowd munching on fresh bananas. There were six of these large birds at first, but it looks like 2 of them left.

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-5-19A.jpg

It also looks like there's some bananas hanging from a branch just left of the water feeder. Hmmmm, I wonder who's been munching on those.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, and now we have a standoff between one of the large birds (can't recall the species offhand), and a squirrel who, moments after I grabbed this screenshot, managed to make off with half a banana.

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-5-19B.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The big birds are the Grey-Headed Chachalacas which are usually found in groups. If one lands to feed, it's quickly followed by about a half dozen more.

I saw a couple of the Red-crowned Woodpeckers eating the hanging bananas, as well Palm Tanagers (those kinda look like a greyish olive-green). Crimson-backed Tanagers visited a number of times too. When I first started watching this morning, the only fruit was the hanging bananas, which were whole. As the morning went on, they got pretty hollowed out. They were replaced at one point, along with more bananas on the tray. That's when the Chachalacas arrived and pretty much devoured the bananas on the tray. They didn't leave much for anyone else!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Right! The Chachalacas, I just couldn't remember the name. This is the first time I saw more than 2 of them at the same time. The Palm Tanagers are the species I see most often, and they're usually in groups of 4 or more as well.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I see the clay-colored thrushes the most. You really can't miss them! They mob the food and each other trying to steal what another has.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I finally got to see the attendant placing out more food, taking away the empty banana peels, and changing the top log's direction. I always wondered about that, as I thought maybe they were replacing them, but he just turned it around so it looks different.

Anyway, there's a party going on at the feeder. ;)

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-6-19A.jpg

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-6-19B.jpg

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-6-19C.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well the squirrels and birds are getting along today. They're not chasing each other off the Fruit Feeder. ;)

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-10-19A.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well one of the squirrels left, and other birds have arrived. Ohhh, and I just noticed . . . they lifted the swinging vine the birds often jump on and swing back and forth for a while. Not a bad idea, as I often thought one of them was going to knock another bird in the head while swinging on it.

PanamaFruitFeeder-1-10-19B.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't think the birds spend much time at the feeder once it gets dark, so he probably has free rein this time of day, or night.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
There are at least two Common Opossum that visit (and squabble over the remains) at night. Rats will also visit, though I've yet to see one. I remember seeing Squirrels in black&white, but I don't remember whether that was only during the day when the camera was broken or also at night.

Panama Fruit Feeder Visitors

Unfortunately, butterflies may not always survive their visit to the feeder :(

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Everytime I look at the feeder I start to wonder, do the animals and birds get along better since food is so plentiful there?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Sometimes it looks that way, and sometimes I see the frequent visitor birds chasing off one of the other species as soon as they get there, so I guess it may be dependent on whether they've seen the other species often enough to know they aren't out to make trouble. ;)

That said, until a moment ago, there were no birds visiting, but plenty of food around. Now one of them is back and having a field day with all that food to himself (or herself). ;)