• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: HiveWire 3D to publish Animals through DAZ 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
SMSI has closed their Poser office in the US, fired every one, and opened a new one in Braga, Portugal. Since then I have seen programmer hiring ads, so they are getting their stuff together as we speak. It's important to realize that SMSI sells LOADS of other stuff - they are a software broker, where Poser is one of many other products they sell. I believe Poser doesn't even show at their web page. You have to seek deeper to find it.

SMSI sits proud claiming they don't make content, but as it comes down, they own Content Paradise, which has been neglected for years as many might have noticed. They profit from selling contents made by other people, and concentrate ONLY in making the software - which I think is where the problem is centered at. And the proof was their desperate attempt to come up with a usable figure with the release of Poser 11 earlier last year. They failed. So it's not that SMSI doesn't "want" to make contents - they lack the ability to do so.

Historically, it was up to DAZ to come up with the content, and Poser's rather delicate situation nowadays is a direct consequence of that. They never had to make content, and now they stand on thin ice because that's a treat that DAZ has been practicing and improving over for years, while they just dedicated themselves to the software. Either it was a lack of long-term vision as a company, or perhaps SMSI just sees Poser as yet another software they sell, one of many, and they have failed to understand the particulars of this rather unique market.

As we speak, Poser is being reborn in Portugal, and how it will proceed from this is yet to be seen. SMSI has been quiet about the whole thing, which in my personal opinion is a mistake, because it builds the pressure on people's insecurities about the future.

Interesting to hear that DAZ is interested in expanding their Poser base, after spending years of being actively hostile towards Poser users.

Personally, I do not believe that's their intention with this. All HW animals ship in both Poser and DS versions, and as far as I can see, they are only interested in the DS version, since they have a long history of distancing themselves from the Poser market as a whole. The fact that these HW products include a native Poser version is just an extra they can add to their ads. Poser users have little to seek for at DAZ, and that is not going to change. On the contrary, they keep adding more barriers against Poser compatibility with every new figure, where Genesis 8 has finally become utterly incompatible thanks to it's multiple joints per group - which makes it incompatible not only with Poser, but also with all previous DS versions, including earlier versions of DS 4.9.

For those still asking SMSI to add Genesis compatibility to Poser, please note they have already stated this will never happen, and not because this or that person doesn't want it. Genesis is not just a figure - each iteration is a "platform" that required drastic changes on DAZ Studio, to the point of becoming incompatible with all previous versions. These platforms are protected by copyright patents, and cannot be legally used anywhere, especially not in Poser.

SMSI, on the other hand, claims they have nothing to do with DAZ. They claim each are a different company, with their own interests and goals. They feel no obligation to follow up with every decision DAZ makes all the time, because, as a company, that doesn't even make sense. These are official statements. We just have to wait and see what are SMSI's plans for Poser. It's going to be an internal reborn, so it's an opportunity for fundamental things to change.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I took a look back in my archived email. The prices of the Big Cats at DAZ isn't identical to the price I paid here, but it's in the same general ball park. The base is a little cheaper, the panther add-on is a little more expensive. I bought the Cat on release, so I got the cub morph free when it came out, so I can't say one way or another on that. The Cougar is also a bit less expensive.

But of course there are no bonus points at DAZ.
ETA: I take that back. Owners of DAZ Big Cat2 get an extra 15% off. The orange banner showed up when I went over there.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I took a look back in my archived email. The prices of the Big Cats at DAZ isn't identical to the price I paid here, but it's in the same general ball park. The base is a little cheaper, the panther add-on is a little more expensive. I bought the Cat on release, so I got the cub morph free when it came out, so I can't say one way or another on that. The Cougar is also a bit less expensive.

But of course there are no bonus points at DAZ.
Yeah I also did a price comparison. The add on is a bit more than what I paid here, but the base is still within my price range and I like you got the cub free.

Not sure how if you are signed up for PC + how that is going to affect things with the monthly 6/7 dollar coupons, but still waiting to see what the stack value on the horse will be via Daz or if they are going to offer the stack which is different than the bundle method they use there.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Not at all certain. Since there is an existing slew of breed morphs for the horse they *might* decide to bundle them. They've certainly done bundles of PA content before (think 3DUniverse's Toon Generation 2), but then, the ones I can think of off the top of my head were all based on one or another version of Genesis, and these won't be.

Now, there are the old Dinoraul Dragon clutch bundles, but those are ancient, and I don't know whether anyone who was involved in those original offerings is even still there.

Still I tend to doubt that they will expect people to purchase every individual breed morph separately. But I can't think of which ones they would include in a bundle, and which ones they would offer as add-ons.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
The fact that these HW products include a native Poser version is just an extra they can add to their ads..

Whatever the motive, the fact that they wanted both DS & Poser versions is nice :)

but still waiting to see what the stack value on the horse will be via Daz or if they are going to offer the stack which is different than the bundle method they use there.

Gonna be awhile for the horse items - Laurie is redoing many to tweak mats & textures, and make sure there are Iray and Superfly material options. DAZ doesn't do stacks, and as to what bundles there may or may not be, I'm suspect that's something to be decided by Chris & Lisa down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.