• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need customer input on morphs (Polls)

I consider the following morphs essential to clothing I am willing to purchase:

• Creature morphs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I've found sometimes pull works better than loosen and vice versa. Restore to fix buttons and things is great, but then I usually have to pull them out to realign to the base fabric. There probably isn't a way to set that up as an option though I'm afraid. My big problems are almost always inner thighs where the mesh is so close poser gets confused, and of course the inevitable vacuum fitted breast morphs.

I've experimented with making an 'anticleavage' magnet to pull the fabric out between the breasts, and baking that into the various breast morph fits, but I almost always have to do more reshaping. On something like this dress with all those nice front wrinkle details I'd probably do all the breast morphs with magnets since it easier to control the deformation and get a nice shape across the span.

Brush presets is a great idea! Sometimes it saves the brush settings, and sometimes it doesn't, which can be frustrating. But then I've been having some random odd issues with preferences randomly resetting anyways.

A stupid thing that would be helpful .... a testing animation that dials up each morph and then turns it off so you can just scroll along the frames and fix each one as you go without hopping back and forth between the figure and the clothing every few seconds.

LM

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
This is true and the inner thigh problem, well vertices close on the x-axis, can be a problem even in a modeler if it gets confused. Not impossible to fix but far from a quick one :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
This is true and the inner thigh problem, well vertices close on the x-axis, can be a problem even in a modeler if it gets confused. Not impossible to fix but far from a quick one :)

Actually, I find the inner thighs on the Hivewire figures to be the least of my worries. Breast, shoulder and collar are the biggest issues in rigging if you ask me. Shoulders are certainly better than M4's balloons, but they still require finessing and cleaning up.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
For something like that, I would be prone to using the Restore brush rather than trying to push/pull with those "wrinkles" down the front of the dress.

So I just realize that I really need to take another look at the restore brush. I've sort of thought of it as an 'undo' brush for whatever I just did. Somehow it never really occurred to my brain that if I was copying morphs it would 'restore' back to before the copy to help with clean up. Thanks for mentioning this. Now I have a new little trick.

A stupid thing that would be helpful .... a testing animation that dials up each morph and then turns it off so you can just scroll along the frames and fix each one as you go without hopping back and forth between the figure and the clothing every few seconds.

When you say hopping between the figure and the clothing, do you mean to set the morph to different levels. I think (but could be wrong) that you could use some of the customer parameter palettes in Poser 11 to do this. But I have to admit, I've never really sat down to learn how to use that feature since it came out. I really should, probably once I learned it, it would save me loads of time.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
So I just realize that I really need to take another look at the restore brush. I've sort of thought of it as an 'undo' brush for whatever I just did. Somehow it never really occurred to my brain that if I was copying morphs it would 'restore' back to before the copy to help with clean up. Thanks for mentioning this. Now I have a new little trick.

Yeah, I fell in love with the Restore brush when rigging my overalls. The "hardware" on the straps distorted with morphs, and I could use the restore brush by material to bring them back to the way they were originally without distortion. Belt buckles, straps, knives, all that kind of stuff is well served with the Poser 11 Restore brush now.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
When you are testing morphs in poser you dial the morph on the figure. Switch to the clothing to make changes of needed. Then back to the figure, zero out the first dial and dial up the second one and back and forth for hours. V4 has something like 100 morphs ... it's just time consuming to check them all.

A short explanation of the morphbrush tools for people who have never touched them :)

Pull moves the vertices forward according to its normals
Push moves the vertice back according to its normals

BUT if you change the option to 'relative to screen' you can grab a section of mesh and move it any direction. Be careful with this! It is useful when the normals like on a belt with curved edges, cause the mesh to bloat if you use pull or loosen. This is a good tool for making movement morphs like hems up, swaying and so forth.

I've never used the droop one except on accident .. I think its supposed to act like gravity on the mesh? for making cloth drapes and things. I probably should try it out some

Flatten tries to flatten all the vertice based on I think the ones in the middle. I use a soft brush and scrub this around a bit to smooth out sharp creases that shouldnt be there like that underbust crinkle that always shows up.

Smooth relaxes and smoothes out the vertices, this can melt detail so be careful around areas where you need sharp definition. I use this a lot to clean up stretched mesh, since it evens out the spacing between vertices

Loosen and tighten are your best friends for making and adjusting morphs. You set the target, usually the base figure, and the tool moves the mesh out or in relative to the mesh underneath. This is very nice when making morphs to fit layered clothing, just set the collision to be the cloth item underneath so say a shirt to fit the jacket over it better.

And of course Restore , literally should be 'remove this morph'. Takes it back to having no morph changes at all. Like Glitterati said, very useful for things like straps and buckles.

I generally use the brushes set to strangth as low as .1 or .05 so I can sort of gently dab at it and move the mesh into the shape I want.

And then of course there is symmetry, zeroing out the morph but leaving the dial, copying it and splitting it into L and R all of which are handy

LM

The clothing morphs are the most important to me because if the clothing does not move correctly with the body I am usually disappointed and less likely to continue using the outfit. To be more specific the morphs for dresses and gowns are important to me. I hate having to hide body parts to get the clothing to fit right. I do not like having to constantly edit things to make them right either.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
In terms of the morphing brush, I found if I set the opposing thigh invisible, it no longer interfered with trying to loosen/tighten fit to the inner thighs.