• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I needed some food sources for Nightjars in my renders and one of the primary items on their diets are moths. To my surprise, there were no 3D moths available. Needless to say, I decided to create some. I expected to find plain, little gray winged creatures, but again to my surprise, I found winged creatures even more dazzling, more unique and numerous than butterflies.

There are approximately 160,000 different species of moth. I soon found myself sidetracked from the Nightjar meal quest and creating a set of 4 distinctive "giant" moths with 3 to 6 inch wingspans. The species selected for this initial set are the Luna Moth, the White-lined Sphinx Moth, the Cecropia Silk Moth and the Death's Head Hawkmoth. I'll also to be including an alternative scaled versions of the moths (that humans can ride) since I believe these will be popular for fantasy renders. This product will fit under my new "Nature's Wonders" line that will house my non-bird products (plants, insects, animals).

Baby Luna flies aboard one of my 4 new moths...

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The Death's Head Hawkmoth, is it the same moth as the one from Silence of the Lambs?

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Nature's Wonders Giant Moths Base Set is out... It includes 4 moths; the Cecropia Silk Moth, the Luna Moth, the White-lined Sphinx Moth and the Death's Head Hawkmoth. Here's a couple renders I did...

Luna Moths

The White-lined Sphinx Moth and Costa's Hummingbird feeding on my Hummingbird Sage model

The Death's head hawkmoth
has a wingspan of up to 130 mm (5.1 inches). The skull-like pattern on it's back has fostered superstitious fears of the supernatural and evil. The moths' sharp, mouse-like squeaking intensify this perception. It is nocturnal, and very fond of honey; they can mimic the scent of honey bees so that they can enter a hive unharmed to get honey. Their tongue, which is stout and very strong, enables them to pierce the wax cells and suck the honey out. This species occurs throughout almost the entire Oriental region, from India, Pakistan and Nepal to the Philippines, and from southern Japan and the southern Russian Far East to Indonesia, where it attacks colonies of several different honey bee species. It has recently become established on the Hawaiian Islands.

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
Actually, these pictures were ready to post when Ken's SBRM Frogmouths, Nightjars & Goatsuckers came out, but then I learned that Ken was planning to make Giant Moths. Knowing the excellent quality of his products, I held off posting these & the wait was worth it! Every part of these Giants Moths flexes & moves, even their wings! They are truly amazing!

These are the Cecropia Silk Moth & the Tawny Frogmouth.

Breakfast Is Served

Breakfast Is Served.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Actually, these pictures were ready to post when Ken's SBRM Frogmouths, Nightjars & Goatsuckers came out, but then I learned that Ken was planning to make Giant Moths. Knowing the excellent quality of his products, I held off posting these & the wait was worth it! Every part of these Giants Moths flexes & moves, even their wings! They are truly amazing!

Breakfast Is Served

View attachment 710
Great image Flinthawk :)

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
These moths are truly realistic! There's nothing else like them on the market! What a great addition to Ken's birds! They make renders come to life!

This is the Death's Head Hawkmoth, with the Short-tailed Frogmouth & also the Eurasian Wigeon.

On Golden Pond

On Golden Pond.jpg

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Holy Smokes. I step away from the forum for a very short time and come back to all this beauty!!

Ken, very cool product and lovely images! And Flint, gorgeous images as always!!

Look forward to part 2 :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to agree Alisa, these are a great addition to Ken's wonderful products, and Flint . . . what can I say? Wonderful renders as always!! :)

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I really am curious if the death's head hawkmoth is the same moth mentioned in Silence of the Lambs, which is how Clarisse finally tracked down the kidnapper and killer.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It is!

upload_2015-12-22_17-12-46.png

These moths are incredible. I saw them in the store last night (or maybe it was in the wee hours of the morning).

I have always loved moths. As a child i captured them, I am sure to their detriment but they are big and exciting and very cool

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
These really are cool moths. Though thanks to marketing I look at the Luna moth and think of Lunesta, the prescription level sleep aid. :rolleyes:

The movie really did cause me to pay a bit more attention to the moths I see, though sadly most I see are quite plain, now and then I do see some that are as lovely as their relations the butterfly.

Now, with the large moths in this set, we can actually have a whole new set of nightmares! :D Or a ride for one of our pixies or other fairies.