• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Music From The Hive

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
But I do have others that are big for me, and have meant so much over the vastness of time. Does that make me seem old enough?

As has been mentioned... Floyd is up there. In fact, Pink Floyd is among my top 5 bands.

My older brothers and I took a road trip last year from Utah to the Hollywood bowl in Cali to see David Gilmour. What a magical epic experience that was!!!

View attachment 28685

Not that old Chris. In fact young whippersnapper springs to mind! I freely admit, around frequently do, that Floyd is up there with the gods in my book. They were the very first band I saw live in 1968 at Gorleston Floral Hall, near Yarmouth. In fact, we had a beer with Dave and Nick during the interval. Ah! Days of innocence! A couple of years later we would have had security playing 'let's see how far we can throw the loony!'

AC/DC. Probably the greatest pure rock band ever! There's rock, then there's ROCK and then there's AC/DC! As Terry Pratchett said, "Music with rocks in". Big ones!

Led Zepplin. I dare anyone to tell me that Kashmir isn't one of the worlds greatest anthems! It leaves me buzzing every time I hear it!

For those Tori Amos fans out there, you may like to know (or may already know) that the lovely lady has a new album out on the 8th September called Native Invader to coincide with her world tour of the same name. If you're a fan, buy it or better still, try to get to one of her gigs. They really are an amazing experience! :bee:

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Maybe it's just me getting old and grumpy, not being able to adapt to modern standards? Or is it something else?

An interesting take at what's happened in music trends...

---

One of my favorite singer/songwriter has a song about growing older, getting grumpier and changes in our behavior.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Nice one Ken! It's hardly surprising that bands like the Beatles and Pink Floyd are still the biggest selling artists in the world, but sad to think that they will disappear beneath a swarm of clones with a mental age of twelve years because a few people believe money is far more important than personal choice. :applause:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's funny my parents told me they couldn't stand the music from MY generation (the 70s and 80s), while I now say the same about the music from the next generation. It's easy to simply jump to the conclusion that this is a natural succession, when in reality the motivations behind it are totally artificial.

Zaarin

Brilliant
It's funny my parents told me they couldn't stand the music from MY generation (the 70s and 80s), while I now say the same about the music from the next generation. It's easy to simply jump to the conclusion that this is a natural succession, when in reality the motivations behind it are totally artificial.
It's nothing new, though. There's a tenth century Chinese text complaining about those young kids and their music with untraditional rhythms! :roflmao: Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.

For my part, though, I'm twenty-seven and will wholeheartedly agree that modern pop music sucks. Then again, I don't understand the appeal of the Beatles, either, who are essentially a proto-boy band with drug-addled lyrics, so... :whistling: When it comes to music, I'm a total hipster: indie folk is where it's at. :coffee:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am perfectly Ok with untraditional and even the exotic, but what is happening now is something else.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I think it’s a matter of perspective Zaarin. At that period in time (late 50’s/early 60’s) the charts, and its chart music we’re discussing here which is a totally different thing from music in general, were filled with mainly balladeers like Pat Boone, Ricky Nelson, etc and their clones in the UK like Cliff Richards, Shane Fenton and such, because that’s what sold to the teen crowd and music producers pushed it for all it was worth at the expense of other music. In other words, pretty much as it is now. Elsewhere in the music scene, there were already stirrings of discontent from the likes of Pretty Things, the Stones, and others which were largely followed by a small, but loyal band of fans. The Beatles arrived in the midst of this after a long apprenticeship in Hamburg and the Cavern with a sound that was totally different from anything then current on the market. Not only different but accessible to a wider range of people than the pretty-much fixed markets of the day. That was their appeal. Their music spoke not just to the teens, the jazz fans, the blues or folkies, but to everybody. Like them or loathe them you have to admit that they broke out of the mold and sent music around the world on a rocket ride that is still ongoing today despite the best efforts of certain music producers to deny it! Regards!

Zaarin

Brilliant
I am perfectly Ok with untraditional and even the exotic, but what is happening now is something else.
Tradition was (is) kind of a big deal in China. ;)

I think it’s a matter of perspective Zaarin. At that period in time (late 50’s/early 60’s) the charts, and its chart music we’re discussing here which is a totally different thing from music in general, were filled with mainly balladeers like Pat Boone, Ricky Nelson, etc and their clones in the UK like Cliff Richards, Shane Fenton and such, because that’s what sold to the teen crowd and music producers pushed it for all it was worth at the expense of other music. In other words, pretty much as it is now. Elsewhere in the music scene, there were already stirrings of discontent from the likes of Pretty Things, the Stones, and others which were largely followed by a small, but loyal band of fans. The Beatles arrived in the midst of this after a long apprenticeship in Hamburg and the Cavern with a sound that was totally different from anything then current on the market. Not only different but accessible to a wider range of people than the pretty-much fixed markets of the day. That was their appeal. Their music spoke not just to the teens, the jazz fans, the blues or folkies, but to everybody. Like them or loathe them you have to admit that they broke out of the mold and sent music around the world on a rocket ride that is still ongoing today despite the best efforts of certain music producers to deny it! Regards!
That make sense. Though worded like that, it sort of sounds like modern pop music is their fault. :p (TBF, even to my hipster-esque sensibilities, it's not all bad. I rather like Coldplay and One Republic, for example.)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For once, the Beatles have debunked even Elvis - by then the "King of Rock", which was unthinkable at that time. They shook the entire planet and changed everything in a very short time. All of the sudden, entire music styles have fallen, and became commercially unviable overnight. That doesn't happen everyday, and may not happen again in our lifetime.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Yeah! I suppose in a way it was partly their fault though now much degraded and sterilised. In many ways, they still have an influence on musical style. Coldplay, I believe, name them as one of their influences amongst many others. At least they did instigate a great sea change in the way music developed. In the early days, I can think of The Byrds, who started life as a Beatles clone band before they broke away from record company influence to follow their own path, as did the Monkees to a much lesser degree. Perhaps today, as far as chart music is concerned, that influence is negligible, but that's down to a few record producers who put money before personal choice by keeping a tight grip on what they want us to hear. To a large degree music, like history tends to cycles. At that time the Beatles were the ones who broke out. Bill Hayley & the Comets and Elvis Presley (in his early years) spring readily to mind as other key factors. You only have to look at the wide spread of musical tastes in this thread to see that innovation is still alive and kicking outside of the little clique of chart movers and shakers. As Ken said, that doesn't happen every day, and may not happen again in our lifetime, at least as far as we oldies (sic) are concerned. But happen it will!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I know some of y0u might not agree with me, but I believe the BeeGees have also broken the music mold and came up with their own unique style. They might had been a hit even nowadays if they haven't split. But if you are not old enough, some of you might even be asking Bee-who? LOL

The same goes for Jim Croce - country music might had been completely different nowadays if Jim haven't died in that airplane accident. Here's my one of my favorite songs from him: Time in a Bottle (1973).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't think the BeeGees really split, unfortunately nearly all the brothers have passed :(

I like that song Ken, I just didn't know who sang it.

And talking about Country, I like Keith's voice, but prefer him singing other peoples songs :p

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Nice one! That's why I love music Rae. Just when you think you've heard it all something comes along and knocks you back into your seat and says think again!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
And before the disco era, the BeeGees were.... imitating the Beatles, which according to Barry Gibb himself, is what everybody else were doing in that time. But the amazing part is how they broke out of that mold and came up with a whole new style that, like the Beatles, is also timeless.