• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Morning Soul for Dawn

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Alright, everybody. I need to apologize for this. It looks like this package is going to end up being DS-only, due to how Poser handles (or doesn't handle at all) the morphs dials and my disabling the limits on those dials. Too many of the morph dials inside of Poser simply don't do anything at all to the mesh when I turn off the limits. They spin just fine, but they don't affect the mesh at all, once they are turned outside of their default range.

This is a problem, because a lot of these shapes are achieved by my doing just that. Disabling the limits on the morph dials in DS, and deliberately spinning them outside of the default range. In at least four cases, the body shapes are too drastically different between Poser and DS due to Poser's refusal to apply the morph values to the mesh, even after disabling limits.

I'm not sure what else I can do with it. What I will do, is at some point down the line, I'll make a package of this type for the Poser side. It won't be the exact same shapes, but I'll try to get a similar feel to them for you. If I build those shapes strictly within Poser, instead of trying to convert the DS ones over, then I don't have to worry about which dials will function with limits off during a conversion and which ones won't...

Sorry. I really wanted to cross platform this package. But there's just too many dials that refuse to behave on the Poser side, and at this point, I am out of patience with it, AND out of ideas.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Not a problem Seliah, I'm sure you did your best, and I'll gladly wait until you create a Poser set down the road. ;)

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
:yeahthat:

And may I add that I have to practice using Daz anyway so why not while using one of your gorgeous characters

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Alright, everybody. I need to apologize for this. It looks like this package is going to end up being DS-only, due to how Poser handles (or doesn't handle at all) the morphs dials and my disabling the limits on those dials. Too many of the morph dials inside of Poser simply don't do anything at all to the mesh when I turn off the limits. They spin just fine, but they don't affect the mesh at all, once they are turned outside of their default range.

That's interesting, in that I feel like I constantly 'blow out' morphs in Poser by pushing them further than they were meant to go. But, I can actually think of several things that could prevent that, which would be hard to overcome on a dial spun morph set. It's too bad they won't be available for Poser, but I certainly understand if the program just won't play nice with you.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks for being understanding, guys. I'm sorry - but I do appreciate your understanding as well.

---------------

@Gadget Girl --

If you happen to know what can cause it, I'd love an explanation? Maybe if I understood what causes the dials to lock like this, I might be able to finnagle and push my way around it? (I'm mostly kidding...somewhat...) LOL :D

In all seriousness though. I blow out dials constantly. I have to, especially with the HiveWire figures. The dials are just too narrow, the range is too small to suit my needs on posing or character building. Period, end of story on that one.

Where the problem happened here, is... we'll take Annika's morph for instance - I ran across two face morphs that on the Poser side, once I disabled/turned off the limits, the morphs still flatly refused to function outside of their default/original range. It was only those two, and it didn't affect her face too much, so I let it pass. But when I got to her body shape, it was severe. I ran across at least a half dozen body morphs with this same problem.

I do know how to disable/turn off limits on the dials in Poser. Been doing that since Poser 4's days. LOL But I'm at a loss for how to get around it when morph dials still don't have ANY effect outside of their original range. It's like they don't behave as though the limits have been disabled, even though I've disabled the limits.

Unfortunately, in the case of my morph/shape presets... this becomes a pretty big problem once you start stacking up morph after morph that does this.

I'm using Poser 11 Pro these days... I don't have any other version installed, so I can't test it to see if it's specific to just PP11 or not.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
by 'blowing out dials' might you mean taking any limits off? I OFTEN will double click a dial (in poser) and UNCHECK the 'force limits'.... this lets the dials go to any number I want...and IF the morph goes both ways, I'm in luck (like with limb/body part movement)... but if it's say, and expression dial Chris has created, it may only go one way and no further as the morph itself does not do anything in the negative, or further in the positive.

I have to admit I'm sad... I REALLY loved your character... but too, I DO understand... Hugs!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
...and IF the morph goes both ways, I'm in luck (like with limb/body part movement)... but if it's say, and expression dial Chris has created, it may only go one way and no further as the morph itself does not do anything in the negative...

This is exactly the difference between Poser and DS right now. It's not expression morphs in this case, these are face and body morphs for sculpting/shaping Dawn. In DS I can disable limits, and they will spin as far as I want in either direction, regardless of the morph's original or intended range. That is what Poser does NOT do with some of the body/face morphs, and unfortunately, it's making it quite impossible to convert quite a few of these.

If it's at all any consolation, Lyne, I will do a separate package of the same type of item for the Poser folks. I figure if I spin up the shapes natively inside of DS, I don't run the risk of things refusing to convert over. :)

Sorry!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
If you happen to know what can cause it, I'd love an explanation? Maybe if I understood what causes the dials to lock like this, I might be able to finnagle and push my way around it? (I'm mostly kidding...somewhat...) LOL :D

Actually from what you said afterwards I may not have as much of an explanation as I thought. I was thinking the problem had to do with saving them once you had gone past what the dial normally does.

I know you use the Head Resources kit a lot (at least I think I remember you mentioning that). Do you know of a morph there that won't push further than the limits? That way I can try and mimic it. I went in just now and tried a couple morphs there and I was able to increase the limits and still have them go through.

Or is it character morphs that do this to you, like the Annika morphs you mentioned? If so here's what I think might be happening. If that character morph is also largely built on spinning dials, in Poser you set what the values of the dials will be at different intervals. So you set the value at 0.0, and the value at 1.0 etc. Poser will fill in the middle there, but you can also change it from being a smooth line to having different values along the way. Usually not needed with a figure morph, but with clothing you sometimes need to do this.

The thing is, if the person who created the morph didn't program the dial beyond the value of 1.0 it looks like maybe Poser doesn't just keep extrapolating out what the value of say 2.0 would be. So you would probably need to figure out what dials the character was using and then increase those manually, and not be able to use the master dial for the character.

Does that make sense?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
@Seliah, did you try changing the settings when you disabled the limits?
When I made the morphs for my creatures sets (stll a WIP) I went beyond the limits in Poser.
But they would not transfer right even when saved as an obj and imported in Morph Loader.
So I just went into DS, recreated them there and exported the obj for Poser.
Then I found they did not work at all until I changed the morph dial settings.
I left the min -0. alone but had to change the max to 3.
Then everything worked.
Here is the settings I'm referring to...
Psr Dail Settings.jpg

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
@Gadget Girl - All these shapes are dial spins. Not a single morph. Just a preset that sets the morph dials on Dawn to correct values. I'll dig up a couple of the problem morphs for you once I'm on the pc.

@Faery_Light - Yes, I've done that. It makes no difference...

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Odd that it behaves that way.
But I do have one face morph that does me the same in Poser and I don't know why.
It was created in DS too and I did all the steps to export it.
Wish I could help but that was all I had that worked on my one set.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
@Faery_Light -- No worries. I appreciate you trying to help.

What's really confusing is it only does this with some of the morphs, but not all. So some of them, I can disable the limits ( always adjust the max/min values when I do this), and it will work fine. And then other morphs, I do that and they just still don't function outside of their original/default range.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I will do a separate package of the same type of item for the Poser folks. I figure if I spin up the shapes natively inside of DS, I don't run the risk of things refusing to convert over. :)

I assume you meant spin the dials in POSER, to do a poser version "from scratch" with dials IN it for us Poser folks... if so, YAY! :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay, so... it remains to be seen whether or not I will call the Poser version by the same name as the DS version, but I have begun working on morphs on the Poser side.

This one is Jocelyn (wearing Aether's "Sinead" skin) :

Jocelyn-03.png

Jocelyn-04.png

Jocelyn-05.png

P.S. -- Does anyone know why Dawn's shoulders do that funky sharp point/edges thing in the renders? (Most noticeable in this last one on the shoulder.)

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Nice Seliah!

I don't know why its doing that, but I've had something similar on a different model and someone said to add SubD and that seemed to work.