• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Morning Soul for Dawn

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Seliah, okay then what makes them any different to any other morph? Because you can do that with the head shapes and body shapes that were originally released...
Okay...went and had a look on the shop page at Dusk resource kit made by Chris. This is what it says.

• This is a Merchant Resource Kit
    • These morphs can be combined and/or used with your own morphs or be taken into your modeling program to create your own custom faces for Dusk.
    • This license does not allow for the creation of freebies with these morphs.
    • Your final character morphs are yours to sell or use commercially.
    • You may use these morphs for your personal commercial and non-commercial rendered artwork.
    • You can NOT combine these morphs with other morphs (unless they are also merchant resources or your own morphs) in a commercial product.
    • You must create your morphs in such a way that the original morph target can not be extracted from the character you create.
    • You can not spawn one of these morphs as an individual morph which would allow someone to change the parameter value of the morph to re-create the original morph.
  • Limits are set in negative ranges as long as they do not break the mesh.
  • These morphs DO NOT support the large eyelashes.
  • These Morphs DO NOT support eyes closed.
I've highlight the bits that I think are important here by changing the colour.

This sounds like you can combine the morphs from this set send them to a modelling program and then reimport them as a single dial.

As you have also used other sets you would need to create a morph from the MR kit and then use a shape preset to create the full character. At least that's the way I'm reading it. If it was me I would pm Chris and ask him directly to clarify. It may reduce the items required list.

Edited to add the info from Paul's kit for Dawn...
  • This is a Merchant Resource Kit
    • These morphs can be combined and/or used with your own morphs or be taken into your modeling program to create your own custom faces for Dawn.
    • You can NOT use other 3rd party morphs in combination with these morphs, unless they are also a merchant resource, and/or you created or own the rights to redistribute them.
    • You can not spawn one of these morphs as an individual morph which would allow someone to change the parameter value of the morph to re-create the original morph.
    • Your final character morphs are yours to sell or use commercially as long as the original morphs can NOT be extracted from your product.
    • This license does not allow for the creation of freebies with these morphs.
Not exactly the same but very similar.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
It seems as if the big question is, are the morphs dial spins only, or have you added anything customer of your own. If you've customized something beyond combining all the morphs then you would be able to mix the Head Resource kit in with that, and make it your own morph, and it then not require customers to have it. Otherwise, you would have to require the customer to have those packages.

I think there is something else to consider here, because I think these are beautiful character morphs. Like the other people here, as a content creator, I've gone ahead and gotten all those packs. Obviously not all customers will have done so. But here's the big thing. It does take more work (sometimes a lot more) to make something ready for sale as opposed to for your own use. I think the real question to ask yourself is are you enjoying doing that extra work enough that if you only sell a small number of these you're okay with that. Part of the thrill of creating is seeing others use your stuff (at least for me).

Also looking at the list of required stuff I think it's fair to assume that most (although not all) people will have Dawn SE and the Starter Morphs. As you said, I think people will know if they don't have Body Shapes they will know they can't use the body shapes dials (not that you won't need to put that in your documentation), but part of the appeal of these morphs in they are not standard super model women, so the people who are likely to want to buy it, probably have Body Shapes so that all their characters don't look alike in terms of figure.

As for Diva, if you do require it, I feel like you would then need to show 'Diva'/child versions of these characters, because people who have Diva, are going to want to know/see what those versions look like.

Hope that helps.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the feedback. Just to let folks know - I'm not ignoring you. Promise. :) Been fussing with these a bit more, and thinking some things over.

Nataani required the starter morphs, head shapes, body shapes, AND the resource kit. It's looking like these will be the same with that. There is too much difference in their faces when I dial out the morphs from the resource kit.

As far as sales vs. keeping the morph pack in. I know there was a brief discussion about this extra kit back when I made Nataani, and my feelings haven't really changed too much on that since then. Not everyone will have the extra morph pack... yes, it will cost me sales, but on the flip side, I think if someone really wants the specific shape or shapes, they might go fetch the morph kit to use that.

Not all the faces need that kit, so there's that to consider as well. But many do use it, and there are drastic differences when dialing the resource kit morphs out.

To address the copyright thing :

It seems as if the big question is, are the morphs dial spins only, or have you added anything customer of your own. If you've customized something beyond combining all the morphs then you would be able to mix the Head Resource kit in with that, and make it your own morph, and it then not require customers to have it. Otherwise, you would have to require the customer to have those packages.

That right there, is why Nataani's package required the resource morph kit, and it's exactly why these would also. All I'm doing here are dial spins. I'm not modeling anything in blender. I'm just making the dials do what I want them to do inside of DS. So as far as I know, I can't spawn a separate morph dial with these, because all I'm doing is turning dials and combining them to make Dawn's mesh do what I want it to do.

As you have also used other sets you would need to create a morph from the MR kit and then use a shape preset to create the full character. At least that's the way I'm reading it. If it was me I would pm Chris and ask him directly to clarify. It may reduce the items required list.

I may PM him when I get closer to Beta with this. But honestly, I had to require the Dusk resource kit when I released Nataani, because all I did there was spin the dials. This is the same thing here. I'm just spinning dials. I'm not taking Dawn into Blender for additional modeling on the mesh. Just turning dials in the right combinations to get what I want in the faces.

I've dialed out the Diva morphs from the faces. Those are easy enough to weed out, and compensate for not being present. But the resource kit I just can't work without - not on Dusk, and not on Dawn, apparently.

I think the real question to ask yourself is are you enjoying doing that extra work enough that if you only sell a small number of these you're okay with that. Part of the thrill of creating is seeing others use your stuff (at least for me).

Yeah. I don't mind it, because I actually enjoy the dial turning. And I'm not paying my bills on my 3D income, so it's not imperative for me to grab "every sale possible" with what I put out. I do this because I enjoy it, and because I like filling content gaps. LOL And I do it because from my years making freebies, folks seem to generally like what I put out. I'm not in this to make tons of money. If that's what I was doing, I would be making Genesis 3 stuff, and I would be working at Daz, not here. ;)

In the long run, I know it will cost some sales having the extra resource kit morphs as a requirement. But I think I would end up scrapping about half these faces and making new ones if I was trying to avoid using those morphs, as the differences are too much with and without those morphs. I will contact Chris later down the line, but I don't think I can spawn a morph from just a collection of dial turns. I really don't think that's legal. But I'll check with Chris to be sure, when this is closer to going to Beta.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
but I don't think I can spawn a morph from just a collection of dial turns. I really don't think that's legal.
It really worth checking. For example, some MR on RDNA had license along the lines as long there are more than one morph from the pack mixed you can spawn it as yours i.e as long as pure base morph can't be extracted.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It really worth checking. For example, some MR on RDNA had license along the lines as long there are more than one morph from the pack mixed you can spawn it as yours i.e as long as pure base morph can't be extracted.

Yes, I will ask him about it directly when I get a little further in on this particular project. Thanks. :)

I couldn't live without the Head & Body morphs!

I can't, either! LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So, while the Overalls are going through QA, I've gotten back to work on this set again. And I thought I'd share a few more previews of what's coming here. At the moment, these presets are still 100% inside of Daz Studio. I'll take another gander at conversion on the Poser side once I have the full dozen done. I am just most comfy inside of DS, so I always do the first version in there.

Anyway. As I said before - there will be a total of 12 shape presets here. Those will be broken down into full, body-only, and head-only, so there will be plenty of opportunity for people to mix and match as they need to. I've gotten Diva's morphs out of the one or two that had them before.

Here's a few previews of some of the more recent shapes. Images are inserted as thumbnails; click to enlarge.

Annika :

Annika 01.png Annika 02.png

Jackie :

Jackie01.png Jackie 04.png

Michelle :

Michelle 03.png Michelle 02.png

Nikki :

Nikki 02.png Nikki 01.png

Norma Jean, Tanya, Luanne, Scarlet, Sonja, and Calleigh are in my gallery here. Some of the earlier gals can be seen on the first page of the thread, too. I will be working up the last two today, and then approaching the idea of getting them converted into Poser format. I'd like to be able to release both DS and Poser versions at the same time on this one, and will be aiming to do the same thing with the Dusk package as well.

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
She looks just like a girl I went to Beauty School with!

Thanks, I think! LOL

The skin is 3Dream's latest resource... I think it's #15 for Dawn. I will probably be building a full character off of it later, but for Tamika, I just plopped the resource maps onto her to get a quickie render of her face and body shape.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It is a compliment, she was/is very pretty. She was even darker than Tamika, though, but the facial structure is what struck me, right off.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It is a compliment, she was/is very pretty. She was even darker than Tamika, though, but the facial structure is what struck me, right off.

That means I did something right. :) Yes, I based her facial structure off of my sister-in-law's bone structure, just a little bit. And then I sort of just adjusted it here and there from that point. I will probably do the remaining morph as African as well, as there are more than enough shades of white and tans at the moment in this package right now.

She's looking good Seliah. :)

Thanks, Miss B. ^_^

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So, this was today's work. This one would be Karysha. I still have a couple more dial spins saved in my various files, but I think 12 is good for this bunch, so I'm going to leave it at these 12.

Sariyah 01.png Sariyah 02.png

I'll get things moving on the Poser side hopefully tonight or tomorrow.