• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Moose and Squirrel

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Just want a very simple working, and looking piece of cloth as reins. I can see several fanciful colors, textures, and patterns working here.
Hmmmm, don't think I've ever seen, or even visualized, a moose with reins, or even someone riding one for that matter.

Nice work as usual Chris. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I am really looking forward to this one! I have AM's moose (and I love him, too!) but the more the merrier in my book, and I am going to be very eager to get my grubby paws on this big guy. :D

(And I'm sure this won't come as a surprise - but I'm definitely hoping for an Elk down the road at some point, too!)

The reins are interesting. There is a bit of a colorful history of humans attempting to domesticate moose. :roflmao: The link goes to an Anchorage, Alaska article. I've also seen bits of them up in the Adirondacks here. There are some.. interesting arrangements at times, depending on what part of the mountains you live in. In certain areas, humans just stay out of the way around dusk and dawn and let the moose have right of way - especially in the fall during the rut when the bulls are out looking for cows and can be aggressive. LOL

And then of course, there is Canada and their tenacity for their environment and what it throws at them. There have, of course been more attempts to domesticate some up north as well.

Alberta, 1898 - in team for pulling.
Skaguay, Alaska - again, for pulling
Newfoundland - saddles and for riding

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Here's one of Teddy Roosevelt riding one in Yellowstone.

teddy-roosevelt-riding-moose_1529324612146.jpg

Willowisp

Adventurous
Awesome! We have plenty of them here, and while mostly not a problem, they can occasionally get bothersome. (We got a moose on our porch one day, staring in through the living-room window)

Interesting tidbit: In Norway, it is actually illegal to ride a moose. This law is ancient, and no one has bothered doing anything about it. The reason is this: Back in the days of horse and carriage, criminals would raise moose and use them as their get-away. While a horse is of course faster on a road, a moose will beat it easily on uneven terrain and thick vegetation. So basically, thieves would get on their moose and leg it into the forest, and the police, on their horses, couldn't follow!

TaishoBee

Adventurous
I wonder if the Alaska State Troopers would mind if you tried to use a Moose as a means of transportation. LOL

Harimau

Eager
Suggestions for inclusion to the Squirrel Morphs - Giant Asian Squirrels. They are among the biggest and in my opinion the most impressive squirrels in the world. The biggest squirrel though is the Red and White Giant Flying Squirrel.

The Giant Asian Squirrels includes:

1. The black giant squirrel or Malayan giant squirrel (Ratufa bicolor)

Ratufa_bicolor_6237_small.jpg

2. The Indian giant squirrel or Malabar giant squirrel (Ratufa indica)

Ratufa_indica_(Bhadra,_2006)_small.jpg

The red and white giant flying squirrel (Petaurista alborufus)

1. Resting

Petaurista alborufus.jpg

2. In flight

Red_and_White_Giant_Flying_Squirrel.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Here's a couple of close ups of Mr. 50/50... or Moory.

View attachment 38610 View attachment 38611
Hmmm, if we could still keep the horsy nostrils then he'd make a good draft mule :D

no mooses in Australia either...

but we have Wombats! :flower02:
maybe one day the "god of 3D creation" AKA Chris might make you one LOL

we don't have squirrels in Oz either but we do have possums :wow:
and really cute ones too! (not those scary ones USA has hahaha)

Willowisp

Adventurous
Those hooves are way too small - unless American moose have more dainty feet than Scandinavians..

Random image of Norwegian moose I found online (big, so only thumbnail)
Elg1.jpg

Edit: actually, the legs in general look very weird, much too short for one. Moose are mostly legs! But I don't know if that would be down to continental differences or not