• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LAMH Presets for the Hivewire3D House Cat

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I was wondering if the render engine was handling light transmission differently between the ground plane and the rest of the background. It looks as if the cutoff point for full transparency is different. Perhaps place planes vertically to provide a solid background, see what that does on the fur?

Anki

Inspired
For some reason, putting anything behind it thins out the hair.
cat test 04 thick.jpg
cat test 04 thin.jpg

I guess I can just repair it in photoshop by rendering one with background and one without, and just combine the two.
Here's the result :
cat-test-05b-web.gif

Agent-0013

Inspired
One more question: I just grabbed the free Hivewire House Cat LAMH Presets. I unzipped the first one to have a look at how it is packaged. I found three presets which are not in a special folder. So how and where in my DS directory do I install the files?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
You don't you use the LAMH UI to attach the hair, click the button and browse to where you unzipped it on your computer.

L'Adair

Enthusiast
Hi, Agent. :flower00:

Products from AM will store presets in your Documents folder: C:\Users\[username]\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\lookatmyhairAM\presets. I just set up my own folder named LAMH where it's easy for me to find. Then using the LAMH plugin, I browse to that folder to find all my presets.

If you need any help with this, feel free to PM me.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
One more question: I just grabbed the free Hivewire House Cat LAMH Presets. I unzipped the first one to have a look at how it is packaged. I found three presets which are not in a special folder. So how and where in my DS directory do I install the files?

From the ReadMe files (we really DO put useful info in these at HiveWire ;)):

Installation Instructions:
Place the files anywhere you like - remember where they are. Instructions below!

and/or

Where I can find this product in DAZ Studio:
Place the files anywhere you like - remember where they are. Instructions below!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I second Alisa's post- def. worth the time to read the ReadMes for ANY of the LAMH presets for for HW animals. They do contain vital information to make them work correctly. The LAMH presets here work a little differently than ones used in AM products (where they are already part of his products.)

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I'm assuming that LAMH Presets will assume the underlying texture pattern of the figure it is applied to. Is this correct?

Correct :)

Laurie (CWRW) and Sayoness have very good instructions in the (you guessed it) ReadMe files for the LAMH products.

And, welcome to the Hive!!

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
LOL, Laurie - clearly our minds are in sync!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have a folder under my daz content folder, Presets/LAMH Presets. But the interface from LAMH always opens the C drive folder first. Does anyone know a way to change that?

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I have a folder under my daz content folder, Presets/LAMH Presets. But the interface from LAMH always opens the C drive folder first. Does anyone know a way to change that?
I used to have mine on an external drive instead of on my C:\ drive. So it can be done. I moved all the lamh folder/files to where I wanted them, then when I attached a preset, I just browsed to the folder where I moved it instead of the normal one. Then my geometry files seemed to somehow went there too. I've just forgotten the actual steps though. Maybe Laurie knows? Or another lamh guru?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the answer Sapat...sometimes it a setting somewhere that needs changing...hopefully someone will know.

Agent-0013

Inspired
To all telling me to read the readme: I am always reading the readme for any product that includes one. In the readme for the product pack in question, perhaps there were instructions; however, my mind works differently from most. Not that that is a problem for others, but it does affect how I understand certain things. When one is used to doing things a certain way, a difference without stating there is one can be confusing for me. Yes the instructions are fairly clear, but not having a dedicated content folder to install to DAZ Studio itself threw me, especially since there was no indication that such was not required to make the files work properly.

Please understand that I am not calling anybody out on this; only that i am explaining why I asked my questions. One never learns if one does not ask.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hey, Agent - there's never any problem with asking a question here, whether it's written somewhere else or not - you're so right that one never learns if they don't ask, and we're glad you did - don't hesitate to do so.

I know you're not calling anyone (ie me, lol) out, but I want to be sure no one interprets my mentioning that the info is in the ReadMe as chiding you. Most people do NOT read the ReadMe files, so you're unusual ;), and many ReadMe files are only a list of what's in the product, without information in them - we try to think of what things the customer needs to know and make sure it's written down. It's perfectly understandable that instructions given aren't always clear to everyone, as we DO understand things differently than others sometimes!

Hope to see what you end up rendering!

And by the way, welcome to the Hive :)