• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ken Gilliland's Products In Renders

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Those look like Superfly artifacts. Superfly (more so), Iray (less so) and other physically renderers don't like closely placed transparency planes. One solution is to add a little more "fluff" which raises lifts the close planes a little more which tends to make the artifacts going away. The other solution in Superfly is to change the renderer settings. You can also increase the max and min transparency bounces in the superfly render settings to get rid of those artifacts. It increases render times but also increases realism to have those fluff planes.

Deathbycanon

Inspired
Thanks Ken, the fluffing took care of most of it. I use daz - iray, I don't care for poser. Mostly because I only have poser 11 (not the pro version) so I have to render on CPU only because GPU is not an option unless you have the pro version, so it takes FOREVER and I can't do anything else on the machine without crashing it. Also the lack of file consistency as far as organization goes between vendors makes me crazy. It always makes me laugh when poser people say they can't find anything in daz..... having started in daz, I can't find anything in poser. lol

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks Ken, the fluffing took care of most of it. I use daz - iray, I don't care for poser. Mostly because I only have poser 11 (not the pro version) so I have to render on CPU only because GPU is not an option unless you have the pro version, so it takes FOREVER and I can't do anything else on the machine without crashing it.
Actually, there is no Standard "and" Pro versions of Poser 11. It's only the Pro version, so if you had issues with using your GPU for rendering, it may have been the type of GPU card you have on your computer.

I had the same issue when I purchased my current laptop in November 2019, as the GPU on this laptop is a newer series, which at the time, Poser 11 didn't recognize. Then with newer versions of Poser 11, the newer GPU cards were recognized, so I have no issues rendering with my GPU and Poser 11. The Poser dev team is still working on getting even newer GPU cards recognized for Poser 12, so it's an ongoing process.

Deathbycanon

Inspired
this is Poser 11 this is Poser Pro 11

In Poser 11 the option to render in GPU is greyed out. You can not click it, and when I asked at the poser forums, at poser not at renderosity, I was told that it was because it was not the pro version.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
SM did have 2 versions of P11, when Rendo bought it out they dropped the normal one and made the pro the normal. I can't remember exactly but they told people to "upgrade" to the new version but I can't remember if it was free for a short while or at least it was really cheep.

Miss B

CV-BEE
SM did have 2 versions of P11, when Rendo bought it out they dropped the normal one and made the pro the normal. I can't remember exactly but they told people to "upgrade" to the new version but I can't remember if it was free for a short while or at least it was really cheep.
EXACTLY!! There no longer is a Standard version of Poser 11. As Rae stated, the 2 separate versions of the "original" Poser 11 were "initially" created and sold by SmithMicro. When they sold the software to Renderosity, they were combined into just one version of Poser 11, namely Poser 11 Pro.

As Rae also stated, there was a time after Renderosity took over the reigns when they offered an upgrade from the Standard version to the Pro version, and I too don't recall exactly what the price differential was at the time. THAT's why there are 2 version pages on the Poser Software site, since there "were" 2 versions when Renderosity bought the software.

It seems to me you either never saw the upgrade option in a newsletter, or on the Poser Software site, or ignored it at that point. That's why you are having issues trying to render with your GPU with Poser 11.

Deathbycanon

Inspired
not having issues now, I haven't used it since before rederosity took it over. This was before it went to rendo and it was two separate versions. I tried it, a lot actually because I was doing vendor promos and I absolutely hated it. Sometimes hair was hair, sometimes hair was a prop, sometimes things were in where poses should be..... It made me so angry to use. It took me twice as long to set up a scene and then ten times longer to render it, and the results were no where near the quality I would get in Iray. I was doing promo after promo and hating everything about it, started hating doing the art itself. So I stopped taking poser promos and deleted it. So yea, if anything came out about an update I probably didn't care enough to read it. :)

Phoenix

Admirable
Swan in the Mist

swan in the mist.jpg

Rendered using Daz Iray. Time: About 5 hours. Much of the afternoon. Lol.

Miss B

CV-BEE
not having issues now, I haven't used it since before rederosity took it over. This was before it went to rendo and it was two separate versions. I tried it, a lot actually because I was doing vendor promos and I absolutely hated it. Sometimes hair was hair, sometimes hair was a prop, sometimes things were in where poses should be..... It made me so angry to use. It took me twice as long to set up a scene and then ten times longer to render it, and the results were no where near the quality I would get in Iray. I was doing promo after promo and hating everything about it, started hating doing the art itself. So I stopped taking poser promos and deleted it. So yea, if anything came out about an update I probably didn't care enough to read it. :)

I don't recall whether this occurred when SM owned Poser, but now I get an "alert", so to speak, within Poser itself when there's news of importance. It usually has a link to the Poser Software site, IIRC, though I rarely bother with it from within Poser, because I get the emails, so will see it anyway.

As far as you having issues and deciding it wasn't worth it, I can't blame you for that, as I would probably have felt the same way.

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
This beautiful bird, the Rose-breasted Grosbeak is after the bees in the orchard.

Credits:

Songbird ReMix Characters v2 (Rose-breasted Grosbeak) by Ken _Gilliland at Renderosity
Nature's Wonders Bee by Ken _Gilliland

Cherry Tree by Lisa's Botanicals

Legends of Fantasy by Susan Justice (formerly McKivergan) at Renderosity
Rowan Trees Megapack by -esha- at DAZ
Backgrounds by Impressionistic by Cassandra8348 at Renderosity Free Stuff
Folkvangar is Enchanted by Veronica Atanacio (aka folkvangar) at Renderosity

On the Hunt
On the Hunt.jpg

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
This is the Green-tailed Towhee, it is the smallest Towhee.

Credits:

Songbird ReMix Characters v2 (Green-tailed Towhee) by Ken Gilliland at Renderosity

Nature's Wonders Saguaro Habitat by Ken Gilliland

Fantasy Mystic Backgrounds by vanda51 - Vanda Mata at Renderosity

Song of the Towhee
Song of the Towhee.jpg

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
I had no idea that there were Desert Cardinals in the southwestern United States, until I found them in Ken Gilliland's Field Guide. It has proven to be a very valuable resource.

These beauties are in Volume 3 of Songbird ReMix Characters.

Credits:

Songbird ReMix Characters v3 (Pyrrhuloxia or Desert Cardinal) by Ken _Gilliland now at Renderosity

Nature's Wonders Saguaro Habitat by Ken Gilliland

30 MORE Sky Backgrounds by Victoria Goodman at Renderosity
Public Domain Picture from Wikimedia

Dawns Glow
Dawns Glow.jpg

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
Here is another colorful Goldfinch. This one is the Lawrence's Goldfinch. It's breeding range is in California.

Credits:

Songbird ReMix Characters v3 (Lawrence's Goldfinch) by Ken _Gilliland at Renderosity

Painted Daisy by Lisa's Botanicals

Sparkle Nights Backgrounds & Overlays by Elle Arden Images - Elle Walby at Renderosity

Bountiful Harvest
Bountiful Harvest.jpg

Carey

Extraordinary
Carey- I love this!!! Awesome job!
There is always some little something I forget to do that I don't realize it until I post it, then it slaps me up side the head, knocks me on the ground and puts me in a double chicken wing...Shh, don't tell any one, maybe they won't notice....lol