• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Iray DS Base Shaders

Szark

Awesome
I haven't forgotten, I am still working on this, got to work on it between jobs. I am hoping to get it all finished this weekend.

Szark

Awesome
I am halfway through and realised it is more complicated to explain than I thought but I am getting there. May not be ready for Monday but I will keep at it until done. It should really give a better insight in how to use the Iray shader and get more out of it as the info can be spread right down the shader tree part for SSS. That would need a tut on it's own and many still struggle with it, me included. I have a basic understanding but man it is touchy.

This is what I am using a base, one Cube made in Blender, uv unwrapped, subdivided a lot, exported as OBJ.
Import in to DS, (Poser settings), Apply Sub-D level 2.

This is a really simple set up.

One texture (Albedo) map
HW_Albedo.jpg

displacement map hence the dense mesh
HW_Displace1.jpg

a Metalicity Weight map (See attached White = Metal, Black = nonmetal)
HW_M.jpg

a plain block colour Roughness map
HW_Rougness_Plain.jpg

and finally a Top Coat Layer Weight Map to limit the Top Coat effect to just the logo.
HW_W.jpg

The result
hwcuberoughplain.jpg

Szark

Awesome
This is what you get with the above with just adding one more map a Glossy Roughness Map and a Normal Map for the scratches. All maps made in Photoshop, Normal Map made in GIMP using a Greyscale image.

Glossy Roughness Map
HW_Rougness3 S.jpg

Normal Map
HW_N S.jpg

Results. See how the Roughness maps have made the scratches more matte
hwcuberoughscratches.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Neat like an old worn surface! What happens when you add that to the HiveWire sign too?

Szark

Awesome
it would do the same thing all depends on the effect you want. It all about the weight and roughness maps and grayscale levels.

What I am showing here is the basic principle on what Substance Painter is built on. The Iray shader I am using it pretty much what Substance Painter and Unreal 4 use in terms of the maps.

It is cool to think that just adjusting the roughness the scratches change colour enough to show and they are not part of the diffuse map (albedo)...this is PBR in action. The Normal Maps ads more weight in the illusion of having scratches.

Szark

Awesome
It is cool when you do include scratches in the albedo map and use more maps to separate the metal underneath, red paint from the logo. 3 different surfaces on one map all been controlled by grayscale maps. :)

PS Albedo map means having no lighting, shadows and highlights etc on the diffuse map.

HWCube Painted 1.jpg

HW_Paint over Metals_Albedo S.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
PS Albedo map means having no lighting, shadows and highlights etc on the diffuse map.
Ohhhh, so THAT's what those are for. I use FilterForge, and have often seen references to Albedo maps, but could never figure out what they were.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I consider a day only worth living if I've learned something new. ;)

OK one question though, where in the Surfaces (or Poser Materials) palette would you plugin an Albedo map?

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, in Poser it's called Diffuse as well. Now I'm wondering if it's used "instead of" a Diffuse map, which is usually the texture map. Then again, if this is used in Iray, it most likely can be used in SuperFly in PoserPro11. I'm going to have to check that out.

Of course, Poser has a BlenderNode option, with 2 inputs and a Blending amount, so if there were a Diffuse map, that could possibly plug into one input, and the Albedo map plug into the second input, and then the BlenderNode gets plugged into the Diffuse node on the PoserSurface palette.

OK, now I've got something to play with. ;)

Edited to Add: Now that I think about it, the Albedo is probably used "instead of" a Diffuse/Texture map. I'm definitely going to have to play with this and see the difference.

Szark

Awesome
Albedo maps are diffuse texture maps with no lighting information, shadows, highlights and AO. This is why procedural made maps that FilterForge and Substance Designer make are most often better than photographed made maps.