• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Inherent Goodness of People?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Do any of you find that people you know causing trouble online, don't do it in real life? They only seem to be brave behind the safety of a keyboard and monitor, out of the way of physical reprisal.

Hornet3d

Wise
Do any of you find that people you know causing trouble online, don't do it in real life? They only seem to be brave behind the safety of a keyboard and monitor, out of the way of physical reprisal.

I think this is, in part, a human trait, I know of more than one person who is normally very well mannered but not behind the wheel of a car.

As far as it just being on line, horrid as it is, in some cases that it a blessing, I have a relative who was stalked for years so I am aware of the impact it can have on peoples lives. In this case he was later jailed for killing his mother so the danger was real. The Internet has certainly given rise to people who cause trouble on line that would not do so face to face but it can also be a valuable tool for stalkers to track their victim. The plus side is that it will leave a trial for the authorities to follow but this does nothing to limit the harm while it is taking place.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm sure most online bullies don't act that way in "real life." Or ... aren't as vicious in real life. But I also think many are people you avoid talking about certain subjects with. Though, you'd probably never think they are an online bully or that they would be vicious toward others online. It's just that talking to them about certain things will be just like banging your head against a concrete wall.

How many abusers are thought to be wonderful people ... because we don't see how abusive they are behind closed doors.

Definitely some online bullies are bullies in real life. It's just easier to be a bully online because you don't need to be physically stronger than your victims and you don't need a group of followers to back you up.

Szark

Awesome
Yeah on the whole I avoid certain subjects as many don't want a mature educated debate and most people aren't flexible enough to hear the truth, not my truth just the truth. Obviously religion is harder as there is only the personal truth but again so many that believe in a deity or don't have a fixed mindset which stops the debate dead.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm sure most online bullies don't act that way in "real life." Or ... aren't as vicious in real life. But I also think many are people you avoid talking about certain subjects with. Though, you'd probably never think they are an online bully or that they would be vicious toward others online. It's just that talking to them about certain things will be just like banging your head against a concrete wall.

How many abusers are thought to be wonderful people ... because we don't see how abusive they are behind closed doors.

Definitely some online bullies are bullies in real life. It's just easier to be a bully online because you don't need to be physically stronger than your victims and you don't need a group of followers to back you up.

I am always surprised by victims of con artists who say he or she seemed so nice. Of course they did otherwise they wouldn't be much of a con artist.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I hate con artists, but I usually can see through them within minutes, and don't fall for their tricks. I had someone call me one day stating she wanted to help me get past the IRS's law suit against me for non-payment of taxes. Yeah. Right. Sure. I listened to half her speech, and when she asked, "You don't know what I'm talking about?" I simply said "I haven't a "F'ing" clue what you're talking about." At that point there was total silence, and I hung up.

I called my accountant right after that, and he told me he had quite a few clients calling him about similar phone calls, and one of them actually almost fell for it, but when she brought the package to Fed Ex, the guy there told her he wasn't accepting it, because it was a known scam. She got lucky, and it didn't cost her anything, and my accountant told me she's an established attorney. What WAS she thinking to even consider it??? Oh well, I don't fall for that nonsense, in fact, I almost didn't answer the call at all, which is my usual M.O. in such situations, but I'm glad I did. It's good for these con artists to know not everyone's that gullible.

Last edited:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
This is how I deal with trolls etc,

1: Grow a thicker skin
2: don't take it personally, they are only words
3: don't read the crap

I am on FB and I hardly read the comments on hot topics, I am there for the humour, new and information.
Hopefully I help to keep you laughing with the occasional AWWWWWW :)

Szark

Awesome
oh mate you and Allen Harkleroad keep me entertained which I am very thankful for. I used to hate FB now I love it. No I don't spend much time there each day, some more than others but man I find a lot of good info on there. Yes I just ignore the trolls. Checking FB each morning has me laughing a lot.

How can you not find these funny.

I accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next bathroom visit could spell disaster.

my fav of the day

Q: What's it called when a chameleon can't change its colors anymore?

A: A reptile dysfunction.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yeah on the whole I avoid certain subjects as many don't want a mature educated debate and most people aren't flexible enough to hear the truth, not my truth just the truth. Obviously religion is harder as there is only the personal truth but again so many that believe in a deity or don't have a fixed mindset which stops the debate dead.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a mature educated debate. especially when it comes to certain subjects like ghosts, for example. I'm a true skeptic on the subject, but I do have an open mind. Until I have a conversation with my dead mother while I'm wide awake and in full control of all my faculties, I may not ever truly believe, but at least I haven't just stated as fact that here's no such thing without any proof.

Szark

Awesome
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a mature educated debate. especially when it comes to certain subjects like ghosts, for example. I'm a true skeptic on the subject, but I do have an open mind. Until I have a conversation with my dead mother while I'm wide awake and in full control of all my faculties, I may not ever truly believe, but at least I haven't just stated as fact that here's no such thing without any proof.
good example and well said. But to my point you said it you are open minded and don't just dismiss it, that is the mature part.

Miss B

CV-BEE
What was the scam (and what was in the package) Miss B, can you explain please?
Basically, the caller wanted me to send them a good deal of money to settle the supposed amount owed, so the lawsuit would go away. The IRS is the Internal Revenue Service, which is where we send our federal tax payments, so if the IRS has a lawsuit against you, you're in big trouble. From what I understand the gal who almost got caught up in it was about to send a money order, or whatever payment requested, to get this fixed. I can understand how the average citizen can get caught up in something like this, but my working for a top NY law firm for 40 years makes me skeptical of such shenanigans. That's why I was so surprised when my accountant told me she was an established attorney. She should've been just as skeptical as I was.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
But that doesn't make sense? Or maybe I don't understand how money orders work. Why would she be sending a money order in a package through Fed Ex?

I'd say if she were at the point of buying a money order or sending a package through Fed Ex. She didn't almost fall for the con. She fell for it.

I don't see it all that surprising an attorney would fall for a scam. After all, a lot of them believe their clients, yeah? Or suspend their disbelief to represent some of them. Who knows. She could well have reasons to believe the IRS would come after her with a lawsuit.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Just saw this on Facebook: Nothing makes a little dog feel braver than a fence. The internet is the best fence of all --

Basically, the caller wanted me to send them a good deal of money to settle the supposed amount owed, so the lawsuit would go away. The IRS is the Internal Revenue Service, which is where we send our federal tax payments, so if the IRS has a lawsuit against you, you're in big trouble. From what I understand the gal who almost got caught up in it was about to send a money order, or whatever payment requested, to get this fixed.

I got one of these calls too. It was scary for about a minute. I kept thinking but the IRS usually write to me. I called the guy a name and hung up. Then I contacted the IRS and let them know about it.

Hornet3d

Wise
Just saw this on Facebook: Nothing makes a little dog feel braver than a fence. The internet is the best fence of all --

I got one of these calls too. It was scary for about a minute. I kept thinking but the IRS usually write to me. I called the guy a name and hung up. Then I contacted the IRS and let them know about it.

This scam seems very common, at least there are a number of You Tube clips that show this scam, some even where they try and scam the cops themselves.

eclark1894

Visionary
The IRS never calls you unless you've made an appointment for them to call. And they will never ask you to send them money in a phone call.

Miss B

CV-BEE
In answer to Satira's question, I don't recall if it actually was a money order or not, which is why I stated "or whatever payment requested." I got this call quite a while ago, so don't remember now what was stated, or even if I let the call get quite that far. It's possible the caller wouldn't have mentioned the method of payment until I asked for help, which I didn't.

As far as an attorney knowing better, I didn't inquire what type of law she practiced, so yes, there are times when you have to blind yourself to some clients, but the firm I worked for only worked with large corporations, and yes they can be seedy as well, but the partner I worked for was a corporate attorney, so we didn't do any litigation work. That said, I had been at the firm long enough to know enough about the cases the litigation attorneys worked on, and it's not quite the same as an attorney who might be in private practice who defends shady characters in court.

I've never had to deal directly with the IRS, mostly because my accountant prepares and files my tax returns, so if there WAS an issue, he would be the first one to know about it, and he would be the one contacting me about it, not the IRS. For those who do their own taxes, then I can see the IRS contacting them directly, and no Janet, I can't see them calling anyone either. Phone calls aren't legitimate proof of an issue, unless of course they record the phone call, which is possible, but I can't see the IRS doing anything that's not in writing.

Hornet3d

Wise
The couple of clips I saw the the scammer was saying that the person owed money as they had made an erroneous claim on their returns and they were about to send an officer out with a warrant for their arrest. The only way to prevent that happening was to pay up immediately. Even from the UK it seemed bogus but then if they got the right target I can see some being very scared about being arrested, they don't need anything close to a 100% success rate to make money