• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Rokket

Dances with Bees
The go-to publisher is Taschen (who produced the book in the image). I've found them a wonderful source for hard-to-find books or books which are not the usual fare in mainstream bookshops although they are stocked by Waterstones if you have one nearby. I'm not sure if they are available digitally but are probably best avoided because of the pitifully small size of the images which certainly do not do justice to the work and effort put in by the artists. In this case, the book itself is important.
The only problem I have is that the book is very thick, and therefore very heavy. I live out of a suitcase and am limited in weight. My suitcase is already pushing the limits, so I may just take a few pics of the pages that pique my interest and go from there. My brother owns it, so I know where it is when I want to get to it.

Hornet3d

Wise
The go-to publisher is Taschen (who produced the book in the image). I've found them a wonderful source for hard-to-find books or books which are not the usual fare in mainstream bookshops although they are stocked by Waterstones if you have one nearby. I'm not sure if they are available digitally but are probably best avoided because of the pitifully small size of the images which certainly do not do justice to the work and effort put in by the artists. In this case, the book itself is important.

Thanks for the information on Taschen, a really interesting site where I will spend some time. I am quite taken back by the price of some books like over £20oo for a book by David Bailey but in the context of how we got here the Peter Driben '1000 pin up girls' looks great and at £15 a great buy.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Hee Hee! I forgot to mention the price of some of the limited editions! Not to worry though because most of his books are very reasonably priced, which is why I have a fair number of them. If, like Rokket you need to go digital, search online for these guys (and gal) - George Petty IV (who was responsible for designing the artwork on the nose of B-17 bomber 'Memphis Belle', Art Frahm, Enoch Bolles, Zoe Mozert, Gil Elvgren and Alberto Vargas. I would repeat, however, to steer clear of digital books given that the size of illustrations in them is usually woefully inadequate. I recently bought a copy (digital) of Arthur Rackham illustrations for £24.99 in which the largest illustration (out of 90!) measures some 2.5 x 1.5 cm, which, if you are aware of Rackham's work is nothing short of disastrous!

Hornet3d

Wise
Hee Hee! I forgot to mention the price of some of the limited editions! Not to worry though because most of his books are very reasonably priced, which is why I have a fair number of them. If, like Rokket you need to go digital, search online for these guys (and gal) - George Petty IV (who was responsible for designing the artwork on the nose of B-17 bomber 'Memphis Belle', Art Frahm, Enoch Bolles, Zoe Mozert, Gil Elvgren and Alberto Vargas. I would repeat, however, to steer clear of digital books given that the size of illustrations in them is usually woefully inadequate. I recently bought a copy (digital) of Arthur Rackham illustrations for £24.99 in which the largest illustration (out of 90!) measures some 2.5 x 1.5 cm, which, if you are aware of Rackham's work is nothing short of disastrous!

To be honest it was only a shock because the David Bailey book was on the home page and I gulped at the £2250 price tag. As soon as I looked at the books listing I could see loads at the £10 to £20 mark, mind you even at that, I could spend a small fortune there.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, you picked up Afrodite's Lolita Dress. Nice renders, and I like the textures you used for the dress. The main promo's stripped set is nice, but I'm liking these brown textures too.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Another site to check is Bud's Art Books.
Bud's Art Books

I stubbed across them at the only ComicCon I ever went to back several years ago. I bought a couple of things and have been on their mailing list ever since.

LOADS of pin-up art, comics, illustration magazine editions, famous (and not so famous) artists sketchbooks and other things. Lots of different publishers, Taschen is only one of them.

Admittedly I don't know what shipping overseas might run. They're American, and I think probably based on the west coast.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Another site to check is Bud's Art Books.
Bud's Art Books

I stubbed across them at the only ComicCon I ever went to back several years ago. I bought a couple of things and have been on their mailing list ever since.

LOADS of pin-up art, comics, illustration magazine editions, famous (and not so famous) artists sketchbooks and other things. Lots of different publishers, Taschen is only one of them.

Admittedly I don't know what shipping overseas might run. They're American, and I think probably based on the west coast.
I have family all over Washington state, so shipping wouldn't be a problem. But carrying around a bunch of books I can't claim as professional or work related would be. I have to find a digital copy of these with decent sized image files.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ohhh, you picked up Afrodite's Lolita Dress. Nice renders, and I like the textures you used for the dress. The main promo's stripped set is nice, but I'm liking these brown textures too.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if the brown blended too much in the background or not but I kinda liked it like that lol.
I'm thinking about doing some textures for it but it looks like uses shaders rather than a diffuse texture like I'm familiar with.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Elizabeth.jpg

This is Elizabeth 2 by Dodger. I tweaked her mats so they worked in Superfly, and then added EZSkin3 to the mix. I used Ghostship's eye shaders for V4 to great success. I had to use the clothing that came with her, even though I am not too keen on them. I tweaked those shaders too, although they were already Superfly ready, using Cycles. I like her. She's cute, and had a ton of morphs.

Hornet3d

Wise
I can never think if scenes like that. I guess having super heroes on the brain is probably why....

You are not alone, I sometimes stray out of the sci-fi norm into fantasy but not often, but then we all have our themes and different likes and loves which is what makes this such a lively community.

Also, if truth be known, a lot of my sci-fi scenes are inspired from me wading through my growing library of 'The Art Of' books for ideas.