• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

eclark1894

Visionary
Oh now the candle looks like it's been lit for a while. This angle shows off the top of the candle.

Now you might think about thin little droppings down the sides. ;)
I've thought of it. I'm thinking a normal map might work though, so I'm going tto try that first.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhh I like Rae, and considering it's a busy render, I'm not surprised Iray's having problems.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've thought of it. I'm thinking a normal map might work though, so I'm going tto try that first.
Oh by all means. I didn't mean you absolutely had to model the drips. A good normal map should do that just as well.

eclark1894

Visionary
Thank you, Zaarin.
I'm having trouble making this wine glass look good. Actually the glass doesn't look too bad, but I can't seem to make the wine look good at all.

wine.png

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think eclark, the wine needs to be a deeper red (and maybe a little more translucent if it looks too much like blood which this looks a little like, great for halloween :D). The light reds like Rose tend to be much more translucent (more like a white with a tint of pink). Loving your stuff.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Rae's right, the wine should be more translucent. I've tried this with a brandy glass I modeled in Rhino 3D yearsssssssss ago, and at least now the glass is looking good, thanks to Chucks glass setup for PhysicalSurface. Looks better than anything I've tried before.

What I'm seeing with your wine, however is a rough white center like the top of the candle. Is that what you intended? The wine, at least to me, should be red all the way across. This looks like it's shaped like the glass both on the outside of the wide as well as the inside of the wine, like a tube effect. Not sure what you're trying to do there.

Oh and I like the plates and silverware. ;)

Zaarin

Brilliant
On the wine: yes, you want a darker color; also, the IOR of wine is actually more like 1.34 rather than the 1.33 of water (because of the sugar). That won't make a huge difference, but it's worth noting. Try (144, 0, 32) or (114, 47, 55) for the color.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So that colour is something from the wine that you need to adjust...looked like it was the glass material in the previous render. This render looks really good...so it's just the wine material/shader you need to adjust a bit.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Technically, the glass and wine are two separate objects imported together into Poser.
Hmmm, that's the problem I had with the Brandy snifter I was playing with. I had just colored the bottom half of the inside faces of the glass to get it to look like the wine, but now I'm wondering if 2 separate objects isn't the better way to go about it.

eclark1894

Visionary
Last post in this thread. I don't wantt to take it over with my attempts to get some dishes right. So after this post i'll be starting another WIP thread. That said. Here's a render of the candle and a glass of white wine. Kind of funny when i still can seem to get the red wine to come out looking right yet.

White.png

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I need to check this in Poser Pro 2014 (and in Pro 2012 if Cameron finishes her construct sky panorama render) for Firefly compatibility, and externally reference the geometry, but here is the first rough (12 sample) test render in Superfly:

I think I'll also make one of those two-ended elvish polearm weapons.

Miss B

CV-BEE
WoW Seach, that's stunning. The engraved design and wording is well done. :D

seachnasaigh

Energetic
WoW Seach, that's stunning. The engraved design and wording is well done. :D
Thank you, Miss B. :) I'm relieved that the vinery is OK, because several times I deleted my path drawings and started over. Drawing is *not* my forte'.:laugh: I'm more of an engineer/mathematician personality.