• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Thanks for the info, Hornet. I've been over to Rendo and I've wishlisted nearly the entire Dryjack store!

Hornet3d

Wise
Dragon Attack.jpg

When Caoimhe ran off and left him Turlough thought for a moment she had abandoned him, she had other plans. She didn't think she could kill it but placed in the right spot she thought an arrow might distract it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Nicely done Hornet. I bet he's feeling the heat of the dragon fire pretty intensely.

eclark1894

Visionary
View attachment 13942

When Caoimhe ran off and left him Turlough thought for a moment she had abandoned him, she had other plans. She didn't think she could kill it but placed in the right spot she thought an arrow might distract it.
I hope you consider this for what it is, a critique, not a criticism. I think they're heads are slightly too big for their bodies. It may be the scaling, it may be intentional or it may be the perspective. Also her left knee looks like it's sinking into the stone.

Hornet3d

Wise
I hope you consider this for what it is, a critique, not a criticism. I think they're heads are slightly too big for their bodies. It may be the scaling, it may be intentional or it may be the perspective. Also her left knee looks like it's sinking into the stone.

I never have any problems with critique, or criticism in fact, so thank you for taking the time to look and pass on your views.

The characters are the same base models that I have used in a number of renders with no changes to the scaling for this particular render. The female character is certainly re-scaled in an attempt to portray a five foot nothing heroine and I did take a lot of time, and a few different methods, to make sure the scaling was correct. That is not to say I got it right of course and I would love to hear other peoples views on it. The male character is an un-scaled M4. Not sure if the figures are wrong or as you said the perspective is wrong, certainly large heads were not my intention.

You could be right with the knee, although again I did place it correctly at one point but Poser, for me at least, has a habit of doing a small 'translate and pull' when I click on a figure which is a sort of unforced nudge. It could be that and I could be plan wrong. I have a much larger version of the render so I will check that and if you I are correct I will correct it.

Thanks again for pointing the errors out, I am always open to any veiws that may improve my art.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Now that I look at it closely, his left foot looks like it, too, could be ever so slightly in the ground. I know what you mean about the slight "nudges" that occur, and I usually sit with my left hand hovering over the Ctrl and Z keys, just in case. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
Now that I look at it closely, his left foot looks like it, too, could be ever so slightly in the ground. I know what you mean about the slight "nudges" that occur, and I usually sit with my left hand hovering over the Ctrl and Z keys, just in case. ;)

I can remember placing the Dawn figure by adjusting the Y tran numerics until the knee was just below and then adjusting by 0,01 until the knee was above ground. I have to admit I cannot remember doing that with the M4 figure but I do get engrossed and I could have forgot. They look to be out by about the same amount so perhaps I moved the ground sections. On most ground planes I use the bottom camera and adjust the figure until the feet show through and then raise a small amount at a time until they just disappear. In this case I could not do this as the ground in question is a bridge and the model has a thickness.

In once sense it is easily fixed but if I am going to go back to it I really want to address the head size question as well. If I can remember when I created the character I scaled the height of the figure to approximate a 5 foot person and the head was scaled so that the figure was between 7.5 and 8 heads in height. I need to go back and see if the base was wrong or if errors have slipped in along the way.

eclark1894

Visionary
Perfect scenario for the use of IK, Hornet. Turn IK on, select the foot and quickly click once on the up (or down) arrow on either end of the dial. The foot will rise in small increments for each click. You can stop when you get the foot where you desire. A lot of people don't like to use IK, but I love it. Moving the foot this way makes all the adjoining joints move and look naturally.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think the cobblestone ground isn't helping either. His foot looks like it might be caught between two of them, though that's probably an optical illusion as well.

Hornet3d

Wise
Perfect scenario for the use of IK, Hornet. Turn IK on, select the foot and quickly click once on the up (or down) arrow on either end of the dial. The foot will rise in small increments for each click. You can stop when you get the foot where you desire. A lot of people don't like to use IK, but I love it. Moving the foot this way makes all the adjoining joints move and look naturally.

Thanks for that, never thought of doing that way, but it makes sense.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think the heads may at least partially be the perspective. Perspective can do some funny things with parts of the body when viewed from a certain angle.

Hornet3d

Wise
IK probably isn't at it's best for overall posing though, but I like to use it for tweaking mainly when posing the hands and arms and feet and legs.

That is so useful. I tend to use commercial poses to get me close to where I want to be and go from there but as the figures I use have been scaled the placement of the hands and feet are often slightly out, even on the commercial pose. Using IK to make small adjustments to the hands and feet is going ot be a real time saver for me.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Don't forget that part of what you are seeing could be a difference in rendered displacement/normals and what you see in the preview screen.

It may appear in preview that you have the models placed well and the final render does something different because of displacement and/or normal map use.

And, I do have to agree with Earl that her head is too large for her body. The proportions are off a bit. She's a great character for Dawn and you have done an amazing job, but that one little sniggle (is that a word, LOL!) really throws it off.

Hornet3d

Wise
Don't forget that part of what you are seeing could be a difference in rendered displacement/normals and what you see in the preview screen.

It may appear in preview that you have the models placed well and the final render does something different because of displacement and/or normal map use.

And, I do have to agree with Earl that her head is too large for her body. The proportions are off a bit. She's a great character for Dawn and you have done an amazing job, but that one little sniggle (is that a word, LOL!) really throws it off.

Thank you for the input, and yet again I had not thought of the displacement/normals and the difference they could make. At the moment I have not gone back to the render, although I will, but I have returned to look at the base figure. I had thought I had the proportions that ensured the overall figure had a height of 7.5 to 8 heads but I also tried to relate the figure I had to some figure studies and something clearly went wrong. On checking the figure I am using the body height is actually somewhat short of 7 heads so I need to correct this. If I am going to play with the base figure I want to refine some small details while I am at it so that is where I am focusing my effort at this point.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback I will endeavor to make sure it is all put to good use.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist

I think Glitterati might be on to something here, I've certainly run into that sort of problem before, also if you have any subD or smoothing on, it can sometimes inflate things in the final render. In fact, my thoughts on the knee is it looks like it is placed correctly but something in the texture looks 'squishy'. It's not just where her knee is, but other places too, the stones just don't look 'hard' to me. I wish I could explain it better. I almost wonder if it's the texture not taking the lighting well, although other than that I'd say the lighting is great. I love the light of the fire shinning off the stones and the shadows look right, even the small pool of light on the right side of the render just suggested that there is another building or lamp just off the screen.

eclark1894

Visionary
That is so useful. I tend to use commercial poses to get me close to where I want to be and go from there but as the figures I use have been scaled the placement of the hands and feet are often slightly out, even on the commercial pose. Using IK to make small adjustments to the hands and feet is going ot be a real time saver for me.
I used to do a LOT of poses for V4, so I have had experience with using IK. I'm thinking off starting my own blog, there's a thread about it in the Meadows forum. but now you've given me an idea for one of my first articles. Posing using IK.:)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
IK is very helpfull, I end up using it a lot in fine tuning poses. Particularly the more odd or extreme ones