• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yeah, that's pretty much my sense of humour. I laughed when it popped into my head, which is why I had to doodle it. :laugh:
How did you doodle it?

And yeah, I chuckled at it too. Calvin and Hobbes has always been at top of my list, along with Garry Larsen's Far Side.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Vigil.jpg

@quietrob I tried it with the red boots. What do you think?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
View attachment 35310
I am not too certain about this water shader. It almost looks metallic.
yes, a bit too metallic looking (or too blue, I've always like how the water would sparkle with the light just right but I don't remember it being quite that colour). I think too the texture stretch on the hill makes the water stand out too much?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to agree, though I'm wondering if it's the PoV as well. IOW, I'm wondering how different it would appear if you were looking down on the water slightly, instead of straight across it.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have to agree, though I'm wondering if it's the PoV as well. IOW, I'm wondering how different it would appear if you were looking down on the water slightly, instead of straight across it.

I didn't think of that but the PoV could be a big factor. If the PoV was higher though I would expect to see some of her legs through the water, at least close to the surface.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
yes, a bit too metallic looking (or too blue, I've always like how the water would sparkle with the light just right but I don't remember it being quite that colour). I think too the texture stretch on the hill makes the water stand out too much?

The water does not look right, as you suggest, too metallic and too blue. On the other hand I do love the look something that could be used in sci fi without a problem.

I was trying to use cycles to get that water, and I overdid something and can't figure out what it was. I know someone on these forums posted a cycles shader for water, but I can't find it now to reproduce it. This was going on what I could remember of the shader. I guess I missed something in there.

And if you have ever been on the Pacific ocean you would see that color blue. Where I messed up is that is very deep water that shows that color. Closer to shore and more shallow water would be more of a lime green.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Turlough was beginning to regret his decision to return home to his planet and his time. The stress of having to deal with technology that he did not understand, or trust to any large degree, had gone. Not a bad change he thought but it had been replaced by the mind numbing knowledge that each day would be much the same as the next.

He returned to painting to pass the time, something he had not done for years, and there could only be one subject. Now, as he stared at the result he decided it was too large for his room, but then she had been larger than life and dominated his thoughts, in fact she still did.

Looking at the painting just reminded him that he would never see her again, a painful thought. Having painted it he decided he would only gaze upon it if he ever felt he would forget what she looked like. To gaze on it every day would be just too much.

View attachment 35154
Sorry I've been away for a bit. Family matters and such.

That fulfills the challenge! I was thinking something more subtle but different artists think in different ways of presenting the same thing and this just commands my attention. A second look and this is more subtle than Caohime's giant portrait. We also see the image of Turlough in the portrait. A reflection of himself while staring at his better half.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sorry I've been away for a bit. Family matters and such.

That fulfills the challenge! I was thinking something more subtle but different artists think in different ways of presenting the same thing and this just commands my attention. A second look and this is more subtle than Caohime's giant portrait. We also see the image of Turlough in the portrait. A reflection of himself while staring at his better half.

I hope the family matters were sorted and everything is fine now.

I guessed that the render was not exactly what you had in mind but I thought I might be able to use it in the book and it was sort of correct at least as the description was laid out if not in the spirit. It looked simple and it is except for the lighting and the reflectivity of the glass, I wanted the texture of the painting to show but still grab enough of Turlough's reflection. I was pleased at how that part turned out.