• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

quietrob

Extraordinary
@Rokket

That's pretty good colors for preview mode. I tried to render a 30 second movie years ago. After three days of not having my computer, I gave up. Still, that looked like a lot of fun! If I could ever get a rig like @seachnasaigh, I might give it another try.

Oh, I'm about to unveil some heroines but not their powers. Names are hard but new powers are almost impossible to come by.

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
View attachment 33211
This one is fully rendered.

I played around with an animation with this for a couple hours until I got it right. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I am not sure if I did:

The render is Superfly, the video was made with preview render. I wanted to get it done quickly, so I bypassed fully rendering each frame. If I ever get a setup like seachnasaigh, I'll render each frame.

I love the animation. Hate the fact that I watch these clips and at the end finish up clicking on another Trump clip.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I'm fairly pleased with it. I can't honestly say that I *like* ZBrush, but I'm not afraid of the prospect of having to mess with it.
Of course, nothing you build in it seems to be usable anywhere outside it until you jump through all kinds of hoops, but I suppose that's par for the course.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is Vicky, a girl who has once ruled my gallery, and the last one to be welcome in both the houses of P and D. She was present in most of my renders before 2013, but then got replaced by Dawn. That doesn't mean she doesn't hold a place in my heart, so today she is back in black. Here's one for the good ol'times!

Victoria.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Don't really know how to do that. I fiddled with it, and was able to get a 2-color effect. i.e., apply a material which affects everything, and then be able to turn that off of some of the subtools, and then colorize the whole thing. Since the stuff with the basic matt turned off was plain white the colorizing painted them that color, but the colorizing also affected the basic matt.

For the Photocomposite that we did for the midterm we managed to apply a flat color to individual subtools and then render it and use it for a selection mask. But the flat colors weren't anything that you'd want on an actual project.

And of course there are no written instructions, so Im not altogether clear on how to even do that, now. I *think* we got a video of the class demo, but I'm not sure he recorded that particular part of the demo, and of course there's no audio, either.

If anyone reasonably competent decided to write 'ZBrush for Dummies' I will definitely be buying a copy. But there's not much likelihood of that.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I want to try my hand at more than a few seconds of animation. On my YouTube page there is an old animation I did with Poser 8. It was just James and a talk designer file...

Okay, like I said. The instructor gave me a list of critique, and some of it was pretty fair. So I spent most of today reworking the Pumpkinhead, and so far as I am concerned, I am finished with it. Overall, an improvement, I think.View attachment 33212View attachment 33213
In the redo, it really comes alive.
The texture looks very different. Is it just added specularity, or is some reflection used too?
Really looks like a brass casting now. Nice work.

The tack is coming along.
It was fun making conforming tack, but that was a flawed concept.
Tack isn't conforming, more like restricting.
So a whole new approach was needed.
Maybe it's become a little too complicated, but adding some scripts to set things up will make it easier to use.
As you can see the bridle is a hackamore.
Just don't like the idea of a bit. Never did.
Anyway, Harry is a very intelligent horse and doesn't need such crude forms of communication.
The doubletree is part of the carravan now.
The singletrees are rigged and the collar/traces are rigged.
But the collar ornament and the hackamore are props.
Now the reins. They will be rigged, but very simply and use the 'Point At' function to make things easy to adjust.
The traces also use 'Point At', so a script will be very helpful to sort it all out.
Carravan 21a.jpg
Carravan 22a.jpg

quietrob

Extraordinary
While I've ridden a few horses, it was mostly for fun and I had no idea of the terms like Hackamore that you used. My ignorance stated, I haven't seen a rig like those with the two harry's. I can see the brake but isn't some type of rein, needed?

Still, it's Lovely even for a test render.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmmm, I didn't even notice there was no rein, but I think you're right Rob. IIRC, all the horse drawn wagons I've seen in western movies had someone holding reins, as that's how you would lead the horse if you wanted to turn slightly, or you wanted them to slow down, etc.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
In the redo, it really comes alive.
The texture looks very different. Is it just added specularity, or is some reflection used too?
Really looks like a brass casting now. Nice work.

Still a bit red for brass and not *really* metallic, although it does come reasonably close. I just applied a different material before doing my screen grabs. The preliminary one was Sketch Shaded 3 which shows all the detail very nicely, but is a little flat. This one was Polyskin (or Poly Skin, can't recall precisely). Then I threw it into Photoshop where I hit it with Levels to brighten it up and then Hue/Saturation where I pushed it very slightly more yellow than it was.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
This is Vicky, a girl who has once ruled my gallery, and the last one to be welcome in both the houses of P and D. She was present in most of my renders before 2013, but then got replaced by Dawn. That doesn't mean she doesn't hold a place in my heart, so today she is back in black.
Hey, I have a good number of Vicky 4 renders in my gallery at Renderosity, and even a couple of Vicky 3, but those are ancient, and not very good. I was mostly working in Bryce for outdoor landscapes back then, and trying to learn how to use Poser 5 to make decent portrait renders.

BTW, I like your Vicky. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
This is Vicky, a girl who has once ruled my gallery, and the last one to be welcome in both the houses of P and D. She was present in most of my renders before 2013, but then got replaced by Dawn. That doesn't mean she doesn't hold a place in my heart, so today she is back in black. Here's one for the good ol'times!

View attachment 33217

While a very rarely use V4 in renders these days I have loads of V4 renders still on my hard drives and my favorites in a photobook I created at the time. She has a special place in my heart too as, although I had been playing with 3D art for a while, it was V4 I used when I really started to go further than just pose and click render. It was all commercially obtain stuff but I used a lot of morphs along with a combination skin maps and layers in PSP to create a V4 that was a little different to the norm. I am not sure I ever developed a character that did not show the V4 origins but the character had a few revisions and took a long time making it special to me.

When Dawn came along I used many of the skills and resources that I had learnt with V4 so even my Dawn character owes a great deal to V4. It is also one of the reasons I generally don't like the us and them when it comes to marketplaces as they have all played a part in where I am today with my art. While I still have so much to learn and so much I want to do I am happy at the point I am and I owe the community and so many individuals for making that journey possible.

This was my Vicky in 2014.

Portrait 8 HW.jpg