• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Do you have ANY idea how much I hate you Seach??? Well, maybe more envy you rather, than hate you. I don't know what I'd do with a setup like yours, but I'd sure like it if I had even 1/2 of your rendering ability.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@Miss B Can you hook up extra machines? Do you have available aethernet ports on your modem? Have you ever used a KVM switch? What type(s) of computer(s) do you currently have? (tower, laptop?) If you have a tower, does the monitor have an available VGA port (or are you using the VGA)?

edit: Do you have Poser Pro? If you have Vue, do you have Infinite, X-Stream, or Compleat with a rendercow pack add-on?

@Rokket I'd predict that the hardest part would be the motion sequences. You'd need a small library of them to make a movie. The commercially available sequences I've bought are only crude starting points which needed a lot of refinement.

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
@Miss B Can you hook up extra machines? Do you have available aethernet ports on your modem? Have you ever used a KVM switch? What type(s) of computer(s) do you currently have? (tower, laptop?) If you have a tower, does the monitor have an available VGA port (or are you using the VGA)?

edit: Do you have Poser Pro? If you have Vue, do you have Infinite, X-Stream, or Compleat with a rendercow pack add-on?

@Rokket I'd predict that the hardest part would be the motion sequences. You'd need a small library of them to make a movie. The commercially available sequences I've bought are only crude starting points which needed a lot of refinement.
I would probably look into good mocap software and go that route. I am just starting to get back into messing with Poser's animation, so I am going to have to get a good working knowledge of the graph and such.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hey Seach, I have a tower and a laptop, but I hardly use my tower much, though if I wanted to, I suppose I could. As far as which version of Poser, I have P9 and PP11 (my first Pro version). I have Bryce, and often wished I had gotten into Vue, as I've always been told it's like Bryce on steroids.

My problem is not having much physical space for more equipment, which is what I'd really like to get. One of these days. Well, I can dream anyway. ;)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have a tower and a laptop, but I hardly use my tower much, though if I wanted to, I suppose I could.
Seach will have better advice than me, but I'd be playing on the laptop (making the art) and using the desktop for grunt work (rendering) then they'd both be working :p

Miss B

CV-BEE
Do you have room for two midtowers (17.5" high, 17"deep, 6.5" wide)?
I probably could squeeze in a second midtower. The one I have is close to the size you mention (18.5" high, 16" deep and 7" wide). It's old, so I would probably get 2 new ones.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
If you have room for two midtowers, I'm soon going to pull Eir and Kara from my network, replacing their spots in my network switch with blades. Eir and Kara are twins; both are HP wx6600 midtower workstations. They're yours if you can find space for them. They can share your existing tower's keyboard, mouse, and monitor using a KVM squid (I can show you how to hook that up).

Kara and Eir each have dual Xeon E5430 simple (^not^ HyperThreaded, so eight total render threads) quad-core processors at 2.13GHz, 32GB of registered RAM with metal heat dissipators, two old Quadro video cards with DMS-59 outputs (a DVI variant intended to be split to dual monitors - I have DVI/VGA adapters), an OS hard drive and a "storage closet" hard drive. Win7Pro (64bit) license. I've added USB3 ports to the front panel.

By the way, server/workstation speed ratings are conservative, whereas gaming machine claims are... optimistic. I used to have an Aurora chassis with a core i7-965 (HyperThreaded quad, 3.2GHz). Both Eir and the Aurora had eight render threads. Eir (2.13GHz CPU, 600MHz memory) always outperformed the Aurora (3.2GHz CPU, 1600MHz memory) by 5%-10%. Same with Kara.

You'll need four aethernet ports to network them all up (laptop, existing tower, Eir & Kara). If you don't have four ports available on your modem, a simple network switch can fix that.
Then, you could use your laptop as a master, and send batch renders off to the midtowers!:D If you use Reality/Lux, install the Lux render engine on the midtowers, and you can use all four machines to cooperate on a single render!:)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Cameron's motherboard died.:( With a new motherboard, she's back online now.:) With her sistern, she's rendering a big (8192x4096) sunset spherical panorama in Vue at "superior" quality, to be used as a texture for skydomes in Poser/DS.
This represents 480 processor cores!:geek: Git 'er Done!
View attachment 33206
Good gosh! Skynet is active and aware! If a Terminator pops out, I'm outta here. (But I'll be back)

quietrob

Extraordinary
View attachment 33166
I was working with Roxie for a bit. I started out doing an animation of the kick. I posed her then went through each and every frame to make sure the kick transitioned properly. I added the second skin so I wouldn't have to mess with dynamics, then came up with the idea to do a comic style action shot. I think it worked. @quietrob: what do you think, old friend?
This one first. I'm simply impressed. As an artist/creator who is working on a story set in the days of the Samurai rising is simply very cool. Excellent design skills and execution. Going through the every frame ensures smooth transitions. I think you've helped enough to know that Second Skins are just the best! They save so much on resources and file size. I'm off to comment on the actual animation but as a static design, this one is excellent!

quietrob

Extraordinary
I would make a movie. A full two hour long movie. It might take me a few years to do it, but I would do it.
I'd join you in the startup. Time is the great killer and maker of masterpieces. Appleseed and RWBY were both made with Poser. Both are good!!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Glad you used Roxie, a similar render with Dusk would bring tears to my eyes.....well any male figure actually.

I didn't understand until I saw the animation. Oh my. I understand and agree.

The animation is totally cool beans. I do admit to loving them but they take so long to make! Plus I have to ask @Rokket is that animation fully rendered or is that preview mode?

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I didn't understand until I saw the animation. Oh my. I understand and agree.

The animation is totally cool beans. I do admit to loving them but they take so long to make! Plus I have to ask @Rokket is that animation fully rendered or is that preview mode?
The animation is preview mode, I just bumped the preview resolution way up.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
spider.jpg

This one is fully rendered.

I played around with an animation with this for a couple hours until I got it right. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I am not sure if I did:

The render is Superfly, the video was made with preview render. I wanted to get it done quickly, so I bypassed fully rendering each frame. If I ever get a setup like seachnasaigh, I'll render each frame.