• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
A bit of WIP before New Year
NY5.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
And... back at my ZBrush class, we're now bearing down on our final project. Last class session is next Saturday.
We all brought in a number of proposals for what we wanted to try to produce. I had a slew of Oz characters.
The instructor approved Jack Pumpkinhead. Who Neill never quite drew the same way twice. And in the one image that shows him without his costume, he's drawn with joints which would never take the positions that he's shown in in any of the other illos of him. Which is pretty much par for the course.

This was as far as I got on my own. And I thought that I was pretty much finished.
But the instructor gave me a lot of critique about things he thought I ought to redo, Like re-posing the right arm. The reference drawing I was taking it from has the arm in that general position, but I can see that he's probably right about it not being optimal.

So I'm going to need to split the model back to parts and see how well it will do that. I'll probably need to go back several steps and rebuild.
Ah, well, what's the last week of a class without stress?

As a bonus, I ended up redoing the Sawhorse, since he was in the reference drawing as well. I think he came out better than the one I did in Maya. But that one *was* done
some years ago, as well.

Pumpkinhead.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Are you going to texture it as well JOdel? I'm thinking this is going to be one hell of a project when it's done.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Not for the final. It's to be turned in next Saturday. The instructor just wants screen grabs from a number of different angles.

At some point I'm going to want to try to move it farther along toward making it a proper, usable figure. But that's not going to happen this semester. The Sawhorse might, some day though. I'll need to re-topo it and build AO and Normal maps. But the rigging wouldn't be significantly different from last time.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ahhh, OK. It looks good, so at some point down the road, you should consider coming back to it to see how much further along you can go.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
That guy could make some amazing Halloween renders! I wanted to do the Pumpkin King a few years ago, when I first started modeling. I never got around to it. This looks really good...

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Thanks. I'm pretty much convinced that Neill's Jack Pumpkinhead had at least some influence on Burton's concept. Neill introduced him in 1902, for ghod's sake. And he was a regular (if minor) character in the series for as long as the series was being produced (the last "official" Oz book was published in 1963). The Oz books -- apart from the first one -- never had a good reputation with librarians or educators, but plenty of kids loved them.

Of course once can't count on it. I suspect that Pumkinheaded figures were around well before Baum wrote one, or Neill drew him. Jack-O-Lanterns certainly were.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Samurai.jpg

I was working with Roxie for a bit. I started out doing an animation of the kick. I posed her then went through each and every frame to make sure the kick transitioned properly. I added the second skin so I wouldn't have to mess with dynamics, then came up with the idea to do a comic style action shot. I think it worked. @quietrob: what do you think, old friend?

Hornet3d

Wise
View attachment 33166
I was working with Roxie for a bit. I started out doing an animation of the kick. I posed her then went through each and every frame to make sure the kick transitioned properly. I added the second skin so I wouldn't have to mess with dynamics, then came up with the idea to do a comic style action shot. I think it worked. @quietrob: what do you think, old friend?

Glad you used Roxie, a similar render with Dusk would bring tears to my eyes.....well any male figure actually.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Glad you used Roxie, a similar render with Dusk would bring tears to my eyes.....well any male figure actually.
I am not much for using the males for this sort of thing. I will eventually have to when and if I get my comic off the ground, as my main character is a male. But I am having issues with the character's name and until I solve that, everything is on hold.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am not much for using the males for this sort of thing. I will eventually have to when and if I get my comic off the ground, as my main character is a male. But I am having issues with the character's name and until I solve that, everything is on hold.

I have issues like that with stories I try and write and then continually fail to complete. Reminds me of a quote from Peter Ustinov talking about a privates military report which went along the lines of "He constantly sets himself very low standards which he equally consistently fails to meet." Well, as I follow that description the only positive thing I can say is that I am consistent.