• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
There are some really nice renders in here! I am impressed with octane and a little with iray. I'd like to see some Poser renders to compare
All of my renders are Poser 11 Superfly.

And a couple recent ones - again, Superfly.
DawnSERC.jpg

DawnBigCatXurge.jpg

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Current state of the observatory flet: There are simple primitive dummy props serving as placeholders for the orrery and armillary.
This updated observatory will allow for more camera shots from upon the observatory itself, compared to the old version.

A poser-scale doll is standing by the telescope, to give an idea of scale. The beige portion of the ground is the P6-P10 ground plane.

Superfly render test of mid/low poly chairs which can be used to populate a scene:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
IT'S ON SALE ROKKET!!! Unless, of course, the sale price is still out of reach. :(

quietrob

Extraordinary
Plus I think I saw a Superfly emulator on sale...but I would spring for Poser Pro 11 if I were you.

If you're in the mood to buy that is...I would only get it at Rendo and save the storage fee as well.

quietrob

Extraordinary
All of my renders are Poser 11 Superfly.

And a couple recent ones - again, Superfly.
View attachment 26636

View attachment 26637
The first one looks comparable to IRAY or Reality. It's that good. By the way, I like reality and the latest version seems to automate some material conversion tasks. That is something that must be done in Superfly as well. I wrote the creator of Reality (A really nice guy. Extremely helpful) and he gave me some lighting tips. I have to admit I don't always follow them but I was wondering...how many lights did you use in that first picture?

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I am trying to pay down my credit card, my kid starts college in a couple months, and the IRS has me by the short and curlies. I don't have any money for Poser 11....

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
The first one looks comparable to IRAY or Reality. It's that good. By the way, I like reality and the latest version seems to automate some material conversion tasks. That is something that must be done in Superfly as well. I wrote the creator of Reality (A really nice guy. Extremely helpful) and he gave me some lighting tips. I have to admit I don't always follow them but I was wondering...how many lights did you use in that first picture?

3 lights - 2 area lights and one spot. One area to light the scene, one area to provide fill light on her face and one spot to provide light in the background so that the doorway wasn't completely lost in shadow.

Honestly, I don't see a need to change every material in Superfly - except skin. Other than that, most Firefly materials render just fine in Superfly unless there are lots of tricks used for specular lighting. For instance, in the second image, all the textures on Dawn's clothing are Poser Firefly materials. I didn't change any of them. Also the hair and feather mask, the grass - Firefly materials.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Telescope for the observatory flet: As modeled, the telescope & pintle mount assembly (seat is attached and rotates with center shaft) is 745 polys; pretty light on system resources, and okay when it's a distant background object.

If you're making a camera shot from the observatory flet itself with the telescope nearby in the shot, then smooth it out with subdivision; here it is with two levels of subdivision. I might even go three subD for the telescope itself.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I am trying to pay down my credit card, my kid starts college in a couple months, and the IRS has me by the short and curlies. I don't have any money for Poser 11....

The Kids college funds is only a thousand times more important. Heck, the kids cheeseburgers are a thousand times more important. Still, the longer you wait the better the version you get will ultimately be. I think they are up to Service Release 6. There are always more sales.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Speaking of posting images; I just uploaded the final version of my Seeburg to my website.
Red Hen Publications — Publications:

The ones I posted here were done in the Maya Hardware 2.0 rendering engine. The ones on Red Hen were done in mentalRay.
I would like to be able to use that engine at home. But no one seems to have a link to where it can be found. And Maya has evidently abandoned it in favor of Arnold (which I don't have either, although the name turns up at various places in the interface).

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Does the poly count change when it's sub-divided?
Yes, the poly count quadruples with each subdivision. So two levels of subdivision on a 745 poly model will result in 11,920 polys (745 x 4 x 4).
The idea is that you can save on system resources (RAM consumption, total processor cycles for rendering) if the model is in the background, or if your machine is already nearing its memory limit.
You also have the option, if the telescope will be prominent in the render, and/or you have plenty of RAM, to subdivide and get the finer shape.

Zaarin

Brilliant
The Dragonfly (Rendo | dA)

My first render of the year after my computer died at Christmas! I still don't have my entire library installed, but enough to work with. ;) The face is Tanner from "Faces of Youth," if anyone wonders. Anything else is either listed in my Rendo gallery or else just ask. ;)

The Dragonfly_postwork.jpg