• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Tried out some of my new art work editing software in hopes of adding a bit of sparkle..

I'd say it worked. I really do like the first version as well, but the second version with the touch-up definitely conveys a stronger emotional impact. Good work. I appreciate pieces like this, because they make people stop and think...

Carey

Extraordinary
I'd say it worked. I really do like the first version as well, but the second version with the touch-up definitely conveys a stronger emotional impact. Good work. I appreciate pieces like this, because they make people stop and think...
I have been spending time at the Apple Store Looking over the art programs for Mac, bought a program called "Intensify" I am really beginning to like.. Cost me a whole five dollars...Thanks for your comments Seliah...

Hornet3d

Wise

Tried out some of my new art work editing software in hopes of adding a bit of sparkle..
Thanks Hornet for your kind words..

The first render had a coldness about it that sort of suits the subject matter but the skin tone on the right most figure is a little green (mind you that could be shock). Second render is a lot warmer with better skin tones and has a crispness about it. As you were trying to add sparkle I would say you have succeeded. On balance I think the second one has it but I like both.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have been spending time at the Apple Store Looking over the art programs for Mac, bought a program called "Intensify" I am really beginning to like.. Cost me a whole five dollars...Thanks for your comments Seliah...

I'd say that was five dollars well spent. I use Paint Shop Pro, mainly because I have grown up with it over the years, and have a plug in called Perfectly Clear which appears to do the same thing. I use the plug in all the time on photographs but maybe not as much on renders, I suppose it depends on what I am trying to portray with the render.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks Hornet for your kind words..

I like the second one better as well. Very nicely done. I like the title of picture as well and how it encourages you to think about the whole scene.

If you're not familiar with it I highly recommend a piece of mac software called Pixelmator, it only $30 and it's basically photoshop, but since it's designed only for macs it runs faster and more efficiently because they can take advantage of stuff built into the mac, without having to worry about trying to make that same stuff work in Windows (or vice a versa) and you get update for free.

You can use photoshop brushes in it, it does filters and layers, allows for drawing of vector art and so on. Because a lot of people use it instead of photoshop, I've often found that if I find a tutorial that explains how to do something in photoshop, I can google how to do the same thing in Pixelmator and easily do the same thing. That's only failed me once. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but there is a tool in photoshop that lots of texture artists use, that can distort a fill to fit a shape. I haven't yet found a way to do that, but otherwise the program works great for me.

Carey

Extraordinary
I like the second one better as well. Very nicely done. I like the title of picture as well and how it encourages you to think about the whole scene.

If you're not familiar with it I highly recommend a piece of mac software called Pixelmator, it only $30 and it's basically photoshop, but since it's designed only for macs it runs faster and more efficiently because they can take advantage of stuff built into the mac, without having to worry about trying to make that same stuff work in Windows (or vice a versa) and you get update for free.

You can use photoshop brushes in it, it does filters and layers, allows for drawing of vector art and so on. Because a lot of people use it instead of photoshop, I've often found that if I find a tutorial that explains how to do something in photoshop, I can google how to do the same thing in Pixelmator and easily do the same thing. That's only failed me once. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but there is a tool in photoshop that lots of texture artists use, that can distort a fill to fit a shape. I haven't yet found a way to do that, but otherwise the program works great for me.

Thanks ever so much, been looking at that program and you just made up my mind about it, I refuse to support Adobe in their latest "rental" endeavor although I am an old photoshop owner and heavy user, but was always several versions behind the current version. If you want me to use your product entice me, not try and force me. It would be different if I was still working in a studio and making still the big bucks, but I am out of that racket and answer only to my muse. Thanks again for giving me the best reason yet to purchase that program.... I do fully endorse and recommend "intensify", it is on special right now...most impressive five dollar program I have ever purchased...

Carey

Extraordinary

Thanks gadget girl for your comments, I was not out to make a political statement, but I feel it is a duty of the artist to reflect the times in which they are living, as ex-military I very much feel for my brothers and sisters in arms, torn now more then ever by sense of duty and what is right....

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's a great render Carey. I also like the first one, but the second version really "pops" for me. Very nicely done.

I'm going to have to check into that Perfectly Clear plugin, so thanks for the heads-up Hornet. On second thought, $149 for a plugin is a bit much for my virtual wallet.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks gadget girl for your comments, I was not out to make a political statement, but I feel it is a duty of the artist to reflect the times in which they are living, as ex-military I very much feel for my brothers and sisters in arms, torn now more then ever by sense of duty and what is right....

I'm also a vet, so I suspect I understand where you are coming from. I still remember a ship I was on being ordered to strike a weapons facility in Iraq, suspected of making chemical weapons, (back in the days of Saddam.) I remember the captain speaking to us and reflecting on the fact that we were staking it at night, to minimize casualties, especially civilians, but precisely because of that if anyone was likely to be killed it was going to be some poor janitor. There are no easy answers to those situations. I think people often underestimate how aware of the complications and murkiness of any military operation that military personal are. Even more so these days when anyone signing up knows that participating in conflict is a definite possibility.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's a great render Carey. I also like the first one, but the second version really "pops" for me. Very nicely done.

I'm going to have to check into that Perfectly Clear plugin, so thanks for the heads-up Hornet. On second thought, $149 for a plugin is a bit much for my virtual wallet.

I agree with you $149 for a plugin is way too expensive and I would not pay for that either. I have the cut down version that comes as part of the PSP X9 Ultimate version along with a cut down version of Aftershot. I am not sure what the US price is but at the moment the UK site is showing £79.99 for the full version and £62.99 for the upgrade (irrespective of the exchange rate it is normally $ = £ when it comes to prices). I purchased my version sometime last year for around £40 which, as it included these two plugins, was a completely different matter entirely.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ahhhh. I stopped upgrading PSP with version 9, mostly because I had gotten my first version of Photoshop. I still have PSP 7 installed for quick screenshots and such, but I use Photoshop for everything else, so I would have to pay full price for it, and I just can't justify that high a price.

Hornet3d

Wise
Ahhhh. I stopped upgrading PSP with version 9, mostly because I had gotten my first version of Photoshop. I still have PSP 7 installed for quick screenshots and such, but I use Photoshop for everything else, so I would have to pay full price for it, and I just can't justify that high a price.

I understand where you are coming from. I normally skip upgrades and I think this was an upgrade from X7 for me having skipped X8 and I only did it then because it was heavily discounted in a sale. Perfectly Clear is a nice plugin but not worth the cost of full price alone, you need to want the other features of PSP X9 Ultimate to make it worthwhile. The only reason I mentioned it was it does seem to do something very similar to Intensify and, as Carey has shown, it can have quite an impact when someone knows how to get the best from it.

The other point is, as I stated, I use it sparingly on my renders as it often the render is not improved by running it thorough the plugin. Conversely I use it almost all the time on photographs, not sure why this should be the case and it just might be related to my personal preferences.

xmasrose

Eager
Amazing art in this thread!
Got Ken's frog in the Audubon sale a couple days ago and played with it and Lisa's water lilies. A bit of postwork with Nik filters.
The frog.png