• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How do I rig boots created with the feet posed in DS?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
How do I rig boots created with the feet posed in DS?

I have this pair of G3F boots I have reshaped to fit G8F, but they were modeled with the feet posed. How do I rig boots created with the feet posed in DS? I have tried 3 different approaches, but none has worked so far. Like in most puzzles, I am sure this one has a catch. I am starting to suspect that maybe I have to hack the DUF file to make this work?

Any hints on this subject?

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I believe it's this video that walks you through the process of "reversing" the posed shape in the shoe and rigging/mapping it to the un-posed foot.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you, Vas! I will check it out and then try it myself. The part I wasn't getting was exactly on how to reverse the posed shape, so the boots won't fly off when conformed. Fingers crossed, and thank you again! ^___^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Everything has worked perfectly, thank you again for the link! I was wondering if it's possible to reproduce this in Poser? How do we "Bake Joint Rotations" in Poser? That is basically the core operation in this rigging method. Is there such thing in Poser? To bake the default bone rotation on a figure to the current one?

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Glad the DS side of things worked for you!

As far as Poser goes, I haven't used it in ages (I don't even have it installed anymore), and never did use it for any real content creation beyond morphs, so unfortunately that's outside the scope of my knowledge.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That's alright, don't worry - the job is done, and that's what matters. If it comes to that, I can always do the rigging of this kind in DS, and then export it back to Poser with the bones already in the right angles. :)

English Bob

Adventurous
How do we "Bake Joint Rotations" in Poser? That is basically the core operation in this rigging method. Is there such thing in Poser? To bake the default bone rotation on a figure to the current one?

I did it once, by accident, so I can't tell you how to do it, unfortunately. I can at least tell you that it's possible. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I did it once, by accident, so I can't tell you how to do it, unfortunately. I can at least tell you that it's possible. :)

In DS it's all about "Bake Joint Rotations". It turns the current skeleton pose into the default. That makes it possible to rig footwear with the feet posed. I have never heard of this in Poser.

English Bob

Adventurous
In DS it's all about "Bake Joint Rotations". [...] I have never heard of this in Poser.

Indeed not, there is no function like that or any equivalent that I know of - although I'm always happy to be proved wrong when it comes to useful tools that I didn't know I had. I think I did it by fooling with the joint endpoints, but as I say, I couldn't reliably repeat the trick.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Indeed, this is a feature want to have poser. I will mention it to the poser team next time I have a chance
to talk to them.