• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire To Support Poser 10/Pro 2014 And DAZ Studio 4.10 And Above

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You know Riccardo, one of our regular members, Stezza, is a Carrara user, and I haven't heard him complaining too much. You might try and contact him, and ask which version he's using in Carrara, DS or Poser.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I use Carrara 8.5 Pro, occasionally I go back to 8 if I need to test something..

I have Poser Pro 2012 installed but don't use it
I also have the latest Daz Studio installed because DiM updates it for me but I don't use it unless I need something that just doesn't work in Carrara so I use DS to export the model ready for import to Carrara. I don't use Genesis 3 or any products for it as Carrara can't load them up till Daz decides to pull their finger out with an update... it's only been 3 years since the last update..

Most all products ( DS files ) I've bought or free ( like dawn and dusk ) from HW work in Carrara after the mandatory adjustments to textures, only Harry's western tackle gives me real grief.. saying that though there are more and more products from all the stores that are getting harder to work in Carrara but that's not the vendors fault it's Daz's fault for not keeping Carrara software up with the times.

I'd imagine if you use DS or Poser for income that you would have a secondary PC to test any software upgrades before updating the work machine.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Sorry @Miss B but I don't get what you mean above.
I know and appreciate Stezza from the Kiwi renders and the thread started by Lisa B about my "Dawn SE working in Carrara?" ticket, which ended with me writing a tutorial about the topic.
But I didn't have questions for @Stezza, even though I appreciate his input.
I just said that I understand @WillowRaven's thinking, and I listed the software I have and use or do not like/want/can use.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Then I apologize Riccardo, I misunderstood. I thought you were unable to use Carrara, and I knew that Stezza uses it almost exclusively, so I thought he could help.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Thank you and no problem @Miss B; now I get what you meant, maybe my first post in this thread was confusing.
(I can use Carrara: certainly not as much as I would like, but I'm definitely motivated to improve)

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oops...is Stezza a male? I always thought they were female. I just assumed Stezza was short for Stephanie...as I've seen it used that way by someone I know...sorry!

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I discovered this the hard way after stupidly not reading the product requirements for the Big Cat. Now I have a fancy Poser paperweight. >.<

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I want to note something here, because I've noticed that a number of CAs are submitting products as requiring Poser 10 and /or DS 4.8 when there is no reason for it.

Unless you are creating an add-on for a product which requires Poser 10/DS 4.8, please set your Poser files for the lowest version of Poser they are intended for, and list that version as the version they are for when you submit a product.

We will check CA products in lower versions - it's ONLY new HW figures or things created for them that require Poser 10/DS 4.8

EXAMPLES -

You are doing poses for Dusk - since Dusk works in Poser 9 and DS 4.6, THAT is what you should submit the versions as, and the Poser files should be set to Version 9

You are doing poses for the HiveWire Big Cat - Poser files need to be set to Poser 10 and listed as compatible with Poser 10/DS 4.8

You are doing clothing for Dusk - the version depends on how you have done things in terms of Poser - if you use SubD on things and don't have a non-SubD version, Poser files should be set to Poser 10, but if you have not done anything that REQUIRES Poser 10, it can't hurt to keep things at Poser 9.

Hope this makes sense :)

Thanks!

eclark1894

Visionary
I want to note something here, because I've noticed that a number of CAs are submitting products as requiring Poser 10 and /or DS 4.8 when there is no reason for it.

Unless you are creating an add-on for a product which requires Poser 10/DS 4.8, please set your Poser files for the lowest version of Poser they are intended for, and list that version as the version they are for when you submit a product.

We will check CA products in lower versions - it's ONLY new HW figures or things created for them that require Poser 10/DS 4.8

EXAMPLES -

You are doing poses for Dusk - since Dusk works in Poser 9 and DS 4.6, THAT is what you should submit the versions as, and the Poser files should be set to Version 9

You are doing poses for the HiveWire Big Cat - Poser files need to be set to Poser 10 and listed as compatible with Poser 10/DS 4.8

You are doing clothing for Dusk - the version depends on how you have done things in terms of Poser - if you use SubD on things and don't have a non-SubD version, Poser files should be set to Poser 10, but if you have not done anything that REQUIRES Poser 10, it can't hurt to keep things at Poser 9.

Hope this makes sense :)

Thanks!

What if I'm doing props that will literally work in almost any version of Poser, however, my textures were only done for Superfly? Does that mean that I am REQUIRED to make sure they will at least work in P9 Firefly? What if I don't have P9? ( I do, of course. Heck, I've got P2! That was purely a rhetorical question!)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
What if I'm doing props that will literally work in almost any version of Poser, however, my textures were only done for Superfly? Does that mean that I am REQUIRED to make sure they will at least work in P9 Firefly? What if I don't have P9? ( I do, of course. Heck, I've got P2! That was purely a rhetorical question!)

Earl, if you're only doing Superfly materials then you have to list P11 as the lowest version it will work in.

If you have no P9 materials, it can't be TESTED in P9.

I make sure my materials work in Firefly and Superfly.

The version number in stores is to indicate the lowest version it will work in.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yep, what Traci said (thank you, Traci! :)).

The point of my post was just to make sure people know that just because HW products will be supporting Poser 10 as the lowest version, that does not mean CAs must do the same - if they have something that works in Poser 6 on up, that's fine :).

If it's just supporting Poser 11 for some reason, that's also fine.

Keep in mind that even if you didn't have Poser 9 and were doing something that should work there, you would want to find a beta tester with PP2012 or Poser 9 to check things.

The main difference in Poser 10 is SubDivision. Also Poser 9 does not have Gamma 2.2 (though PP2012 does).

Here's a great chart telling you what's new in different versions from Poser Pro (the original one prior to Poser 7) through PP Game Dev (just before Poser 11):

http://my.smithmicro.com/docs/poser/PPGameDev-P10-PP2014-P10-Debut-Feature-Comparison-Matrix.pdf

And one comparing 10 through 11:
http://my.smithmicro.com/Poser11andPoserPro11FeatureComparison_v6.pdf

Just need to be sure that the internal file versions are set to the lowest version the product is intended for.

Poser saves with the program version you are using. That number is at the top of every Poser file and in some cases, also in a few other places. So, for example, if you are creating something in Poser 11 but it will work in Poser 10 as well, you need to change the internal versions to "number 10". You can do a search and replace in a good text editor or use Netherworks' awesome Creator's Toybox that is in the store to do this.

I have not yet shot a CA for forgetting to do this ;) . I'll change them and remind people for the next time.

A question; I am wanting to develop content for Dawn and probably Dusk as well, as I posted in another thread, but was wondering if I could collaborate with another CA to provide versions of the content for Poser, as I don't use it myself. My main concern would be the materials, as the rest can be made and exported from DAZ Studio.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
You certainly can! We have a number of CAs who collaborate and we definitely encourage it for those who want to do so. You'd just decide between you what split you'd want on the commission and let us know when you submit (just one of you would submit, but I'll communicate with both of you during the QAV process). Might want to post a thread here or just find someone in the store you'd like to collaborate with and pm them (it's called "start a conversation" in our forums):

Developing for Dawn

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
By the way, I could swear Lisa posted this somewhere, but we are now listing all new DS products as compatible with DS 4.9+, and QAV will ONLY test in DS 4.9+.

Now, that does NOT mean products for DS will NOT work in DS 4.8, some still might. However, we won't guarantee that. We have found products, when doing QAV, that work in 4.9 but NOT in 4.8.

If you are still creating in DS 4.8, that's FINE. We just will test it in 4.9 (I've not found ANY products that work in 4.8 but won't work in 4.9)

If you have tested in a lower version, and know it works there, you can mention that in your product thread when you announce the release.

Additionally, I'm starting to put the compatible versions of the programs in the short Description of the product pages to lessen confusion.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Almost a year and a half ago, we announced that HW created products would support Poser 10+ and DAZ Studio 4.8+ (later changed to 4.9+, which is the case at this time).

At the time, we said that this was NOT affecting CA products.

We are now changing that to affect CA product as well. There are new features in Poser 10 and up that are being used by many CAs in their products, yet some are being listed as Poser 9 compatible, and when we get them in QAV, we find they do not work in Poser 9/Pro 2012. It is probably hard to find people who still use it to do the beta testing, so things aren't typically being beta tested in that version.

So, from now on, new Poser products will be listed as compatible with Poser 10+ (or 11+ for Superfly only products) and ONLY tested by QAV in those versions.

Usually we ask that people set the internal version of the files to the lowest version that it is intended for, but if you have things you think probably will work in Poser 9, you can set the internal versions to either version 9 OR version 10. However, both the ReadMe and Product pages will reflect Poser 10+.

For now, we are still supporting and testing in DS 4.9. We do have 4.10 available for products that require that version as a minimum, but unless it IS required, items will be listed as compatible with DS 4.9+.

Thanks!